8.2.1 Status

Ben Gamari-3
Hello everyone,

GHC 8.2.1 release candidate 2 has been out for a few weeks now and,
while it turned up a number of issues, it seems that the release is
(slowly) solidifying. Currently the ghc-8.2 branch has nearly 50 commits
since the -rc2 tag, fixing many of the issues that have been reported.
While we were hoping that 8.2 would require only two release candidates,
it seems pretty clear that a third is in order.

At this point, there are still a few more tickets in need of
resolution before -rc3 release candidate can be cut. Hopefully these
will be sorted out in the coming week, which means that we can cut a new
source release by mid-next week, with the binary releases coming a week
later.

Unfortunately this all means that we'll realistically be looking at a
8.2.1 release date sometime near the beginning of July. As always, help
is greatly appreciated; drop by #ghc if you would like to help squash
some bugs.

Cheers,

- Ben