7.8 Release Update

Austin Seipp-4
Friends,

After talking with SPJ, we've decided that the cutoff date for the 7.8
feature window will essentially start on Monday, the 16th. This is the
beginning of the week before ICFP. This is a week from tomorrow.

Afterwords, I suspect we will cut the 7.8 branch in early October (my
notes tentatively say Oct. 9th.) This will give us a few weeks of
straight bugfixing.

Don't let this scare you too much. We're doing this at the beginning
of the week so we have time to sort things out. Bug fixes will of
course continuously be welcome until the 7.8 branch.

However, for pending features, I'd like a status update. Everyone
mentioned below, please reply to clarify anything:

 * Iavor Diatchki and SPJ are working together on the type-nats-simple
branch. I believe this will hopefully land in time. Iavor, SPJ - can
you comment here?

 * Trevor and Iavor are also working on kinds without data. Any word here?

 * Geoffrey is currently moving, but he says the SIMD work and new
template-haskell work will land by the end of this week, which is
great.

 * Patrick Palka has a few loose ends to tie off for the parallel
compilation driver. I talked to him today, and after Andreas committed
his bugfix to base, I believe everything is now working, with the
deadlocks sorted out. Patrick, can you confirm? We can get this merged
ASAP if so.

 * Pedro and Richard - what's the story on propositional equality,
etc? This is mentioned on the status page[1] but I'm not sure what
else needs to be done. I know Pedro committed the work to make manual
Typeable instances an error, which is great.

 * Luite and Edsko will be talking about some final changes to the
hooks patch, and afterwords it can hopefully be integrated. I'll keep
up with them this week.

 * I am currently working on integrating the Applicative-Monad
warning, but this requires some upstream patches for the build to
work. However, we still need to sync several upstream libraries, and
this will be happening over the next few weeks. Therefore, I may
commit it, and incrementally fix validation errors as time goes on and
me and Herbert sync upstreams.

IMO, most of these look to be in good shape, I think.

If you *do not think you'll make it by the 16th*, please let me know.
We can possibly still land it the week of the 16th, provided I know
ASAP. But we really really need to know, because many people will be
gone the following week.

In the following few days, I'm hoping going to finish off everything I
can in the patch queue, and fix my remaining bugs, and investigate
Dynamic GHCi in particular.

Again, if you don't think you can make it on the 16th, but still
within the week, we can of discuss it.

Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671

7.8 Release Update

Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦)
Hi Austin,

I would like to ask about profiling and dynamic linking.

If I understand correctly, GHC 7.8 with cabal-install 1.18.x.x uses
dynamic linking by default (except on FreeBSD). But GHC 7.8 provides a
profile library only for static linking. An example is the base
library:

        libHSbase-4.7.0.0.a
        libHSbase-4.7.0.0-ghc7.7.20130907.so*
        libHSbase-4.7.0.0_p.a

Profile libraries for dynamic linking are not provided. So, I got
troubles when I tried to take profile of my programs. I need to
specify "--disable-shared" explicitly to cabal-install. (This sometime
fails if Build-Type: is Custom.)

Is this intentional? Are there any technical reasons to not provide
dynamic profile libraries?

--Kazu

> [...]
> warning, but this requires some upstream patches for the build to
> work. However, we still need to sync several upstream libraries, and
> this will be happening over the next few weeks. Therefore, I may
> commit it, and incrementally fix validation errors as time goes on and
> me and Herbert sync upstreams.
>
> IMO, most of these look to be in good shape, I think.
>
> If you *do not think you'll make it by the 16th*, please let me know.
> We can possibly still land it the week of the 16th, provided I know
> ASAP. But we really really need to know, because many people will be
> gone the following week.
>
> In the following few days, I'm hoping going to finish off everything I
> can in the patch queue, and fix my remaining bugs, and investigate
> Dynamic GHCi in particular.
>
> Again, if you don't think you can make it on the 16th, but still

Kazu,

Dynamic should be available with anything, including profiling. This
is probably more an artifact of your mk/build.mk setup.

When you look in there, check carefully which BuildFlavour you have
set. The relevant variable is GhcLibWays. For example,
BuildFlavour=perf will add 'p' which is profiling, and also 'dyn' if
the platform supports shared libraries. BuildFlavour=quick however,
would not set this.

If you have a build tree, you can do:

$ make show VALUE=GhcLibWays

which should print out a string containing the enabled Ways.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM, Kazu Yamamoto <kazu at iij.ad.jp> wrote:

> [...]
>> warning, but this requires some upstream patches for the build to
>> work. However, we still need to sync several upstream libraries, and
>> this will be happening over the next few weeks. Therefore, I may
>> commit it, and incrementally fix validation errors as time goes on and
>> me and Herbert sync upstreams.
>>
>> IMO, most of these look to be in good shape, I think.
>>
>> If you *do not think you'll make it by the 16th*, please let me know.
>> We can possibly still land it the week of the 16th, provided I know
>> ASAP. But we really really need to know, because many people will be
>> gone the following week.
>>
>> In the following few days, I'm hoping going to finish off everything I
>> can in the patch queue, and fix my remaining bugs, and investigate
>> Dynamic GHCi in particular.
>>
>> Again, if you don't think you can make it on the 16th, but still

Austin,

> Dynamic should be available with anything, including profiling. This
> is probably more an artifact of your mk/build.mk setup.

My mk/build.mk contains just one line:

InstallExtraPackages = YES

> If you have a build tree, you can do:
>
> $ make show VALUE=GhcLibWays
>
> which should print out a string containing the enabled Ways.

It printed:

----
% make show VALUE=GhcLibWays
make -r --no-print-directory -f ghc.mk show
GhcLibWays="v p dyn"
----

This does not install dynamic libraries for profiling in my
environment.

What's are missing? And why aren't they set by default?

--Kazu

7.8 Release Update

Trevor Elliott-3
Hi Austin,

Iavor and I have got the data kinds syntax changes up to date with
master, on the data-kind-syntax branch.  The -XDataKinds section of the
manual has been updated to describe the new syntax.  During a validate
run, there were some problems building haddock, so I'm going to look
into that tonight.

There are tests for the data kind syntax in the test suite, currently
on the data-kind-syntax branch.

Other than the haddock fix, I think that we're ready to go.

Thanks!

--trevor

On Sun 08 Sep 2013 04:27:33 PM PDT, Austin Seipp wrote:

> Friends,
>
> After talking with SPJ, we've decided that the cutoff date for the 7.8
> feature window will essentially start on Monday, the 16th. This is the
> beginning of the week before ICFP. This is a week from tomorrow.
>
> Afterwords, I suspect we will cut the 7.8 branch in early October (my
> notes tentatively say Oct. 9th.) This will give us a few weeks of
> straight bugfixing.
>
> Don't let this scare you too much. We're doing this at the beginning
> of the week so we have time to sort things out. Bug fixes will of
> course continuously be welcome until the 7.8 branch.
>
> However, for pending features, I'd like a status update. Everyone
> mentioned below, please reply to clarify anything:
>
>   * Iavor Diatchki and SPJ are working together on the type-nats-simple
> branch. I believe this will hopefully land in time. Iavor, SPJ - can
> you comment here?
>
>   * Trevor and Iavor are also working on kinds without data. Any word here?
>
>   * Geoffrey is currently moving, but he says the SIMD work and new
> template-haskell work will land by the end of this week, which is
> great.
>
>   * Patrick Palka has a few loose ends to tie off for the parallel
> compilation driver. I talked to him today, and after Andreas committed
> his bugfix to base, I believe everything is now working, with the
> deadlocks sorted out. Patrick, can you confirm? We can get this merged
> ASAP if so.
>
>   * Pedro and Richard - what's the story on propositional equality,
> etc? This is mentioned on the status page[1] but I'm not sure what
> else needs to be done. I know Pedro committed the work to make manual
> Typeable instances an error, which is great.
>
>   * Luite and Edsko will be talking about some final changes to the
> hooks patch, and afterwords it can hopefully be integrated. I'll keep
> up with them this week.
>
>   * I am currently working on integrating the Applicative-Monad
> warning, but this requires some upstream patches for the build to
> work. However, we still need to sync several upstream libraries, and
> this will be happening over the next few weeks. Therefore, I may
> commit it, and incrementally fix validation errors as time goes on and
> me and Herbert sync upstreams.
>
> IMO, most of these look to be in good shape, I think.
>
> If you *do not think you'll make it by the 16th*, please let me know.
> We can possibly still land it the week of the 16th, provided I know
> ASAP. But we really really need to know, because many people will be
> gone the following week.
>
> In the following few days, I'm hoping going to finish off everything I
> can in the patch queue, and fix my remaining bugs, and investigate
> Dynamic GHCi in particular.
>
> Again, if you don't think you can make it on the 16th, but still
> within the week, we can of discuss it.

7.8 Release Update

Iavor Diatchki
Hello Austin,

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Austin Seipp <aseipp at pobox.com> wrote:

>  * Iavor Diatchki and SPJ are working together on the type-nats-simple
> branch. I believe this will hopefully land in time. Iavor, SPJ - can
> you comment here?

I think we are on track to get this done on time.  The type-nats-simple
branch should be working (at least when I build it with no dynamic
libraries) and up to date with HEAD, and there are some tests in a branched
version of the testuite.

One question:  when I try to validate things, my build fails with this
error:

Reachable modules from DynFlags out of date
Please fix compiler/ghc.mk, or building DLLs on Windows may break (#7780)
Extra modules: BinIface BuildTyCl CoreLint FamInst Finder IOEnv IfaceEnv
LoadIface PrelInfo TcIface TcMType TcRnMonad TcRnTypes TcTypeNats

Any advice on what might be going wrong?

-Iavor
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

7.8 Release Update

Edward Z. Yang
Excerpts from Kazu Yamamoto (????)'s message of Sun Sep 08 19:36:19 -0700 2013:
> ----
> % make show VALUE=GhcLibWays
> make -r --no-print-directory -f ghc.mk show
> GhcLibWays="v p dyn"
> ----

Yes, it looks like you are missing p_dyn from this list. I think
this is a bug in the build system.  When I look at ghc.mk
it only verifies that the p way is present, not p_dyn; and I don't
see any knobs which turn on p_dyn.

However, I must admit to being a little confused; didn't we abandon
dynamic by default and switch to only using dynamic for GHCi (in which
case the profiling libraries ought not to matter)?

Edward

Preventing manual instances

Joachim Breitner-2
Dear Predro,

Am Sonntag, den 08.09.2013, 18:27 -0500 schrieb Austin Seipp:
> I know Pedro committed the work to make manual
> Typeable instances an error, which is great.

the Coercible class has a similar property, and I added the check to
prevent manual instances to checkValidInstance in TcValidity:
https://github.com/nomeata/ghc/commit/5e3f13
while you did it in tcInstDecls1 in TcInstDecls:
http://git.haskell.org/?p=ghc.git;a=commitdiff;h=5335e56953c4bbe18166039c06256e725f074b64

I?m happy to follow suite if you tell me that TcInstDecls is indeed the
better spot for such a check.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim ?nomeata? Breitner
  mail at joachim-breitner.de ? http://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  Debian Developer: nomeata at debian.org

Preventing manual instances

José Pedro Magalhães
Hi Joachim,

I wouldn't know which place is preferable. Simon?

(Your snippet did remind me that I forgot to remove the
-fwarn-typeable-instances flag...
working on that now.)

Thanks,
Pedro

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Joachim Breitner
<mail at joachim-breitner.de>wrote:

> Dear Predro,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 08.09.2013, 18:27 -0500 schrieb Austin Seipp:
> > I know Pedro committed the work to make manual
> > Typeable instances an error, which is great.
>
> the Coercible class has a similar property, and I added the check to
> prevent manual instances to checkValidInstance in TcValidity:
> https://github.com/nomeata/ghc/commit/5e3f13
> while you did it in tcInstDecls1 in TcInstDecls:
>
> http://git.haskell.org/?p=ghc.git;a=commitdiff;h=5335e56953c4bbe18166039c06256e725f074b64
>
> I?m happy to follow suite if you tell me that TcInstDecls is indeed the
> better spot for such a check.
>
> Greetings,
> Joachim
>
> --
> Joachim ?nomeata? Breitner
>   mail at joachim-breitner.de ? http://www.joachim-breitner.de/
>   Jabber: nomeata at joachim-breitner.de  ? GPG-Key: 0x4743206C
>   Debian Developer: nomeata at debian.org

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

7.8 Release Update

Richard Eisenberg-2

On Sep 8, 2013, at 7:27 PM, Austin Seipp <aseipp at pobox.com> wrote:

> * Pedro and Richard - what's the story on propositional equality,
> etc? This is mentioned on the status page[1] but I'm not sure what
> else needs to be done. I know Pedro committed the work to make manual
> Typeable instances an error, which is great.

This work is complete and has been pushed for some time -- just haven't gotten around to updating the release notes. I'll get to it today.

Thanks,
Richard

7.8 Release Update

Austin Seipp-4
Thanks Richard!

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Richard Eisenberg <eir at cis.upenn.edu> wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2013, at 7:27 PM, Austin Seipp <aseipp at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> * Pedro and Richard - what's the story on propositional equality,
>> etc? This is mentioned on the status page[1] but I'm not sure what
>> else needs to be done. I know Pedro committed the work to make manual
>> Typeable instances an error, which is great.
>
> This work is complete and has been pushed for some time -- just haven't gotten around to updating the release notes. I'll get to it today.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671

7.8 Release Update

Austin Seipp-4
Excellent. Simon, are you privvy to this work at all? We lightly
talked about it last week, but I'm not sure if you've reviewed it. Or
perhaps Pedro or someone else could if we have time (I seem to
remember he drew up the initial design points.)

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM, Trevor Elliott <trevor at galois.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> warning, but this requires some upstream patches for the build to
>> work. However, we still need to sync several upstream libraries, and
>> this will be happening over the next few weeks. Therefore, I may
>> commit it, and incrementally fix validation errors as time goes on and
>> me and Herbert sync upstreams.
>>
>> IMO, most of these look to be in good shape, I think.
>>
>> If you *do not think you'll make it by the 16th*, please let me know.
>> We can possibly still land it the week of the 16th, provided I know
>> ASAP. But we really really need to know, because many people will be
>> gone the following week.
>>
>> In the following few days, I'm hoping going to finish off everything I
>> can in the patch queue, and fix my remaining bugs, and investigate
>> Dynamic GHCi in particular.
>>
>> Again, if you don't think you can make it on the 16th, but still

Iavor, I think we'll need to update the list of DynFlags-imported
modules for the windows DLL split for this to work.

Check compiler/ghc.mk, and look at the variable
'compiler_stage2_dll0_modules' flag. This essentially contains a list
of the modules reachable from DynFlags. Try updating this list with
the offending modules that dll-split reported, and see if things go
OK. If not, let me know and I'll check out your branch and take a
look.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 1:40 AM, Iavor Diatchki <iavor.diatchki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Austin,
>

> On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Austin Seipp <aseipp at pobox.com> wrote:
>>

>>  * Iavor Diatchki and SPJ are working together on the type-nats-simple
>> branch. I believe this will hopefully land in time. Iavor, SPJ - can
>> you comment here?
>

> I think we are on track to get this done on time.  The type-nats-simple
> branch should be working (at least when I build it with no dynamic
> libraries) and up to date with HEAD, and there are some tests in a branched
> version of the testuite.
>
> One question:  when I try to validate things, my build fails with this
> error:
>
> Reachable modules from DynFlags out of date
> Please fix compiler/ghc.mk, or building DLLs on Windows may break (#7780)
> Extra modules: BinIface BuildTyCl CoreLint FamInst Finder IOEnv IfaceEnv
> LoadIface PrelInfo TcIface TcMType TcRnMonad TcRnTypes TcTypeNats
>
> Any advice on what might be going wrong?
>
> -Iavor

Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671

7.8 Release Update

Simon Peyton Jones
Yes I will try to review it this week. (This is the first time I've had access to the code.)

Simon

I think I'd prefer all of these checks to be done in checkValidInstHead. It makes sense... it's just the kind of thing that checkValidInstHead is for. It would remove clutter (and filtration) from tcInstDecls1.

The same goes for the SafeHaskell checks in tcInstDecls1.

I'm not sure who is willing to do this?  If no one wants to do it now can someone make a ticket? But it might be easier just to cut to the chase and do it :-)

Thanks

Simon

Johan Tibell-2
Is it OK if I release Cabal-1.18.0.1 on Monday if we want it to ship
with GHC 7.8? 1.18.0.1 is a tiny bugfix release on top of 1.18.0.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones
<simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Yes I will try to review it this week. (This is the first time I've had access to the code.)
>
> Simon

I'm in the "to" field alone. Are you asking me?  I have no opinion!  But Monday 16 sounds fine to me.

| > |
| > | Excellent. Simon, are you privvy to this work at all? We lightly
| > | talked about it last week, but I'm not sure if you've reviewed it.
| Or
| > | perhaps Pedro or someone else could if we have time (I seem to
| > | remember he drew up the initial design points.)
| > |

| > | master,
| manual
| > | has
| there
| > | were
| > | tonight.

| currently
| > | on the

| the
| > | 7.8
| is
| > | the

| (my

| beginning

| > | simple
| can

| word

| new

| parallel
| > | committed
| > | merged

| equality,
| what
| manual

| the
| keep

| and
| on
| > | and

| know.
| know
| be

| everything
| investigate

| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | --
| > | Regards,
| > | Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671

7.8 Release Update

Austin Seipp-4
Herbert brought this question to my attention earlier - what's the
cutoff date for boot libraries?

IMO, I think boot library updates can happen until the actual branch
in Oct. I'm planning on pushing the Applicative-Monad patch today,
which will require some upstream coordination as well, including a
patch to Cabal I believe.

Short answer: yes, that'll be fine.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it OK if I release Cabal-1.18.0.1 on Monday if we want it to ship
> with GHC 7.8? 1.18.0.1 is a tiny bugfix release on top of 1.18.0.
>
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones
> <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Yes I will try to review it this week. (This is the first time I've had access to the code.)
>>
>> Simon

Simon Marlow-7
On 09/09/13 08:14, Edward Z. Yang wrote:

> Excerpts from Kazu Yamamoto (????)'s message of Sun Sep 08 19:36:19 -0700 2013:
>> ----
>> % make show VALUE=GhcLibWays
>> make -r --no-print-directory -f ghc.mk show
>> GhcLibWays="v p dyn"
>> ----
>
> Yes, it looks like you are missing p_dyn from this list. I think
> this is a bug in the build system.  When I look at ghc.mk
> it only verifies that the p way is present, not p_dyn; and I don't
> see any knobs which turn on p_dyn.
>
> However, I must admit to being a little confused; didn't we abandon
> dynamic by default and switch to only using dynamic for GHCi (in which
> case the profiling libraries ought not to matter)?

I think Kazu is saying that when he builds something with profiling
using cabal-install, it fails because cabal-install tries to build a
dynamic version too.  We don't want dyanmic/profiled libraries (there's
no point, you can't load them into GHCi).  Perhaps this is something
that needs fixing in cabal-install?

7.8 Release Update

Edward Z. Yang
> I think Kazu is saying that when he builds something with profiling
> using cabal-install, it fails because cabal-install tries to build a
> dynamic version too.  We don't want dyanmic/profiled libraries (there's
> no point, you can't load them into GHCi).  Perhaps this is something
> that needs fixing in cabal-install?

Agreed, sounds like a Cabal install bug.

Edward

123