A small milestone

Haskell - Haskell-Cafe mailing list

Cherished friends

Today is my sixtieth birthday.

It is just over forty years since Phil and I called in at Yale on my way to FPCA, and floated the idea of Haskell with Paul Hudak.  (It wasn’t called Haskell then, of course.)   Rather a lot of water has flowed under the bridge since then.  GHC’s bug tracker is up to 14,683 tickets;  I have read every one of them.

But the best thing is Haskell’s rich community of smart, motivated, passionate, and friendly colleagues.  There was a time when I knew every Haskell programmer on the planet, but we are far, far beyond that point.  Now it’s beyond me even to keep up with the huge wave of elegant and creative ideas, tools, libraries, and blog posts that you generate.   (Kudos to Taylor – and doubtless other colleagues -- for the Haskell Weekly News, which I love.)   But despite its size, it’s a community that is still characterised by a love of elegance, and a desire to distil the essence of an idea and encapsulate it in an abstraction, all tempered with respect and tolerance. We don’t always live up to these ideals, but by and large we do.

Thank you all.  Onward and upward!

Simon

PS: as birthday recreation I’m working on https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/QuantifiedContexts

Re: A small milestone

Haskell - Haskell-Cafe mailing list

Hmm.  Maybe 1987 was thirty years ago, not forty.  Clearly old age saps one’s mental arithmetic.  Best to read the paper 😊.

Simon

Re: A small milestone

Henk-Jan van Tuyl

Congratulations and thanks for all the work on the beautiful language I
have been studying and using the last fifteen years.

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

--
Message from Stanford University:

Folding@home

us closer sooner. Watch the video.
http://foldingathome.stanford.edu/

Haskell programming

Re: A small milestone

Neil Mayhew
On 2018-01-18 07:16 PM, Henk-Jan van Tuyl wrote:
Congratulations and thanks for all the work on the beautiful language I have been studying and using the last fifteen years.

I would like to echo that. I would also like to thank you, Simon, for your courteous, positive, humble and cooperative attitude that has set the tone for our whole community.

I had been programming for over thirty years when I discovered Haskell, and through it functional programming, in 2008. It was a complete revelation to me, and I've not looked back. I now don't want to work in any other language if I can possibly help it. I think Haskell hits a sweet spot of expressiveness, safety and performance that is unmatched among mainstream languages. I've experimented with some other functional languages, and I think Haskell stands head and shoulders above them all.

Happy Birthday, Simon :-)

—Neil

Re: A small milestone

Gregory Popovitch
Amen to that! Discovering Haskell was a revelation for me as well. I couldn't believe the beauty of it. Despite reading a lot about Haskell, and watching some very entertaining videos featuring SPJ among others, I never got comfortable at it (using C++ in my day job). Still, it is a great inspiration for me. I am delighted that this beautiful language exists, and I do hope that one day I'll be decent at it, but even if I don't I am richer for it.

Happy birthday Simon, and many thanks!

-greg

Re: A small milestone

Bardur Arantsson-2
On 2018-01-19 22:14, Neil Mayhew wrote:
> On 2018-01-18 07:16 PM, Henk-Jan van Tuyl wrote:
>> Congratulations and thanks for all the work on the beautiful language
>> I have been studying and using the last fifteen years.
>
> I would like to echo that. I would also like to thank you, Simon, for
> your courteous, positive, humble and cooperative attitude that has set
> the tone for our whole community.

+1

Re: A small milestone

Jefferson Carpenter