8.12 plans

Ben Gamari-3
Hi everyone,

The time is again upon us to start thinking about release planning for
the next major release: GHC 8.12. In keeping with our 6-month release
schedule, I propose the following schedule:

 * Mid-June 2020: Aim to have all major features in the tree
 * Late-June 2020: Cut the ghc-8.12 branch
 * June - August 2020: 3 alpha releases
 * 1 September 2020: beta release
 * 25 September 2020: Final 8.12.1 release

So, if you have any major features which you would like to merge for
8.12, now is the time to start planning how to wrap them up in the next
month or so. As always, do let me know if you think this may be
problematic and we can discuss options.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: 8.12 plans

Facundo Domínguez-3
Hello Ben,

Matthías Páll and I are working on an implementation of QualifiedDo [1] with the aim to get it merged on time. We are trying to get a small pull request submitted in the first week of June.

Cheers,
Facundo

Domínguez, Facundo <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello Ben,
>
> Matthías Páll and I are working on an implementation of QualifiedDo [1]
> with the aim to get it merged on time. We are trying to get a small pull
> request submitted in the first week of June.

Thanks for the heads-up, Facundo! I've added this to the milestone.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: 8.12 plans

Matthew Pickering
Patches I would like merged:

* Short ByteString Patch - seems stalled again
* My patches to allow compacting a ModIface - Need to put these up for review
* Make Q (TExp a) a newtype (Proposal 195
-https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/195) - Not yet
written but will not be a big effort

Cheers,

Matt

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 8:48 PM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Domínguez, Facundo <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Hello Ben,
> >
> > Matthías Páll and I are working on an implementation of QualifiedDo [1]
> > with the aim to get it merged on time. We are trying to get a small pull
> > request submitted in the first week of June.
> >
> Thanks for the heads-up, Facundo! I've added this to the milestone.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben

Re: 8.12 plans

Ben Gamari-3
Matthew Pickering <[hidden email]> writes:

> Patches I would like merged:
>
> * Short ByteString Patch - seems stalled again

Indeed I think dxld was going to investigate the unregisterised
regression but frankly I'm happy enough just to merge as-is. I strongly
suspect that the issue is just a change in GC timing.

> * My patches to allow compacting a ModIface - Need to put these up for review
> * Make Q (TExp a) a newtype (Proposal 195
> -https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/195) - Not yet
> written but will not be a big effort

Thanks Matt! Added to the status page [1].

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/status/ghc-8.12.1

Re: 8.12 plans

Moritz Angermann-2
I have a few aarch64 linker patches I'll need to open MRs for. They
are mostly 5-10
line changes, but will give us a working linker :-)

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 2:13 AM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> The time is again upon us to start thinking about release planning for
> the next major release: GHC 8.12. In keeping with our 6-month release
> schedule, I propose the following schedule:
>
>  * Mid-June 2020: Aim to have all major features in the tree
>  * Late-June 2020: Cut the ghc-8.12 branch
>  * June - August 2020: 3 alpha releases
>  * 1 September 2020: beta release
>  * 25 September 2020: Final 8.12.1 release
>
> So, if you have any major features which you would like to merge for
> 8.12, now is the time to start planning how to wrap them up in the next
> month or so. As always, do let me know if you think this may be
> problematic and we can discuss options.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben

Re: 8.12 plans

Sylvain Henry-2

Hi Ben,

ghc-bignum (!2231) is ready to be merged for 8.12. We are just waiting for bytestring/text maintainers to merge 2 simple patches.

Thanks,
Sylvain

On 05/05/2020 20:12, Ben Gamari wrote:
Hi everyone,

The time is again upon us to start thinking about release planning for
the next major release: GHC 8.12. In keeping with our 6-month release
schedule, I propose the following schedule:

 * Mid-June 2020: Aim to have all major features in the tree
 * Late-June 2020: Cut the ghc-8.12 branch
 * June - August 2020: 3 alpha releases
 * 1 September 2020: beta release
 * 25 September 2020: Final 8.12.1 release

So, if you have any major features which you would like to merge for
8.12, now is the time to start planning how to wrap them up in the next
month or so. As always, do let me know if you think this may be
problematic and we can discuss options.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: 8.12 plans

John Cotton Ericson

In that case I should perhaps try to get in !1102, which makes all the fixed-sized prim types always available, in too?

I'm fine either way, but figure it's nice for any CPP to deal with the fixed and bignum numeric representation changing across a single release, and the schedule gives us time to patch important packages that need it between mid-June and the end of September.

Cheers,

John