[ANN] bytestring-0.11.0.0-rc1

Andrew Lelechenko
On behalf of the maintainers team I'm happy to announce bytestring-0.11.0.0-rc1: https://github.com/haskell/bytestring/tree/0.11.0.0-rc1
This is a first major release since 2012, so I would like to encourage everyone to give it a try before it is shipped with GHC 9.0.
The update focuses on performance improvements and removes several deprecated functions and modules.

Changelog: https://github.com/haskell/bytestring/blob/0.11.0.0-rc1/Changelog.md
Diff: https://github.com/haskell/bytestring/compare/0.10.12.0...0.11.0.0-rc1

Here is an example of cabal.project:

packages: .

source-repository-package
  type: git
  location: https://github.com/haskell/bytestring
  tag: 0.11.0.0-rc1

allow-newer:
  *:bytestring

And an example of stack.yaml:

resolver: nightly-2020-09-16
packages:
- .
extra-deps:
- github: haskell/bytestring
  commit: 96c95391025c1ce2240f6dc7bcad06d4191e7793
- github: haskell/cabal
  commit: 5139d6e72d391bffa3cf06f08884277799eb0b45
  subdirs:
    - Cabal
- binary-0.8.8.0
- directory-1.3.6.0
- text-1.2.3.2
- unix-2.7.2.2
- parsec-3.1.14.0
- process-1.6.9.0
allow-newer: true

Best regards,
Andrew

Re: [ANN] bytestring-0.11.0.0-rc1

Ben Franksen
Am 18.09.20 um 19:41 schrieb Andrew Lelechenko:
> On behalf of the maintainers team I'm happy to announce
> bytestring-0.11.0.0-rc1:
> https://github.com/haskell/bytestring/tree/0.11.0.0-rc1 This is a
> first major release since 2012, so I would like to encourage everyone
> to give it a try before it is shipped with GHC 9.0. The update
> focuses on performance improvements and removes several deprecated
> functions and modules.

I can report that darcs (which makes heavy use of bytestring and even
includes a few optimizations based on an Internal module) works fine
with this version (test suite passes).

Your build recipe

> Here is an example of cabal.project:
>
> packages: .
>
> source-repository-package
>   type: git
>   location: https://github.com/haskell/bytestring
>   tag: 0.11.0.0-rc1
>
> allow-newer:
>   *:bytestring

is quite amazing. I knew of allow-newer, but what is this "*:bytestring"
notation? Is that connected to the fact that cabal now unpacks
everything that depends on bytestring inside dist-newstyle/src? It
doesn't normally do that. That was quite helpful because it meant I
could easily fix the (only) error by locally by changing the import of
ByteString.Builder in
dist-newstyle/src/Cabal-3.2.0.0/Distribution/Utils/Structured.hs and
then running cabal build again.

Cheers
Ben