[8.12] Documentation plans

Hécate
Hello ghc-devs

For everyone who doesn't know me (yet), I am Hécate, and I coordinate
the the Haskell Docs initiative.

You may have seen me on various community channels and on social media
to recruit
lost souls^W^Wmotivated volunteers to help improve the documentation of
the `base` library.
It can be a daunting task, hence this page that I set up to guide
newcomers and track ongoing
work[0]

The point of my message is the following:

If there are any modules you would like to see prioritised for the next
release (8.12), please contact us.
Current efforts are very organic and stem from personal hardships with
the docs, but if you feel
that some parts of the docs have been left too long on their own, give
us a heads-up.

If you want to personally take on a module whose documentation you deem
lacking,
feel free to join us on #Haskell-docs[1] , so we can coordinate and
avoid multiple people
working at the same time in an uncoordinated manner towards the same goal.

And finally if you do not wish to get involved but still wish to
support, we communicate
on Twitter[2] and the Fediverse[3].

I would like to end this email by thanking Ben and Carter for their
support and guidance.
The Core Libraries Committee has been instrumental to the development of
these efforts.

Cheers, and take care.

[0]: https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/issues/17929
[1]: https://webchat.freenode.net/ (enter #Haskell-docs in the 'channel'
field)
[2]: twitter.com/search?q=%23HaskellDocs
[3]: https://search.social/?q=%23haskelldocs

--
Hécate

IRC: Uniaika
Twitter: @TechnoEmpress
Fediverse: @[hidden email]

Re: [8.12] Documentation plans

Ben Gamari-2
Hécate <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello ghc-devs
>
> For everyone who doesn't know me (yet), I am Hécate, and I coordinate
> the the Haskell Docs initiative.

Thank you again for taking this on, Hécate! It is invaluable work.

Cheers,

 - Ben

Re: [8.12] Documentation plans

Sandy Maguire
I'm interested in helping, but base has always been a particularly mysterious thing IMO. Where is its codebase? Can I just send PRs at it? Making this an easier thing to do (and find out) I think would greatly help to mobilize the community on the documentation front.

On May 6, 2020 1:09:09 AM EDT, Sandy Maguire <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I'm interested in helping, but base has always been a particularly
>mysterious thing IMO. Where is its codebase? Can I just send PRs at it?
>Making this an easier thing to do (and find out) I think would greatly
>help
>to mobilize the community on the documentation front.
>
>On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 2:13 PM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hécate <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > Hello ghc-devs
>> >
>> > For everyone who doesn't know me (yet), I am Hécate, and I
>coordinate
>> > the the Haskell Docs initiative.
>> >
>> Thank you again for taking this on, Hécate! It is invaluable work.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>>  - Ben

The source for base located in the ghc repository in the libraries/base directory.

I have added a mention of this fact to the documentation tracking ticket.

Cheers,

- Ben