Quantcast

A Mascot

heathmatlock
I liked Go's mascot, and I figure it couldn't hurt to have our own. I spent the past hour making this:
http://i.imgur.com/Mib6Q.png

What do you think?

--
Heath Matlock
+1 256 274 4225

Re: A Mascot

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
On 16 November 2011 12:01, heathmatlock <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I liked Go's mascot, and I figure it couldn't hurt to have our own. I spent
> the past hour making this:
> http://i.imgur.com/Mib6Q.png
>
> What do you think?

Ummmmm.... do we _really_ need a mascot?  And no offence to your
artistic abilities, but even if we did, I don't see how a lamb relates
to Haskell :/

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]

Re: A Mascot

Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons
I don't see how a lamb relates to Haskell :/

The lamb is named Da.

Re: A Mascot

Brandon Allbery
On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 20:06, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ummmmm.... do we _really_ need a mascot?  And no offence to your
artistic abilities, but even if we did, I don't see how a lamb relates
to Haskell :/

Lamb-da, obviously.

--
brandon s allbery                                      [hidden email]

Re: A Mascot

heathmatlock
On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ummmmm.... do we _really_ need a mascot?

I don't think a programming community every really needs a mascot, just nice to have.

And no offence to your
artistic abilities, but even if we did, I don't see how a lamb relates
to Haskell :/

The lamb is a play on lambda calculus.

--
Heath Matlock
+1 256 274 4225

Re: A Mascot

heathmatlock
On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 7:39 PM, Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't see how a lamb relates to Haskell :/

The lamb is named Da.

That works too. I couldn't resist:

http://i.imgur.com/5222B.png

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_the_Lambda_Calculus for reference.

--
Heath Matlock
+1 256 274 4225

Re: A Mascot

Jeremy Shaw-3
I thought we already had a mascot?

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell/attachments/20090401/9fb8fa05/haskell-mascot.jpg

:p

- jeremy

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 7:01 PM, heathmatlock <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I liked Go's mascot, and I figure it couldn't hurt to have our own. I spent
> the past hour making this:
> http://i.imgur.com/Mib6Q.png
>
> What do you think?
>
> --
> Heath Matlock
> +1 256 274 4225

Re: A Mascot

John Meacham
People tend to concentrate on the lambda which cooresponds to the
functional aspect of haskell when designing logos. Not nearly enough
attention is paid to the other striking feature, the laziness. The
'bottom' symbol _|_ should feature prominently. The two most defining
features of haskell are that it is purely functional and _|_ inhabits
every type. The combination of which is very powerful.

    John

Re: A Mascot

Albert Y. C. Lai
On 11-11-15 08:01 PM, heathmatlock wrote:
> http://i.imgur.com/Mib6Q.png

Curry had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb...

Re: A Mascot

heathmatlock

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 10:18 PM, John Meacham <[hidden email]> wrote:
People tend to concentrate on the lambda which cooresponds to the
functional aspect of haskell when designing logos. Not nearly enough
attention is paid to the other striking feature, the laziness. The
'bottom' symbol _|_ should feature prominently. The two most defining
features of haskell are that it is purely functional and _|_ inhabits
every type. The combination of which is very powerful.

   John

I would have to think about this a bit longer, but here's the symbol reworked onto the helmet:

http://i.imgur.com/ZziGQ.png

--
Heath Matlock
+1 256 274 4225

Re: A Mascot

heathmatlock
Da the lamb, I like that.

--
Heath Matlock
+1 256 274 4225

Re: A Mascot

heathmatlock
Last image for the night, http://i.imgur.com/CE9Tk.png

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:03 PM, heathmatlock <[hidden email]> wrote:
Da the lamb, I like that.

--
Heath Matlock

--
Heath Matlock
+1 256 274 4225

Re: A Mascot

Karol Samborski
2011/11/16 heathmatlock <[hidden email]>:
> Last image for the night, http://i.imgur.com/CE9Tk.png

Great! I like it very much.

Best,
Karol Samborski

Re: A Mascot

Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons
People tend to concentrate on the lambda which cooresponds to the
functional aspect of haskell when designing logos. Not nearly enough
attention is paid to the other striking feature, the laziness. The
'bottom' symbol _|_ should feature prominently. The two most defining
features of haskell are that it is purely functional and _|_ inhabits
every type. The combination of which is very powerful.

Yeah, but Lamb Bottom doesn't work.

Re: A Mascot

Ertugrul Söylemez
John Meacham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> People tend to concentrate on the lambda which cooresponds to the
> functional aspect of haskell when designing logos. Not nearly enough
> attention is paid to the other striking feature, the laziness. The
> 'bottom' symbol _|_ should feature prominently. The two most defining
> features of haskell are that it is purely functional and _|_ inhabits
> every type. The combination of which is very powerful.

I like the idea, even though personally I don't care that much.

I think the phrase "being lazy with class" could be put into the design
of a mascot.  For Haskell (forgive me for that term) marketing purposes
a mascot would definitely help.

But I think, despite the well-founded denotational semantics of Haskell,
bottom does not play that much of a role.

Greets,
Ertugrul

http://ertes.de/

Re: A Mascot

Hans Aberg-2
On 16 Nov 2011, at 05:18, John Meacham wrote:

> People tend to concentrate on the lambda which cooresponds to the
> functional aspect of haskell when designing logos. Not nearly enough
> attention is paid to the other striking feature, the laziness. The
> 'bottom' symbol _|_ should feature prominently. The two most defining
> features of haskell are that it is purely functional and _|_ inhabits
> every type. The combination of which is very powerful.

The mascot already represents the lambda, so all that is needed is to show off its _|_.

Hans

Re: A Mascot

Andrew Butterfield

On 16 Nov 2011, at 08:46, Ertugrul Soeylemez wrote:

> But I think, despite the well-founded denotational semantics of Haskell,
> bottom does not play that much of a role.

There is one? Where? Last time I looked (a while ago, admittedly)
there was no denotational (or any formal) semantics for Haskell.
 - lots of stuff for fragments of Haskell-like languages or parts of Haskell, but not a
full proper definitive semantics for *Haskell*, as found in the wild...

Looking at
 http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Haskell/Denotational_semantics
the first footnote states
  "In fact, there are no written down and complete denotational semantics of Haskell. This would be a tedious task void of additional insight and we happily embrace the folklore and common sense semantics."

However, if you have a proof-based tool used for reasoning about Haskell programs
in a safety-critical environment, you might just need to do this tedious task,
particularly in order to show your proof rules sound.
 - has anyone in that area done this? is it available ?

Is there a definitive Operational Semantics? Axiomatic?

PS - I love the mascot - thanks Heath !

> Greets,
> Ertugrul
>

> --
> nightmare = unsafePerformIO (getWrongWife >>= sex)
> http://ertes.de/

Andrew Butterfield     Tel: +353-1-896-2517     Fax: +353-1-677-2204
Lero@TCD, Head of Foundations & Methods Research Group
Director of Teaching and Learning - Undergraduate,
School of Computer Science and Statistics,
Room G.39, O'Reilly Institute, Trinity College, University of Dublin
                          http://www.scss.tcd.ie/Andrew.Butterfield/

Re: A Mascot

MigMit
The fact that nobody bothered to write one down doesn't mean there isn't one.

Отправлено с iPhone