A small question

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A small question

Andrew Coppin
I notice that in GHC 6.8.1, if I compile a runnably program, as well as
generating foo.exe, GHC now also generates a file foo.exe.manifest,
which appears to contain some kind of XML data. Anybody know anything
about this mysterious file?

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A small question

J. Garrett Morris
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1w45z383(vs.71).aspx

I believe.

 /g

On Nov 15, 2007 12:56 PM, Andrew Coppin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I notice that in GHC 6.8.1, if I compile a runnably program, as well as
> generating foo.exe, GHC now also generates a file foo.exe.manifest,
> which appears to contain some kind of XML data. Anybody know anything
> about this mysterious file?
>
> _______________________________________________
> Haskell-Cafe mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
>



--
The man who'd introduced them didn't much like either of them, though
he acted as if he did, anxious as he was to preserve good relations at
all times. One never knew, after all, now did one now did one now did
one.
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A small question

Andrew Coppin
J. Garrett Morris wrote:
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1w45z383(vs.71).aspx
>
> I believe.
>  

Interesting. Not sure what the connection between Haskell and .NET is...
(But then, despite a lot of research, I don't know what .NET is.)

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A small question

Sebastian Sylvan
In reply to this post by Andrew Coppin
On Nov 15, 2007 6:56 PM, Andrew Coppin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I notice that in GHC 6.8.1, if I compile a runnably program, as well as
> generating foo.exe, GHC now also generates a file foo.exe.manifest,
> which appears to contain some kind of XML data. Anybody know anything
> about this mysterious file?

I think it's a Windows Vista Manifest (used to let the OS know what
user privileges are required to run the application).

--
Sebastian Sylvan
+44(0)7857-300802
UIN: 44640862
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A small question

Andrew Coppin
Sebastian Sylvan wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2007 6:56 PM, Andrew Coppin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>> I notice that in GHC 6.8.1, if I compile a runnably program, as well as
>> generating foo.exe, GHC now also generates a file foo.exe.manifest,
>> which appears to contain some kind of XML data. Anybody know anything
>> about this mysterious file?
>>    
>
> I think it's a Windows Vista Manifest (used to let the OS know what
> user privileges are required to run the application).
>  

Ah, right. That makes sense...

_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A small question

Jeremy O'Donoghue
On 16/11/2007, Andrew Coppin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sebastian Sylvan wrote:
> > On Nov 15, 2007 6:56 PM, Andrew Coppin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I notice that in GHC 6.8.1, if I compile a runnably program, as well as
> >> generating foo.exe, GHC now also generates a file foo.exe.manifest,
> >> which appears to contain some kind of XML data. Anybody know anything
> >> about this mysterious file?
> >>
> >
> > I think it's a Windows Vista Manifest (used to let the OS know what
> > user privileges are required to run the application).
> >
>
> Ah, right. That makes sense...
>

Not just Windows Vista. Applications and DLLs compiled with Visual
Studio 2005 (Express or full version) seem to need it to run on XP as
well.

Basically it contains a list of *exactly* which libraries were used to
link the application, as well as permissions. It's alleged to
eliminate DLL hell (which it does by replacing it with Manifest hell).
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A small question

J. Garrett Morris
On Nov 21, 2007 5:16 AM, Jeremy O'Donoghue <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not just Windows Vista. Applications and DLLs compiled with Visual
> Studio 2005 (Express or full version) seem to need it to run on XP as
> well.

I believe the dependency here is version 8 of the Visual C RTL.
Applications that don't touch the RTL don't need to worry about it.

> Basically it contains a list of *exactly* which libraries were used to
> link the application, as well as permissions. It's alleged to
> eliminate DLL hell (which it does by replacing it with Manifest hell).

Since, at least with Microsoft's tools, the manifest is normally
included in the executable image instead of being a separate file, I'm
not sure how they could become confused and/or out of sync, as DLLs
could become.

 /g

--
The man who'd introduced them didn't much like either of them, though
he acted as if he did, anxious as he was to preserve good relations at
all times. One never knew, after all, now did one now did one now did
one.
_______________________________________________
Haskell-Cafe mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/haskell-cafe