ANN: RandomDotOrg-0.1

Austin Seipp
Hi,

I've just uploaded a package to hackage which is an interface to the
random.org random number generator.

For those who don't know, random.org provides random data through the
use of atmospheric noise rather than a PRNG that would typically be
invoked if you were to use the System.Random module or somesuch.

As of current, it can only generate a list of random numbers. However,
random.org also provides an interface to generate random strings,
randomize an input list and a random sequence generator (the
difference being that the sequence generator will not repeat itself,
while the integer one may.)

Would anybody find these interfaces useful? I think the random number
generator alone is pretty nice, but I'm thinking of expanding it in
the future with these other things since they're nice to have if you
want randomness anyway.

You can get it from [1] or just:

 $ cabal install RandomDotOrg

The development repository is tracked using git; you can get yourself
a clone by doing

 $ git clone git://github.com/thoughtpolice/randomdotorg.git

Austin

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/RandomDotOrg-0.1

Re: ANN: RandomDotOrg-0.1

Don Stewart-2
mad.one:

> Hi,
>
> I've just uploaded a package to hackage which is an interface to the
> random.org random number generator.
>
> For those who don't know, random.org provides random data through the
> use of atmospheric noise rather than a PRNG that would typically be
> invoked if you were to use the System.Random module or somesuch.
>
> As of current, it can only generate a list of random numbers. However,
> random.org also provides an interface to generate random strings,
> randomize an input list and a random sequence generator (the
> difference being that the sequence generator will not repeat itself,
> while the integer one may.)
>
> Would anybody find these interfaces useful? I think the random number
> generator alone is pretty nice, but I'm thinking of expanding it in
> the future with these other things since they're nice to have if you
> want randomness anyway.
>
> You can get it from [1] or just:
>
>  $ cabal install RandomDotOrg
>
> The development repository is tracked using git; you can get yourself
> a clone by doing
>
>  $ git clone git://github.com/thoughtpolice/randomdotorg.git

Can we expose it as a library, perhaps as a PRNG for System.Random?
Also, can I get the noise directly off the network as a bytestring
(maybe via download-curl ?)

-- Don