A Mascot

Re: A Mascot

heathmatlock
Wasn't planning on it, but I saw some emails on the topic, so I worked on what I presented earlier:

A favicon is attached as well, it probably could use more work.

favicon.ico (1K) Download Attachment

Re: A Mascot

heathmatlock
I goofed on a few images, but I'm a bit tired to correct them at the moment. Also, I'll upload higher res images another time, they don't look terrible up close.

--
Heath Matlock

Re: A Mascot

heathmatlock
For some reason, I can't rest until this is done, so here's the larger images (with corrections):

There's a download button on the top-right of the thumbnail if you want to observe the lamb up close.

Re: A Mascot

Conrad Parker
On 22 November 2011 13:22, Jeremy Shaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sheep are generally thought of as:
>
>  - weak and needing protection
>  - easily lead astray
>  - being lead to the slaughter
>  - dumb and easily lost

Cool, so Haskell is made for people like me!

> I think Haskeller's like Haskell because it is:
>
>  - elegant
>  - sophisticated
>  - reliable
>  - robust

Sounds boring! I like Haskell because it is fun :)

Conrad.

Re: A Mascot

heathmatlock
Here are some examples of how the mascot can be used on the wiki:

http://imgur.com/a/Hu1ve

--
Heath Matlock

Re: A Mascot

Albert Y. C. Lai
On 11-11-22 12:22 AM, Jeremy Shaw wrote:
> A mascot is supposed to represent characteristics, emotions, or
> desires that a particular group of people aspire to have, be like,
> etc. To outsiders, it provides a quick way to see if it might be a
> group they would like to belong to, and for insiders, it helps
> strengthen the bond and group identity by reminding them what they
> stand for.

I don't know why I relate to Canada, with mascots of the maple leaf, the
beaver, and the moose. I don't know why I relate to linux, with a mascot
of the penguin. I don't know why I relate to Kraft peanut butter, with a
mascot of a pair of bears...

> So far, the only justification I have noticed for why a lamb would
> represent Haskell users is that there is a pun about lambda's -- which
> only makes sense if you know English. Sheep are generally thought of
> as:
>
>   - weak and needing protection
>   - easily lead astray
>   - being lead to the slaughter
>   - dumb and easily lost

A lamb-in-arms is the antithesis to all those. It stands up with
determination and might against mainstream oppression and stereotyping.

Re: A Mascot

wren ng thornton
On 11/22/11 8:22 PM, Albert Y. C. Lai wrote:
> On 11-11-22 12:22 AM, Jeremy Shaw wrote:
>> - weak and needing protection
>> - easily lead astray
>> - being lead to the slaughter
>> - dumb and easily lost
>
> A lamb-in-arms is the antithesis to all those. It stands up with
> determination and might against mainstream oppression and stereotyping.

Of all the Da variants, I must say the knight is my favorite.

--
Live well,
~wren

Re: A Mascot

Michael Orlitzky
On 11/22/11 16:52, heathmatlock wrote:
> Wasn't planning on it, but I saw some emails on the topic, so I worked
> on what I presented earlier:

I liked him more back when he was called Curry. That he is a lamb is a
cute play on words. But for me, "The Lamb Da" was facepalm-inducing
because it seems like it's trying too hard to maximize the number of
gimmicks per square centimeter.

Anyway, creative design-by-committee is doomed, so my advice is to
ignore this and all other advice =)

Re: A Mascot

heathmatlock

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Vincent Hanquez <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think cute is good enough, and heathmatlock's lamb da, a good and simple name with a funny pun, definitely made me smile, and hope that's something i see on haskell tshirts soon ;-)

Done.

I was a little click happy at first while my slow computer was rendering some PNGs, so the last few pages of items probably need to be removed. If you like something and would like to see it larger or on some other shirt, let me know, and I'll get on it.

Here are my picks from the lot:

Kid's shirt with astrolamb:

Women's slim shirt with astrolamb:

Men's shirt with astrolamb:
http://open.spreadshirt.com/men-s-american-apparel-haskell-moon-small-top-left-A8545439

Men's green shirt with CS Wizard lamb:

Men's green shirt with lamb and scarf:

Men's long sleeve organic with large knight:

Men's athletic style shirt:

Men's standard with lamb top-left:

Something Simon Peyton Jones would wear:

And there are even a few more, but I don't want to spam the list with too many links (there are over 100 Haskell specific items there now, pillow cases included!).

I'm paid $1 per item sold, some items are costs more than others.

--
Heath Matlock

Re: A Mascot

heathmatlock
On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Michael Orlitzky <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/22/11 16:52, heathmatlock wrote:

I liked him more back when he was called Curry. That he is a lamb is a
cute play on words. But for me, "The Lamb Da" was facepalm-inducing
because it seems like it's trying too hard to maximize the number of
gimmicks per square centimeter.

I wouldn't mind a poll on the mascot and its name.

--
Heath Matlock
+1 256 274 4225

Re: A Mascot

Moritz Fischer
Hi there,

On 11/23/2011 08:30 AM, heathmatlock wrote:

I like it but ...

> I'm paid $1 per item sold, some items are costs more than others.

If you want people to identify even faster with Da, start by uploading
some CC licenced SVGs. One thing that helps a lot imho is to allow other
people to be creative with it, too.

Just my 5 euro cents,

Cheers,

Moritz

Re: A Mascot

John Lato-2
> From: Michael Orlitzky <[hidden email]>
>
> On 11/22/11 16:52, heathmatlock wrote:
>> Wasn't planning on it, but I saw some emails on the topic, so I worked
>> on what I presented earlier:
>
> Anyway, creative design-by-committee is doomed, so my advice is to
> ignore this and all other advice =)

+1

(The knight is my favorite, but Da for Mascot regardless)

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:31 PM, heathmatlock <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:44 AM, Moritz Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you want people to identify even faster with Da, start by uploading some CC licenced SVGs. One thing that helps a lot imho is to allow other people to be creative with it, too.

Done.

As a heads up, you'll need to be familiar with layers if you want to see everything.

--
Heath Matlock

Re: A Mascot

David Barbour
I don't like the lamb at all.

But I like the idea of a language mascot. I really like Adam Chlipala's spidurweb:

Maybe a lambdacat can volunteer. ;-)

Regards,

Dave

Re: A Mascot

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
On 24 November 2011 09:10, David Barbour <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't like the lamb at all.
> But I like the idea of a language mascot. I really like Adam Chlipala's
> spidurweb:

That to me is more of a logo than a mascot.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]

Re: A Mascot

David Barbour

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 24 November 2011 09:10, David Barbour <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't like the lamb at all.
> But I like the idea of a language mascot. I really like Adam Chlipala's
> spidurweb:

That to me is more of a logo than a mascot.

Maybe so, but any mascot needs to make a good logo.

Re: A Mascot

Wolfgang Jeltsch-2
Am Mittwoch, den 16.11.2011, 10:46 +0100 schrieb Bas van Dijk:
> Is ⊥ the right symbol to express the non-strict evaluation of the
> language? Is it true that non-strict evaluation requires that ⊥
> inhabits every type?

In typical strict languages, ⊥ also inhabits every type. The difference
is that the domains of all types except function types are flat. That
is, they don’t contain any partially defined values like ⊥ : ⊥, but
only ⊥ and completely defined values.

Where a Haskell expression would result in a partially defined value,
the same expression in a corresponding strict language would result
in ⊥. So strict languages are “more ⊥” than Haskell. Thus I cannot see
why ⊥ should be used as a symbol for non-strictness at all.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang

Haskell Platform

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Dear Gurus,

A.
Why the Haskell Platform is still based on ghc 7.03?
(At least on WinXP)

B.
Does anybody care about wxHaskell?

Thanks.