[ANNOUNCE] GHC 7.10.3 release candidate 1

[ANNOUNCE] GHC 7.10.3 release candidate 1

Ben Gamari-3

We are pleased to announce the first (and hopefully only) release
candidate for GHC 7.10.3:

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3-rc1/

This includes the source tarball and bindists for 64-bit and 32-bit
modern Linux (GMP 5.0 or later) and Windows. These binaries and tarballs
have an accompanying SHA256SUMS file signed by my GPG key id
(0x97DB64AD). As always, our content delivery network tends to be a bit
slow on the uptake. If you see an empty directory at this URL just add a
few superfluous slashes to the end; this is typically enough to fool it.

The 7.10.2 release was well-behaved save a couple notable bugs; while we
have merged a good number of bug fixes in 7.10.3 they were were
largely low risk and so we expect that this release should be
similiarly stable.

The one exception to this is an upgrade of the Windows compiler
toolchain to GCC 5.2. Windows users have been long suffering at the hand
of our old toolchain (e.g. lack of response file support, #8596, and
lack of SEH support) so we expect that this change should fix far more
than breaks.

We plan to make the 7.10.3 release sometime next week.

Please test this as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper if we find
them before the release and this will ideally be the last release of the
7.10 series.

Happy testing,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 7.10.3 release candidate 1

Joachim Breitner-2
Hi,

Am Montag, den 02.11.2015, 13:21 -0500 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
> Personally, I would love delaying announcements such as these until
> binaries are available, at least for Linux, Mac, and Windows.

it’s a release candidate, announced on the developer mailing list.
Isn’t such a mail a requirement for those wo build the various binaries
to get active in the first place? Or is all done by Ben these days.

I’m happy to get the announcement as quickly as possible, as I was
waiting for the source tarball :-)

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]http://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 7.10.3 release candidate 1

Páli Gábor János
> Isn’t such a mail a requirement for those wo build the various binaries
> to get active in the first place?

I think that would require at least an accessible source tarball in
the first place :-)  But apparently there are no files under the
specified directory.

Cheers,
Gábor

Joachim Breitner <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, den 02.11.2015, 13:21 -0500 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
>> Personally, I would love delaying announcements such as these until
>> binaries are available, at least for Linux, Mac, and Windows.
>
> it’s a release candidate, announced on the developer mailing list.
> Isn’t such a mail a requirement for those wo build the various binaries
> to get active in the first place? Or is all done by Ben these days.

The Windows and Linux builds are done by me. The Mac situation is a bit
more complicated as neither Austin nor I have access to an OS X machine.
We are working on getting access to such a machine, but this takes time.

Ideally, the first-tier platforms are supposed[1] to have a sponsor who
is able to work with us to produce the builds and keep track of
platform-specific issues. Sadly OS X has lacked such a person for some
time. We've perhaps not broadcast the need for such a person loudly
enough which is largely my fault. Regardless, it would be extremely
helpful if someone familiar with OS X could step up to fill this role.

To be clear, we certainly won't be cutting a 7.10.3 release until we
know that the release candidate has been adequately tested on OS X.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Platforms

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 7.10.3 release candidate 1

Ben Gamari-2
Páli Gábor János <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Isn’t such a mail a requirement for those wo build the various binaries
>> to get active in the first place?
>
> I think that would require at least an accessible source tarball in
> the first place :-)  But apparently there are no files under the
> specified directory.

It may appear that way but this is merely an unfortunate side-effect of
our content delivery network. Try adding some extra `/` characters to
the URL, e.g.,

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3-rc1//

This is usually enough to fool the CDN info refreshing.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 7.10.3 release candidate 1

Austin Seipp-5
Yeah, I really need to work a trigger into the downloads machine so
that we can clear the CDN cache when we upload/update files... It's
about a mile down my TODO list though (since it bites somewhat rarely
for these cases) - so anyone who wants to do a little JSON API
chatting with Fastly should talk to me. :)

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 2:49 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Páli Gábor János <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> Isn’t such a mail a requirement for those wo build the various binaries
>>> to get active in the first place?
>>
>> I think that would require at least an accessible source tarball in
>> the first place :-)  But apparently there are no files under the
>> specified directory.
>>
> It may appear that way but this is merely an unfortunate side-effect of
> our content delivery network. Try adding some extra `/` characters to
> the URL, e.g.,
>
>     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3-rc1//
>
> This is usually enough to fool the CDN info refreshing.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 7.10.3 release candidate 1

Austin Seipp-5
Yeah, so in the past Tier 1 platforms (OS X, Win, Lin, FreeBSD) are
always available, but I rarely (if ever) held up RCs for anything
besides that. I do have a list of people to alert, though... (Karel
takes care of Solaris for example as time permits).

Even then, I wasn't always the one doing the builds... Gabor takes
care of FreeBSD for me. And Mark was doing the OS X builds before,
because he had an excellent test farm that allowed him to test a
release across an array of OS X versions.

Right now we're working on getting a Mac. I'll have short-term access
to one by tomorrow thankfully, and be getting a new machine soon. So
hopefully this won't be a problem going forward, although some
knowledge transfer from Mark might be in order. :)

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Joachim Breitner
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, den 02.11.2015, 13:21 -0500 schrieb Richard Eisenberg:
>> Personally, I would love delaying announcements such as these until
>> binaries are available, at least for Linux, Mac, and Windows.
>
> it’s a release candidate, announced on the developer mailing list.
> Isn’t such a mail a requirement for those wo build the various binaries
> to get active in the first place? Or is all done by Ben these days.
>
> I’m happy to get the announcement as quickly as possible, as I was
> waiting for the source tarball :-)
>
> Greetings,
> Joachim
>

> --
> Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
>   [hidden email]http://www.joachim-breitner.de/
>   Jabber: [hidden email]  • GPG-Key: 0xF0FBF51F
>   Debian Developer: [hidden email]

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 7.10.3 release candidate 1

Páli Gábor János
> Yeah, so in the past Tier 1 platforms (OS X, Win, Lin, FreeBSD) are
> always available, but I rarely (if ever) held up RCs for anything
> besides that.

The FreeBSD bindists are available there:

http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/ghc/ghc-7.10.2.20151030-i386-portbld-freebsd.tar.bz2
http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/ghc/ghc-7.10.2.20151030-i386-portbld-freebsd.tar.xz
http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/ghc/ghc-7.10.2.20151030-x86_64-portbld-freebsd.tar.bz2
http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/ghc/ghc-7.10.2.20151030-x86_64-portbld-freebsd.tar.xz

along with their sha256 sums:

http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/ghc/SHA256SUMS

and some notes on the installation:

http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/ghc/README.html

Cheers,
Gábor

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 7.10.3 release candidate 1

Carter Schonwald

I will kick off a Mac build this evening or tomorrow.

On Nov 3, 2015 6:28 AM, "Páli Gábor János" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yeah, so in the past Tier 1 platforms (OS X, Win, Lin, FreeBSD) are
> always available, but I rarely (if ever) held up RCs for anything
> besides that.

The FreeBSD bindists are available there:

http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/ghc/ghc-7.10.2.20151030-i386-portbld-freebsd.tar.bz2
http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/ghc/ghc-7.10.2.20151030-i386-portbld-freebsd.tar.xz
http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/ghc/ghc-7.10.2.20151030-x86_64-portbld-freebsd.tar.bz2
http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/ghc/ghc-7.10.2.20151030-x86_64-portbld-freebsd.tar.xz

along with their sha256 sums:

http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/ghc/SHA256SUMS

and some notes on the installation:

http://haskell.inf.elte.hu/ghc/README.html

Cheers,
Gábor

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 7.10.3 release candidate 1

Oleg Grenrus
Travis has whitelisted hvr/ppa ghc-7.10.3 package. Please update your
travis build matrices!

Let’s make travis do its job!

Cheers,
Oleg

> On 02 Nov 2015, at 18:03, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> We are pleased to announce the first (and hopefully only) release
> candidate for GHC 7.10.3:
>
>    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3-rc1/
>
> This includes the source tarball and bindists for 64-bit and 32-bit
> modern Linux (GMP 5.0 or later) and Windows. These binaries and tarballs
> have an accompanying SHA256SUMS file signed by my GPG key id
> (0x97DB64AD). As always, our content delivery network tends to be a bit
> slow on the uptake. If you see an empty directory at this URL just add a
> few superfluous slashes to the end; this is typically enough to fool it.
>
> The 7.10.2 release was well-behaved save a couple notable bugs; while we
> have merged a good number of bug fixes in 7.10.3 they were were
> largely low risk and so we expect that this release should be
> similiarly stable.
>
> The one exception to this is an upgrade of the Windows compiler
> toolchain to GCC 5.2. Windows users have been long suffering at the hand
> of our old toolchain (e.g. lack of response file support, #8596, and
> lack of SEH support) so we expect that this change should fix far more
> than breaks.
>
> We plan to make the 7.10.3 release sometime next week.
>
> Please test this as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper if we find
> them before the release and this will ideally be the last release of the
> 7.10 series.
>
> Happy testing,
>
> - Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 7.10.3 release candidate 1

Richard Eisenberg-2
I can't build 7.10.3 RC1 because I don't have readelf. ./configure says this:

> checking for readelf... no
> configure: error: cannot find readelf in your PATH

A (very) quick search has turned up no help. I'm worried that my problem is that I'm still running Mac OS 10.8.5 (Snow Leopard? I never could keep track of all the animals... and now mountains.) I *really* don't want to upgrade, as I tried 10.9 once and it brought my system to its knees... had to reformat to downgrade back to 10.8.

Help?

Thanks!
Richard

On Nov 4, 2015, at 11:12 AM, Peter Trommler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It looks like a bug to me.

I'm taking your "it" here to mean the fact that GHC is looking for readelf on a Mac OS platform. I tend to agree -- I was surprised to see this, but I'm almost-totally clueless about these things.

Thanks for the info,
Richard

PS: There's been much muttering about call stacks and DWARF. I haven't a clue what DWARF is, but I always assumed that this nice feature would not be available on Macs. What I realized today is that this assumption likely stems from the fact that ELF is not for Mac. ELFs and DWARFs tend to be found near one another in other settings, but perhaps this fact doesn't carry over to computer architectures. :)

> Cheers,
>
> Peter
>
>> On 04.11.2015, at 16:46, Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I can't build 7.10.3 RC1 because I don't have readelf. ./configure says this:
>>
>>> checking for readelf... no
>>> configure: error: cannot find readelf in your PATH
>>
>> A (very) quick search has turned up no help. I'm worried that my problem is that I'm still running Mac OS 10.8.5 (Snow Leopard? I never could keep track of all the animals... and now mountains.) I *really* don't want to upgrade, as I tried 10.9 once and it brought my system to its knees... had to reformat to downgrade back to 10.8.
>>
>> Help?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Richard
>>

> --
> Prof. Dr. Peter Trommler                email: [hidden email]
> Technische Hochschule Nuernberg         phone: +49-911-58 80-16 63
> Faculty of Computer Science             fax:   +49-911-58 80-56 66
> Postfach 31 03 20, 90121 Nuernberg      office: Hohfederstrasse 40, 90489 Nuernberg

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 7.10.3 release candidate 1

Peter Trommler-3
Sent from the wrong account the first time around.

> On 04.11.2015, at 17:18, Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Nov 4, 2015, at 11:12 AM, Peter Trommler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It looks like a bug to me.
>
> I'm taking your "it" here to mean the fact that GHC is looking for readelf on a Mac OS platform.
Yes. That's correct.

Peter

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 7.10.3 release candidate 1

Carter Schonwald
i'm seeing that problem on my mac too. the RC is busted for mac :(, unbuildable even

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 11:35 AM, Peter Trommler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sent from the wrong account the first time around.

> On 04.11.2015, at 17:18, Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Nov 4, 2015, at 11:12 AM, Peter Trommler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It looks like a bug to me.
>
> I'm taking your "it" here to mean the fact that GHC is looking for readelf on a Mac OS platform.
Yes. That's correct.

Peter

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 7.10.3 release candidate 1

Peter Trommler-3
I created #11061.

Peter

Peter Trommler <[hidden email]> writes:

> I created #11061.

Erikd has provided a patch tested on OS X fixing this issue. I'll push
an rc2 source tarball some time today.

Richard Eisenberg <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Nov 4, 2015, at 11:12 AM, Peter Trommler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It looks like a bug to me.
>
> I'm taking your "it" here to mean the fact that GHC is looking for
> readelf on a Mac OS platform. I tend to agree -- I was surprised to
> see this, but I'm almost-totally clueless about these things.
>
> Thanks for the info,
> Richard
>
> PS: There's been much muttering about call stacks and DWARF. I haven't
> a clue what DWARF is, but I always assumed that this nice feature
> would not be available on Macs. What I realized today is that this
> assumption likely stems from the fact that ELF is not for Mac. ELFs
> and DWARFs tend to be found near one another in other settings, but
> perhaps this fact doesn't carry over to computer architectures. :)

DWARF is a standard for expressing debug information about compiled
native programs. It is used by almost all modern operating systems
(including OS X; the only notable exception is Windows, naturally).
Indeed the name is a not-so-subtle reference to the fact that DWARF
debug information will often be found within ELF object files.

Recently I have been working on using the mechanisms that came out of
Peter Wortmann's thesis to provide better stack traces and (statistical)
profiling support for Haskell code. While at the moment I am focusing on
Linux, there is little reason why this couldn't (fairly easily, I
suspect) be extended to work on OS X.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 7.10.3 release candidate 1

Carter Schonwald
I'd be keen to see Mac support.  How can I help out to test that for 8.0?