ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.10.1 Release Candidate 1

ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.10.1 Release Candidate 1

Austin Seipp-5
We are pleased to announce the first release candidate for GHC 7.10.1:

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.1-rc1/

This includes the source tarball and bindists for 64bit/32bit Linux
and Windows. Binary builds for other platforms will be available
shortly. (CentOS 6.5 binaries are not available at this time like they
were for 7.8.x). These binaries and tarballs have an accompanying
SHA256SUMS file signed by my GPG key id (0x3B58D86F).

We plan to make the 7.10.1 release sometime in February of 2015. We
expect another RC to occur during January of 2015.

Please test as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper if we find them
before the release!

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.10.1 Release Candidate 1

Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦)
Hi,

If I understand correctly, OverloadedRecordFields has not been merged
yet. Are there any chances to merge it into GHC 7.10.1?

--Kazu

> We are pleased to announce the first release candidate for GHC 7.10.1:
>
>     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.1-rc1/
>
> This includes the source tarball and bindists for 64bit/32bit Linux
> and Windows. Binary builds for other platforms will be available
> shortly. (CentOS 6.5 binaries are not available at this time like they
> were for 7.8.x). These binaries and tarballs have an accompanying
> SHA256SUMS file signed by my GPG key id (0x3B58D86F).
>
> We plan to make the 7.10.1 release sometime in February of 2015. We
> expect another RC to occur during January of 2015.
>
> Please test as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper if we find them
> before the release!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant
> Well-Typed LLP, http://www.well-typed.com/

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.10.1 Release Candidate 1

Greg Weber
No, it is a big change and the merge window is closed now. This question was just asked on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/2pnjdk/is_overloadedrecordfields_getting_it_into_7101/

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Kazu Yamamoto <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

If I understand correctly, OverloadedRecordFields has not been merged
yet. Are there any chances to merge it into GHC 7.10.1?

--Kazu

> We are pleased to announce the first release candidate for GHC 7.10.1:
>
>     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.1-rc1/
>
> This includes the source tarball and bindists for 64bit/32bit Linux
> and Windows. Binary builds for other platforms will be available
> shortly. (CentOS 6.5 binaries are not available at this time like they
> were for 7.8.x). These binaries and tarballs have an accompanying
> SHA256SUMS file signed by my GPG key id (0x3B58D86F).
>
> We plan to make the 7.10.1 release sometime in February of 2015. We
> expect another RC to occur during January of 2015.
>
> Please test as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper if we find them
> before the release!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant
> Well-Typed LLP, http://www.well-typed.com/

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.10.1 Release Candidate 1

Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦)
> No, it is a big change and the merge window is closed now. This question
> was just asked on reddit:
> http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/2pnjdk/is_overloadedrecordfields_getting_it_into_7101/

Greg, thank you for this info. But it is really disappointing.

I was silent about this because it is promised that ORF is included in
GHC 7.10. If I knew that active feedback was necessary, I could be
vocal.

--Kazu

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.10.1 Release Candidate 1

Edward Z. Yang
Hello lonetiger,

I don't think any relevant logic changed in 7.10; however, this
commit may be relevant:

    commit 8fb03bfd768ea0d5c666bbe07a50cb05214bbe92
    Author: Ian Lynagh <[hidden email]>  Sun Mar 18 11:42:31 2012
    Committer: Ian Lynagh <[hidden email]>  Sun Mar 18 11:42:31 2012
    Original File: compiler/typecheck/TcForeign.lhs

    If we say we're treating StdCall as CCall, then actually do so

But this warning should have applied even on older versions of GHC.

Are you running x86_64 Windows?  stdcall is specific to x86_32.

Edward

Excerpts from lonetiger's message of 2014-12-24 08:24:52 -0500:

cg

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.10.1 Release Candidate 1

cg

Besides downloading a tarball, can I checkout it using git?

I tried using sync-all as described on wiki [1] to checkout it:

./sync-all checkout ghc-7.10

but it seems it doesn't work, there are error message like:
error: pathspec 'ghc-7.10' did not match any file(s) known to git.

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WorkingConventions/Releases

RE: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.10.1 Release Candidate 1

Simon Peyton Jones
| If I understand correctly, OverloadedRecordFields has not been merged
| yet. Are there any chances to merge it into GHC 7.10.1?

I'm afraid not.  The situation is that Adam has a fairly complete patch for overloaded record fields, but neither he nor I are happy with it. It makes some fairly complicated and pervasive changes, and feels like a sledgehammer to crack a nut. We'd scheduled for Adam to spend a day at MSR for us to work on it together, but Adam had to cancel.  We'll hopefully re-arrange.

Meanwhile it'd be motivating to know who, if anyone, is actively keen on it.  Kazu is presumably one.  I expect there are others, but I couldn't list them.

Simon

| --Kazu
|
| > We are pleased to announce the first release candidate for GHC 7.10.1:
| >
| >     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.1-rc1/
| >
| > This includes the source tarball and bindists for 64bit/32bit Linux
| > and Windows. Binary builds for other platforms will be available
| > shortly. (CentOS 6.5 binaries are not available at this time like they
| > were for 7.8.x). These binaries and tarballs have an accompanying
| > SHA256SUMS file signed by my GPG key id (0x3B58D86F).
| >
| > We plan to make the 7.10.1 release sometime in February of 2015. We
| > expect another RC to occur during January of 2015.
| >
| > Please test as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper if we find them
| > before the release!
| >
| > --
| > Regards,
| >
| > Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant
| > Well-Typed LLP, http://www.well-typed.com/

RE: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.10.1 Release Candidate 1

Dominic Steinitz-2
I counted about 10 people (including me) who appear to be actively keen on it on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/2pnjdk/is_overloadedrecordfields_getting_it_into_7101/. I would guess there are others.

Dominic Steinitz
[hidden email]
http://idontgetoutmuch.wordpress.com

On 29 Dec 2014, at 12:00, [hidden email] wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 10:29:23 +0000
> From: Simon Peyton Jones <[hidden email]>
> To: Kazu Yamamoto <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]"
> <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]"
> <[hidden email]>
> Subject: RE: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.10.1 Release Candidate 1

> | If I understand correctly, OverloadedRecordFields has not been merged
> | yet. Are there any chances to merge it into GHC 7.10.1?
>
> I'm afraid not.  The situation is that Adam has a fairly complete patch for overloaded record fields, but neither he nor I are happy with it. It makes some fairly complicated and pervasive changes, and feels like a sledgehammer to crack a nut. We'd scheduled for Adam to spend a day at MSR for us to work on it together, but Adam had to cancel.  We'll hopefully re-arrange.
>
> Meanwhile it'd be motivating to know who, if anyone, is actively keen on it.  Kazu is presumably one.  I expect there are others, but I couldn't list them.

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.10.1 Release Candidate 1

Erik Hesselink
I made a Mac OS X build. If people want to try it out, you can
download it from [0]. Let me know if you run into any issues.

Regards,

Erik

[0] https://docs.google.com/a/silk.co/uc?id=0B5E6EvOcuE0nNFR4WUVNZzRtbGs&export=download