[ANN] karya, music editor

Evan Laforge
This is an announcement for Karya, which is a music editor written in Haskell.

There are more details at:
http://ofb.net/~elaforge/karya/doc/overview.md.html

or if you just want to listen to music:
http://ofb.net/~elaforge/karya/doc/examples.md.html

Source is at: https://github.com/elaforge/karya

Even if you're not interested in the music part, it's an example of a
haskell program with a GUI, REPL based interface, tests, profiling,
and a shake-based build system, although probably idiosyncratic
implementations of all of the above.  It should run on OS X (well
tested) and X11 (poorly tested).

If you are interested in the music part, this is basically in the
"score writing" genre of software, in that it's suitable for writing a
score in a textual non-realtime way.  But though non-realtime, it's
still interactive, so you can hear what you just wrote.  And though
textual and language-oriented, it's also semi-graphical, so it's
closer to the sequencer / music editor type application than a
music-oriented DSL like Haskore.  It's hard to describe because as far
as I know there's nothing else similar.  If you have used a DAW but
wanted to define higher level abstractions, or if you used Haskore (or
similar) but found it difficult to write music purely textually, you
might be interested in this.  Or if you want to use your own tunings
or scales, or do expressive control of pitch and dynamics.  You'll
need an external MIDI synthesizer though.  There is a direct synthesis
backend, but it's not practically usable yet.

It's somewhat mature, in that I've been using for all my own music for
the last 5 years or so, but of course also has many areas of active
development, from graphics, to language design and interpretation, to
music notation design, to audio synthesis and numerics.

There is some documentation, but it's undoubtedly sparse since I'm the
only user.  Ask if you have questions!  Details will be materialized
on demand.

Some things not mentioned on the "official" page since they're in progress:

- A DSL to notate solkattu, which is Carnatic percussion syllables,
and is a sort of instrument-independent notation for rhythmic
structures, along with rules for realizing on various instruments.
This is closer to a traditional music DSL like Haskore, but winds up
different since it's rhythmically oriented.  There's a small library
of compositions.

- An offline synthesis framework, including a sampler and FAUST-based
synthesizer, built on a streaming audio library.  I'm currently
working on implementing off-line incremental audio rendering, which as
far as I know is unique.

Re: [ANN] karya, music editor

Francesco Ariis
Hello Evan, congrats on the release!

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 08:22:09PM -0700, Evan Laforge wrote:
> Some things not mentioned on the "official" page since they're in progress:
>
> - A DSL to notate solkattu, which is Carnatic percussion syllables,
> and is a sort of instrument-independent notation for rhythmic
> structures, along with rules for realizing on various instruments.
> This is closer to a traditional music DSL like Haskore, but winds up
> different since it's rhythmically oriented.  There's a small library
> of compositions.

Very very interested in this!

Re: [ANN] karya, music editor

Evan Laforge
On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 1:46 PM, Francesco Ariis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Very very interested in this!

It's all under the Solkattu/* directory.  There are a lot of problems
in there which are unsolved or  solved in an unsatisfactory way, so
input is definitely appreciated.

There's the beginnings of a cross-referenced konnakol db at
http://ofb.net/~elaforge/solkattu/

E.g. here's the basic "end of thani" mohra, in the kizhkalam/melkalam
style: http://ofb.net/~elaforge/solkattu/Solkattu.Score.SolkattuMohra.c_mohra.html

Since it's parameterized, I can plug in any patterns with the right
duration and it comes out in the right structure.

Re: [ANN] karya, music editor

Evan Laforge
As an aside, what happened to haskell-art?  It seems to have been
suddenly deactivated.

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 11:15 PM, Evan Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 1:46 PM, Francesco Ariis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Very very interested in this!
>
> It's all under the Solkattu/* directory.  There are a lot of problems
> in there which are unsolved or  solved in an unsatisfactory way, so
> input is definitely appreciated.
>
> There's the beginnings of a cross-referenced konnakol db at
> http://ofb.net/~elaforge/solkattu/
>
> E.g. here's the basic "end of thani" mohra, in the kizhkalam/melkalam
> style: http://ofb.net/~elaforge/solkattu/Solkattu.Score.SolkattuMohra.c_mohra.html
>
> Since it's parameterized, I can plug in any patterns with the right
> duration and it comes out in the right structure.

Re: [ANN] karya, music editor

Stephen Tetley-2
Hi Evan

Congratulations the release,I know from the haskell-art list you've
been working on this for a good while.

Best wishes

Stephen