[ANNOUNCE] Formation of the initial GHC Steering Committee

[ANNOUNCE] Formation of the initial GHC Steering Committee

Ben Gamari-3

Dear Haskell community,

Over the past months we have discussed changes to GHC's process for
collecting, discussing, and considering new language extensions,
compiler features, and the like. Happily, we are now ready to move
forward with our new proposal process.

Towards this end, we have formed the GHC Steering Committee which will
be responsible for evaluating the proposals that run through the
process. The committee consists of the following members (with GitHub
user names given parenthetically),

 * Chris Allen (@bitemyapp)
 * Joachim Breitner (@nomeata)
 * Manuel M T Chakravarty (@mchakravarty)
 * Iavor Diatchki (@yav)
 * Atze Dijkstra (@atzedijkstra)
 * Richard Eisenberg (@goldfirere)
 * Ben Gamari (@bgamari)
 * Simon Marlow (@simonmar)
 * Ryan Newton (@rrnewton)
 * Simon Peyton-Jones (@simonpj)

The body will be chaired jointly by Simon Marlow and Simon Peyton-Jones.

Since the ghc-proposals repository was created, it has accumulated
nearly thirty pull requests describing a variety of compelling changes.
We will consider these proposals to be at the beginning of their
four-week discussion period. The goal of this discussion is to find and
eliminate weaknesses of the proposal. The final proposal should
address all valid points raised in the discussion. When you believe the
proposal has converged, bring it to the steering committee and summarize
the discussion in a pull request comment.

If you would like to contribute a new proposal, please refer to the
directions given in the ghc-proposals' repository README [1] and
proposal submission guidelines [2].

Cheers,

- Ben, on behalf of the GHC Steering Committee

[1] https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals
[2] https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/blob/master/proposal-submission.rst