A Mascot

Re: Haskell Platform

Pascal Wittmann
On 11/24/2011 04:57 PM, Jerzy Karczmarczuk wrote:
> A.
> Why the Haskell Platform is still based on ghc 7.03?
> (At least on WinXP)

IIRC 7.2 is some kind of "technology preview". So it won't be included
in the haskell platform. The next version that is planed for the haskell
platform is 7.4

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: A Mascot

Richard A. O'Keefe

On 23/11/2011, at 4:40 AM, Karol Samborski wrote:

> And what about a cat? The cat is associated with elegance and a kind of magic.
> Please take a look: http://origami.bieszczady.pl/images/kot.png

I could never in my whole life draw as well as that.
But they are *skittles*, just like Lamb Da.
Cute.  Stiff. Lifeless.  Easy to knock over.
Reminds me of a salt shaker and pepper pot of my mother's.

The collar's good, but
the lambda is just pasted on for no intrinsic reason.

How about a relatively smart animal _in motion_ with the
lambda formed naturally by the positions of its limbs?
Maybe a leaping gelada with its hind legs forming the
\ of the lambda and its tail and back forming the / ?
Smart, social, moving, and of course, furry.

Re: A Mascot

Karol Samborski
2011/11/25 Richard O'Keefe <[hidden email]>:

> I could never in my whole life draw as well as that.
> But they are *skittles*, just like Lamb Da.
> Cute.  Stiff. Lifeless.  Easy to knock over.
> Reminds me of a salt shaker and pepper pot of my mother's.
>
> The collar's good, but
> the lambda is just pasted on for no intrinsic reason.

I agree with you but it was drawn by my sister and she thought that
the lambda and other expressions just must be on the mascot. I think
she didn't have any idea where to draw it :)

> How about a relatively smart animal _in motion_ with the
> lambda formed naturally by the positions of its limbs?
> Maybe a leaping gelada with its hind legs forming the
> \ of the lambda and its tail and back forming the / ?
> Smart, social, moving, and of course, furry.

OK, I will send her your idea.

Best,
Karol Samborski

Re: Haskell Platform

Jeremy O'Donoghue
Hi Jerzy,

On 24 November 2011 15:57, Jerzy Karczmarczuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
B.
Does anybody care about wxHaskell?

Actually there has been quite a bit of work on wxHaskell recently, although most has not made it into the mainline yet. The archives of wxhaskell-users and wxhaskell-devel (both at Sourceforge) contain the details, but a short summary below:

Dave Tapley has done some great work on wxWidgets 2.9 support, getting us into good shape for wxWidgets 3.0, which has a number of API changes over the 2.8 series. This is a much larger undertaking than implied by this short paragraph. Dave has put in some changes to reduce unnecessary rebuilding of the codebase, and has been thinking of merging some work I did in the area earlier this year.

Dave has also added support for the AUI, RichText, PropertyGrid and Ribbon libraries, as well as reinstating STC support.

Maciek Makowski has contributed buildbot support to help us verify changes on all of the supported platforms, and a number of Windows fixes.

Eric Kow has contributed a Haskell replacement for wx-config which works on all platforms. This needs a little more work before it is ready for prime-time, but it will help to make build much more robust. Eric has also contributed a HOWTO for building using the wxPack project, which makes building on Windows *much* easier, and will become the supported approach.

Another Eric contribution is that we have removed the last vestiges of Eiffel from the codebase (wxHaskell originally built on a wxWidgets wrapper for Eiffel - which is long since abandoned).

Eric and Alessandro Vermeulen have been working on support for 64bit OSX images

I am working on reinstating OpenGL support, and will be merging some of the new code back into the mainline which will continue to support wxWidgets 2.8. We want to retain wxWidgets 2.8 support until most of the common Linux distros have moved to 2.9 or 3.0 in their binary repos (building wxWidgets is not a trivial undertaking on any platform!).

In short, while there has not been much headline grabbing activity, we actually have a lot going on, and I hope it will be ready for wider use in the next month or two. This is mostly dependent on me getting my act together as lead maintainer.

Best regards
Jeremy

Re: Haskell Platform

Heinrich Apfelmus
Jeremy O'Donoghue wrote:

> Jerzy Karczmarczuk wrote:
>
>> B.
>> Does anybody care about wxHaskell?
>>

> Actually there has been quite a bit of work on wxHaskell recently, although
> most has not made it into the mainline yet. The archives of wxhaskell-users
> and wxhaskell-devel (both at Sourceforge) contain the details, but a short
> summary below:
>
> [..]
>
> In short, while there has not been much headline grabbing activity, we
> actually have a lot going on, and I hope it will be ready for wider use in
> the next month or two. This is mostly dependent on me getting my act
> together as lead maintainer.

Awesome work!

For those interested in wxHaskell, I would like to mention that it's now
possible to program GUIs in a purely functional style, using functional
reactive programming (FRP). See also

   http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Reactive-banana
   http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Reactive-banana/Examples

Jeremy, I would love to be able to use wxHaskell from ghci on MacOS X;
that would speed up my GUI development cycle considerably.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com

Re: A Mascot

clintm
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Vincent Hanquez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> I think cute is good enough, and heathmatlock's lamb da, a good and simple
>> name with a funny pun, definitely made me smile, and hope that's something i
>> see on haskell tshirts soon ;-)
>
> Done.
>
> http://open.spreadshirt.com

Ok, I've gone from complete indifference in the beginning to a weird
version of shocked adoration for that damned lamb.

Now, suddenly, I'm the owner of a new hoodie with its visage emblazoned on it.

+1 vote for the lamb, (though I have the favicon and images and
forever associate Da with Haskell)