ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

Johan Tibell-2
On the behalf of the many contributors to cabal, I'm proud to present
cabal-install-1.16.0. This release contains almost a year worth of
patches. Highlights include:

 * Parallel installs (cabal install -j)
 * Several improvements to the dependency solver.
 * Lots of bugfixes

We're also simultaneously releasing Cabal-1.16.0.1, which address a few bugs.

To install:

    cabal update
    cabal install cabal-install-1.16.0 Cabal-1.16.0.1

Complete list of changes in cabal-install-1.16.0:

* Bump cabal-install version number to 1.16.0
* Extend the unpack command for the .cabal file updating
* On install, update the .cabal file with the one from the index
* Make compatible with `network-2.4` API
* Update ZLIB_VER in bootstrap.sh for ghc-7.6 compatibility
* cabal-install.cabal: add Distribution.Client.JobControl and
Distribution.Compat.Time
* Adapt bootstrap.sh to ghc-7.6 changes
* Move comment that was missed in a refactoring
* cabal-install: Adapt for GHC 7.6
* Ensure that the cabal-install logfile gets closed
* Make cabal-install build with Cabal-1.16.
* Initialise the 'jobs' config file setting with the current number of
CPU cores.
* Update version bounds for directory.
* Update bootstrap.sh to match platform 2012.2.0.0
* Relax dependency on containers.
* Bump versions.
* Better output for parallel install.
* Fix warnings.
* Remove 'tryCachedSetupExecutable'.
* Redundant import.
* Use a lock instead of 'JobControl 1'.
* Comments, cosmetic changes.
* Implement the setup executable cache.
* Add the missing JobControl module
* Fix missing import after merge of par build patches
* Fix impl of PackageIndex.allPackagesByName
* Drop the "ghc-options: -rtsopts" on cabal-install. We do not need it.
* Parallelise the install command This is based on Mikhail Glushenkov's patches.
* InstallPlan: Add a Processing package state.
* Add a '-j' flag for the 'install' command.
* Add -threaded and -rtsopts to cabal-install's ghc-options.
* Fix typos.
* Fix warnings.
* 80-col violation.
* Spelling.
* Fix warnings.
* Extended a comment.
* Force the log for the error to be printed in parallel with the complete trace.
* Remove goal choice nodes after reordering is completed.
* Make modular solver handle manual flags properly.
* Store manual flag info in search tree.
* Maintain info about manual flags in modular solver.
* Fix cabal-install build.
* Merge pull request #6 from pcapriotti/master
* Adapt to change in GHC package db flags.
* Merge pull request #1 from iustin/master
* Add support for Apache 2.0 license to cabal-install
* Handle test and bench stanzas without dependencies properly in modular solver.
* Updated repo location in cabal files.
* last-minute README changes
* updated copyright year for Duncan
* updated changelog
* added deepseq to bootstrap.sh
* handling the solver options properly in config file
* handling the "optimization" option properly in config file
* Update cabal-install bootstrap.sh
* treat packages that are unknown no longer as an "internal error" in
modular solver
* minor wording change when printing install plans
* no longer pre-filter broken packages for modular solver
* for empty install plans, print the packages that are installed
* make the reinstall check less noisy
* disable line-wrapping for solver debug output
* adding a solver flag for shadowing of installed packages
* adding the possibility for index-disabled packages
* choose default solver based on compiler version
* Added a comment
* Use the new --package-db flag stuff in cabal-install
* head cabal-install requires head Cabal
* Fix ticket #731
* Add brief description of PVP to cabal init generated .cabal files
* Bump versions to 1.15 and 0.15 This is the head branch, the 1.14.x
and 0.14.x are in the 1.14 branch.
* init: guess at filling in deps in the build-depends: field
* init: see whether source directory 'src' exists.
* init: improve prompt: enclose y/n in parens
* init: improve prompt: 'homepage' field is not for repos.
* bootstrap with --global should still respect $PREFIX
* Update cabal-install boostrap.sh package versions
* Fix 'cabal configure --enable-{tests,benchmarks}'. 'cabal configure'
was not adding optional stanza constraints when checking dependencies,
causing '--enable-{tests,benchmarks}' to be silently ignored.
* added missing error message
* Don't try to run test suites where none exist.
* Fixed non-exhaustive pattern matches with new InstallOutcome.
* Automatically run test suites when invoked with 'cabal install
--enable-tests'. Do not install if tests fail.
* make test and bench available as user constraints
* let --reinstall imply --force-reinstalls for targets
* stanza support in modular solver
* show optional stanzas when printing install plans
* Added a missing case.
* Enable tests and benchmarks in cabal-install without modifications
to the Cabal library.
* Don't build benchmarks, even if installing benchmark dependencies.
* Update types in modular dependency solver to compile with new
test/benchmark dependency constraints.
* Handle test and benchmark dependencies through the resolver properly.
* updating dependencies in bootstrap.sh
* fix compilation with ghc-7.4
* Added a comment.
* removing trailing whitespace
* removing datatype contexts
* Now require mtl-2

Complete list of changes in Cabal-1.16.0.1:

* Bump Cabal version number to 1.16.0.1
* Fix failing test
* Do not pass -XHaskell98 to older compilers (fixes #1016)
* don't test --disable-library-vanilla for now
* Fix logic for building dynamic executables with TemplateHaskell
* Fix the logic for building profiled executables with TemplateHaskell.
* add test for non-vanilla profiling and dynamic builds with Template Haskell
* Build Setup executables without HPC. Fixes #1012.
* Make 'viewAsFieldDescr' a total function.

Cheers,
  Johan & Bryan

Re: ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

José Lopes
Hello,

I just tried to upgrade cabal-install using an older version and it yields the following error:
Distribution/Client/JobControl.hs:63:6: Not in scope: `mask'

If you need any machine/software specs let me know.

Best regards,
José

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 6:21 PM, José Lopes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just tried to upgrade cabal-install using an older version and it yields
> the following error:
> Distribution/Client/JobControl.hs:63:6: Not in scope: `mask'

We tested on GHC 7.0.4, 7.4.1, and 7.6.1.

> If you need any machine/software specs let me know.

That would be great. Which version of GHC/base do you have?

P.S. I'm not sure if we really want to support more than the 3 last
GHC releases. People on really old GHCs can always use a older
cabal-install.

-- Johan

Re: ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

José Lopes
Hey,

I have debian 6.0.5 with GHC version 6.12.1 and base version
4.2.0.0 (although base 3.0.3.2 is also installed).

Hope that helps!

José

On 10/03/2012 07:15 PM, Johan Tibell wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 6:21 PM, José Lopes<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just tried to upgrade cabal-install using an older version and it yields
>> the following error:
>> Distribution/Client/JobControl.hs:63:6: Not in scope: `mask'
> We tested on GHC 7.0.4, 7.4.1, and 7.6.1.
>
>> If you need any machine/software specs let me know.
> That would be great. Which version of GHC/base do you have?
>
> P.S. I'm not sure if we really want to support more than the 3 last
> GHC releases. People on really old GHCs can always use a older
> cabal-install.
>
> -- Johan

Re: ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

Duncan Coutts-4
On 3 October 2012 18:22, José Lopes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have debian 6.0.5 with GHC version 6.12.1 and base version
> 4.2.0.0 (although base 3.0.3.2 is also installed).

I've pushed a fix for this. We'll wait a couple days to give a chance
for other issues to be discovered, and then Johan will make a bug-fix
release.

Duncan

Re: ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

Erik Hesselink
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Johan Tibell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On the behalf of the many contributors to cabal, I'm proud to present
> cabal-install-1.16.0.

Congratulations and thanks to all those involved!

> To install:
>
>     cabal update
>     cabal install cabal-install-1.16.0 Cabal-1.16.0.1

It seems that hackage no longer has a preferred-version for cabal, so
that a simple 'cabal update && cabal install cabal-install' will do
the trick. Was this intentional? With 0.14, it took quite a while for
it to become the preferred version.

Erik

Re: ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

Austin Seipp

Just a heads up: on Ubuntu 12.04 with GHC 7.4.1 out of apt (no
haskell-platform,) using the bootstrap.sh script fails, because the
constraints for CABAL_VER_REGEXP are too lax:

$ sh ./bootstrap.sh
Checking installed packages for ghc-7.4.1...
Cabal is already installed and the version is ok.
transformers is already installed and the version is ok.
mtl is already installed and the version is ok.
deepseq is already installed and the version is ok.
text is already installed and the version is ok.
parsec is already installed and the version is ok.
network is already installed and the version is ok.
time is already installed and the version is ok.
HTTP is already installed and the version is ok.
zlib is already installed and the version is ok.
random is already installed and the version is ok.
cleaning...
Linking Setup ...
Configuring cabal-install-1.16.0...
Setup: At least the following dependencies are missing:
Cabal >=1.16.0 && <1.18

Error during cabal-install bootstrap:
Configuring the cabal-install package failed
$ ghc-pkg list Cabal
/var/lib/ghc/package.conf.d
   Cabal-1.14.0
/home/a/.ghc/x86_64-linux-7.4.1/package.conf.d
$

In bootstrap.sh, we see:

CABAL_VER="1.16.0";    CABAL_VER_REGEXP="1\.(13\.3|1[4-7]\.)"  # >=
1.13.3 && < 1.18

The constraint should be updated so that it requires 1.16. It can be
fixed by saying:

CABAL_VER="1.16.0";    CABAL_VER_REGEXP="1\.(1[6-7]\.)"  # >= 1.16 && < 1.18

Otherwise, you can't get any new cabal install without the platform.
Or you have to get 1.14, then install 1.16 via 'cabal install'.

I'll file a bug later today.

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Johan Tibell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> test/benchmark dependency constraints.
> * Handle test and benchmark dependencies through the resolver properly.
> * updating dependencies in bootstrap.sh
> * fix compilation with ghc-7.4
> * Added a comment.
> * removing trailing whitespace
> * removing datatype contexts
> * Now require mtl-2
>
> Complete list of changes in Cabal-1.16.0.1:
>
> * Bump Cabal version number to 1.16.0.1
> * Fix failing test
> * Do not pass -XHaskell98 to older compilers (fixes #1016)
> * don't test --disable-library-vanilla for now
> * Fix logic for building dynamic executables with TemplateHaskell
> * Fix the logic for building profiled executables with TemplateHaskell.
> * add test for non-vanilla profiling and dynamic builds with Template Haskell
> * Build Setup executables without HPC. Fixes #1012.
> * Make 'viewAsFieldDescr' a total function.

Austin

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:15 PM, Austin Seipp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a heads up: on Ubuntu 12.04 with GHC 7.4.1 out of apt (no
> haskell-platform,) using the bootstrap.sh script fails, because the
> constraints for CABAL_VER_REGEXP are too lax:
>
> $ sh ./bootstrap.sh
> Checking installed packages for ghc-7.4.1...
> Cabal is already installed and the version is ok.
> transformers is already installed and the version is ok.
> mtl is already installed and the version is ok.
> deepseq is already installed and the version is ok.
> text is already installed and the version is ok.
> parsec is already installed and the version is ok.
> network is already installed and the version is ok.
> time is already installed and the version is ok.
> HTTP is already installed and the version is ok.
> zlib is already installed and the version is ok.
> random is already installed and the version is ok.
> cleaning...
> Linking Setup ...
> Configuring cabal-install-1.16.0...
> Setup: At least the following dependencies are missing:
> Cabal >=1.16.0 && <1.18
>
> Error during cabal-install bootstrap:
> Configuring the cabal-install package failed
> $ ghc-pkg list Cabal
> /var/lib/ghc/package.conf.d
>    Cabal-1.14.0
> /home/a/.ghc/x86_64-linux-7.4.1/package.conf.d
> $
>
> In bootstrap.sh, we see:
>
> CABAL_VER="1.16.0";    CABAL_VER_REGEXP="1\.(13\.3|1[4-7]\.)"  # >=
> 1.13.3 && < 1.18
>
> The constraint should be updated so that it requires 1.16. It can be
> fixed by saying:
>
> CABAL_VER="1.16.0";    CABAL_VER_REGEXP="1\.(1[6-7]\.)"  # >= 1.16 && < 1.18
>
> Otherwise, you can't get any new cabal install without the platform.
> Or you have to get 1.14, then install 1.16 via 'cabal install'.
>
> I'll file a bug later today.

Thanks. Please make the fix against the cabal-1.16 branch on GitHub
and send me a pull request.

-- Johan

Re: ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic

On Oct 4, 2012 2:08 AM, "Johan Tibell" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On the behalf of the many contributors to cabal, I'm proud to present
> cabal-install-1.16.0.

Why the sudden change in versioning scheme (from 0.x to 1.x)?

Re: ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

Johan Tibell-2
On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2012 2:08 AM, "Johan Tibell" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On the behalf of the many contributors to cabal, I'm proud to present
>> cabal-install-1.16.0.
>
> Why the sudden change in versioning scheme (from 0.x to 1.x)?

To remove the confusion where in the cabal-install executable and its
corresponding Cabal library had different versioning schemes.

Re: ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

Tim Docker-4

Does this new release included the sandbox functions discussed in this
blog post:

http://blog.johantibell.com/2012/08/you-can-soon-play-in-cabal-sandbox.html
?

Tim

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Tim Docker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does this new release included the sandbox functions discussed in this blog
> post:
>
> http://blog.johantibell.com/2012/08/you-can-soon-play-in-cabal-sandbox.html
> ?

It doesn't. The sandbox feature requires a little UI work still. I
expect to have it out by the end of the year.

Re: ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

Patrick Hurst-2
Speaking of which, I haven't been tracking this lately. Does it support having multiple environments using a shared sandbox? For example, if I'm writing multiple parser-based things, can I have a 'parsec' sandbox that lives in someplace like ~/.cabalenv/parsec and have both project1 and project2 use it?

On Thursday, October 4, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Johan Tibell wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Tim Docker <[hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email])> wrote:
> >
> > Does this new release included the sandbox functions discussed in this blog
> > post:
> >
> > http://blog.johantibell.com/2012/08/you-can-soon-play-in-cabal-sandbox.html
> > ?
>

> It doesn't. The sandbox feature requires a little UI work still. I
> expect to have it out by the end of the year.

Re: ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

JP Moresmau
The very day before this announcement, I was porting my buildwrapper
library to GHC 7.6.1, and then noticed that I couldn't get a version
of cabal-install built with the Cabal library shipped with GHC. I
thought "I'm not going to bother anybody, I'll just wait", and the
next day, hop, there it is! Thanks guys, much appreciated!
Installed on a Windows XP with GHC 7.6.1 with no issue. Even network
installed first time with a properly configured MSYS shell.
After porting buildwrapper, 100% of the test cases pass, I'm happy.

Thanks to all for this release!

JP

> [...]

> test/benchmark dependency constraints.
> * Handle test and benchmark dependencies through the resolver properly.
> * updating dependencies in bootstrap.sh
> * fix compilation with ghc-7.4
> * Added a comment.
> * removing trailing whitespace
> * removing datatype contexts
> * Now require mtl-2
>
> Complete list of changes in Cabal-1.16.0.1:
>
> * Bump Cabal version number to 1.16.0.1
> * Fix failing test
> * Do not pass -XHaskell98 to older compilers (fixes #1016)
> * don't test --disable-library-vanilla for now
> * Fix logic for building dynamic executables with TemplateHaskell
> * Fix the logic for building profiled executables with TemplateHaskell.
> * add test for non-vanilla profiling and dynamic builds with Template Haskell
> * Build Setup executables without HPC. Fixes #1012.
> * Make 'viewAsFieldDescr' a total function.

JP Moresmau
http://jpmoresmau.blogspot.com/

Re: ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

Johan Tibell-2
Hi,

I'll make a bugfix release for cabal-install and Cabal in a few days
to include fixes to issues people found so far. If everyone who had
some problem related to the latest release could please post it here
so I can make sure that we include a fix for them. If you've already
reported it elsewhere, please bring it up here anyway to make sure I
don't miss it.

-- Johan

Re: ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

Michael Snoyman
Hi Johan,

I reported issue 1058 on Github:

Installing from separate folder with Custom build type fails

Thanks,
Michael

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Johan Tibell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'll make a bugfix release for cabal-install and Cabal in a few days
to include fixes to issues people found so far. If everyone who had
some problem related to the latest release could please post it here
so I can make sure that we include a fix for them. If you've already
reported it elsewhere, please bring it up here anyway to make sure I
don't miss it.

-- Johan

Re: ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

Andrés Sicard-Ramírez
Hi Johan,

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Johan Tibell <[hidden email]> wrote:

>If you've already
> reported it elsewhere, please bring it up here anyway to make sure I
> don't miss it.

Following your request, I wrote the pull request "Fixed warnings on
the generated Paths module" against the cabal-1.16 branch:

https://github.com/haskell/cabal/pull/1059

Andrés

Re: ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

Herbert Valerio Riedel
Johan Tibell <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'll make a bugfix release for cabal-install and Cabal in a few days
> to include fixes to issues people found so far. If everyone who had
> some problem related to the latest release could please post it here
> so I can make sure that we include a fix for them. If you've already
> reported it elsewhere, please bring it up here anyway to make sure I
> don't miss it.

btw, what about Cabal being agnostic to some recent GHC language
extensions, i.e.:

 https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/1050

is that one eligible for a point release?