Quantcast

ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
35 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Ian Lynagh

We are pleased to announce the first release candidate for GHC 7.4.1:

    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/7.4.1-rc2/

This includes the source tarball, installers for OS X and Windows, and
bindists for amd64/Linux, i386/Linux, amd64/FreeBSD and i386/FreeBSD.

Please test as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper if we find them
before the release!

We expect this to be the last release candidate, with the final release
in approximately 1 week's time.


Thanks
Ian, on behalf of the GHC team


_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Evan Laforge
Unfortunately ghci still segfaults for me most times (the previous
release candidate did too).  Anyone else seeing this?  What should I
do to troubleshoot?

OS X 10.6.8, using GHC-7.4.0.20120126-x86_64.pkg

I'll try GHC-7.4.0.20120126-i386.pkg in a bit, but I probably do need
the 64 bit version, previously I had to hassle around with the 32bit
version because it didn't want to link with all the other 64 bit
compiled code.

Also, I notice that the ghc, ghci, ghc-pkg, and haddock links are all
versioned, but not hsc2hs.  hsc2hs is also highly dependent on the ghc
version so it should be versioned too!  I suppose this is for the mac
package maintainer (Mark M, that's you, right?).  What I mean by
versioned is that the other binaries have a ghc and then a
ghc-$version link, so I can switch ghc versions by running a little
shell script.  But for hsc2hs I have to create the hsc2h-$version link
first.  Not a big deal, just a minor quibble.

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Ian Lynagh <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> We are pleased to announce the first release candidate for GHC 7.4.1:
>
>    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/7.4.1-rc2/
>
> This includes the source tarball, installers for OS X and Windows, and
> bindists for amd64/Linux, i386/Linux, amd64/FreeBSD and i386/FreeBSD.
>
> Please test as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper if we find them
> before the release!
>
> We expect this to be the last release candidate, with the final release
> in approximately 1 week's time.
>
>
> Thanks
> Ian, on behalf of the GHC team
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users

_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Austin Seipp
I too was seeing this with RC1, but I haven't tried RC2. Looking at
the commits on the 7.4 branch, I don't see anything that would have
likely affected/fixed it, so I speculate I'll see the same thing with
RC2. I'll try tonight and report back.

I will note that manually built copies of HEAD work just dandy. I do
wonder if it's a problem with the binary distribution itself, as
opposed to some bug fix that didn't get merged into 7.4. I wonder if I
built my own copy and binary-dist of 7.4 if GHCi would segfault or not
- this would indicate it being a problem with the binary distribution
if it doesn't (which sucks, as it means you have to compile it
yourself.)

Ian, can I ask what the procedure would be to check out the 7.4 branch
of GHC and all the associated libraries to try this out? I'm not
familiar with all the `sync-all`-fu, but I speculate it's what'll do
it. :)

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Evan Laforge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unfortunately ghci still segfaults for me most times (the previous
> release candidate did too).  Anyone else seeing this?  What should I
> do to troubleshoot?
>
> OS X 10.6.8, using GHC-7.4.0.20120126-x86_64.pkg
>
> I'll try GHC-7.4.0.20120126-i386.pkg in a bit, but I probably do need
> the 64 bit version, previously I had to hassle around with the 32bit
> version because it didn't want to link with all the other 64 bit
> compiled code.
>
> Also, I notice that the ghc, ghci, ghc-pkg, and haddock links are all
> versioned, but not hsc2hs.  hsc2hs is also highly dependent on the ghc
> version so it should be versioned too!  I suppose this is for the mac
> package maintainer (Mark M, that's you, right?).  What I mean by
> versioned is that the other binaries have a ghc and then a
> ghc-$version link, so I can switch ghc versions by running a little
> shell script.  But for hsc2hs I have to create the hsc2h-$version link
> first.  Not a big deal, just a minor quibble.
>
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Ian Lynagh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> We are pleased to announce the first release candidate for GHC 7.4.1:
>>
>>    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/7.4.1-rc2/
>>
>> This includes the source tarball, installers for OS X and Windows, and
>> bindists for amd64/Linux, i386/Linux, amd64/FreeBSD and i386/FreeBSD.
>>
>> Please test as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper if we find them
>> before the release!
>>
>> We expect this to be the last release candidate, with the final release
>> in approximately 1 week's time.
>>
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ian, on behalf of the GHC team
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
>
> _______________________________________________
> Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users



--
Regards,
Austin

_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Ian Lynagh
In reply to this post by Evan Laforge
On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 08:57:35PM -0800, Evan Laforge wrote:
> Unfortunately ghci still segfaults for me most times (the previous
> release candidate did too).  Anyone else seeing this?  What should I
> do to troubleshoot?
>
> OS X 10.6.8, using GHC-7.4.0.20120126-x86_64.pkg

Ah, sorry, I should have said:

The OS X installer (and the bindist) is known to work on OS X 10.7.2
with Xcode 4.1, and will not work with some older versions (I don't know
if it's older versions of OS X or of XCode that cause problems).

If you build GHC yourself on an older version, then the result should
work.


Thanks
Ian


_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Ian Lynagh
In reply to this post by Austin Seipp
On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 11:10:26PM -0600, Austin Seipp wrote:
>
> Ian, can I ask what the procedure would be to check out the 7.4 branch
> of GHC and all the associated libraries to try this out? I'm not
> familiar with all the `sync-all`-fu, but I speculate it's what'll do
> it. :)

See
    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/GettingTheSources#Gettingabranch
with branch-name being ghc-7.4


Thanks
Ian


_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Sanket Agrawal
In reply to this post by Ian Lynagh

I installed it on my mac (OS X 10.7.2, XCode 4.1) without any issues (using bindist, not pkg). Is upgrading to XCode 4.2 ok from GHC perspective (more specifically, runtime performance of code compiled by GHC)? I have seen some discussion of Clang causing issues for GHC, but it was about compiling GHC RTS using gcc instead of llvm-gcc. XCode 4.2 has only llvm-gcc, it seems. But, as long as I use GHC bindist, that shouldn't matter.

The reason I am asking is I want to try LLVM backend but GHC keeps complaining about missing llvm tools (opt, llc). I checked LLVM webpage but couldn't find information about how to determine what llvm tools are installed on my Mac. My guess is XCode 4.1 comes with llvm backend for GCC, but not standalone LLVM tools that GHC needs, and that upgrading to XCode 4.2 would give me LLVM 3.0 tools as well. Please correct me if I got it wrong.


On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Ian Lynagh <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 08:57:35PM -0800, Evan Laforge wrote:
> Unfortunately ghci still segfaults for me most times (the previous
> release candidate did too).  Anyone else seeing this?  What should I
> do to troubleshoot?
>
> OS X 10.6.8, using GHC-7.4.0.20120126-x86_64.pkg

Ah, sorry, I should have said:

The OS X installer (and the bindist) is known to work on OS X 10.7.2
with Xcode 4.1, and will not work with some older versions (I don't know
if it's older versions of OS X or of XCode that cause problems).

If you build GHC yourself on an older version, then the result should
work.


Thanks
Ian


_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users


_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Johan Tibell-2
On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 6:52 AM, Sanket Agrawal
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The reason I am asking is I want to try LLVM backend but GHC keeps
> complaining about missing llvm tools (opt, llc). I checked LLVM webpage but
> couldn't find information about how to determine what llvm tools are
> installed on my Mac. My guess is XCode 4.1 comes with llvm backend for GCC,
> but not standalone LLVM tools that GHC needs, and that upgrading to XCode
> 4.2 would give me LLVM 3.0 tools as well. Please correct me if I got it
> wrong.

I just downloaded the LLVM binaries and put them somewhere on my PATH.

-- Johan

_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Sanket Agrawal


On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Johan Tibell <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 6:52 AM, Sanket Agrawal
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The reason I am asking is I want to try LLVM backend but GHC keeps
> complaining about missing llvm tools (opt, llc). I checked LLVM webpage but
> couldn't find information about how to determine what llvm tools are
> installed on my Mac. My guess is XCode 4.1 comes with llvm backend for GCC,
> but not standalone LLVM tools that GHC needs, and that upgrading to XCode
> 4.2 would give me LLVM 3.0 tools as well. Please correct me if I got it
> wrong.

I just downloaded the LLVM binaries and put them somewhere on my PATH.

Yes, that is another possibility. I would like to keep it simple, and just upgrade to XCode 4.2, instead of installing Clang+LLVM binaries separately, if it is not an issue for GHC.


_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Ian Lynagh
In reply to this post by Sanket Agrawal
On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 09:52:13AM -0500, Sanket Agrawal wrote:
> I installed it on my mac (OS X 10.7.2, XCode 4.1) without any issues (using
> bindist, not pkg). Is upgrading to XCode 4.2 ok from GHC perspective

There is a problem with the LLVM gcc and GHC:
    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5810

I don't know if it is only a problem when compiling the RTS.


Thanks
Ian


_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Serge D. Mechveliani
In reply to this post by Ian Lynagh
On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 11:15:46PM +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:
>
> We are pleased to announce the first release candidate for GHC 7.4.1:
>
>     http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/7.4.1-rc2/
>

The first candidate or the second?
(for the date is  Jan 27).
Is  ghc-7.4.0.20111219  the first candidate?

Also people already reported a couple of bugs for  7.4.1-rc2/.
So, is there going to be the  third  candidate?
If not, then I'll, probably, have to test this second candidate
(if it is second).

Regards,

------
Sergei
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Brandon Allbery
In reply to this post by Sanket Agrawal

On Jan 28, 2012 11:14 AM, "Sanket Agrawal" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, that is another possibility. I would like to keep it simple, and just upgrade to XCode 4.2, instead of installing Clang+LLVM binaries separately, if it is not an issue for GHC.

Xcode 4.2 doesn't include full LLVM either; moreover, what it does have is an llvm3 prerelease that apparently doesn't work with -fllvm.

--
...tabula non rasa
(brandon s allbery kf8nh on the padd)


_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Ian Lynagh
In reply to this post by Serge D. Mechveliani
On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 08:32:31PM +0400, Serge D. Mechveliani wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 11:15:46PM +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> >
> > We are pleased to announce the first release candidate for GHC 7.4.1:
> >
> >     http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/7.4.1-rc2/
> >
>
> The first candidate or the second?

Sorry, copy-and-paste error. This is the second release candidate.

> (for the date is  Jan 27).
> Is  ghc-7.4.0.20111219  the first candidate?

Yes.

> Also people already reported a couple of bugs for  7.4.1-rc2/.
> So, is there going to be the  third  candidate?

That's very unlikely.

> If not, then I'll, probably, have to test this second candidate

That would be great, thanks!


Thanks
Ian


_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Austin Seipp
In reply to this post by Ian Lynagh
Ian,

Thanks for pointing this out.

I run XCode 4 (and haven't had the opportunity to upgrade.) Would it
be reasonable to make a binary distribution for people like Evan and
Me and hopefully have it put on the download page?

I presume the people in our boat are actually pretty small in number
(OS X users are fairly keen to upgrade pretty quickly,) but it would
be nice to not have to build it ourselves if that's the case.

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 7:55 AM, Ian Lynagh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 08:57:35PM -0800, Evan Laforge wrote:
>> Unfortunately ghci still segfaults for me most times (the previous
>> release candidate did too).  Anyone else seeing this?  What should I
>> do to troubleshoot?
>>
>> OS X 10.6.8, using GHC-7.4.0.20120126-x86_64.pkg
>
> Ah, sorry, I should have said:
>
> The OS X installer (and the bindist) is known to work on OS X 10.7.2
> with Xcode 4.1, and will not work with some older versions (I don't know
> if it's older versions of OS X or of XCode that cause problems).
>
> If you build GHC yourself on an older version, then the result should
> work.
>
>
> Thanks
> Ian
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users



--
Regards,
Austin

_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

wren ng thornton
On 1/28/12 6:09 PM, Austin Seipp wrote:
> I presume the people in our boat are actually pretty small in number
> (OS X users are fairly keen to upgrade pretty quickly,) but it would
> be nice to not have to build it ourselves if that's the case.

On the whole, we are. But there are some in worse positions; I'm still
running 10.5.8 which (IIRC) isn't compatible with the new XTools which
is required for newer GHC versions. Sigh. So it goes.

--
Live well,
~wren

_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Austin Seipp
In reply to this post by Ian Lynagh
Hello again Ian,

I noticed that in December, Bas van Dijk reported a bug in the
implementation of ConstraintKinds/associated type defaults, and the
fix wasn't merged to 7.4.1.

The relevant email thread is archived here:

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2011-December/021318.html

The relevant trac ticket is #5719 here:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5719

The example in the ticket does not type-check with GHC 7.4.1-rc2, but
it does with a copy of HEAD. There seem to be 2 commits that are
relevant to this issue:

https://github.com/ghc/ghc/commit/416c5903f3b8cf4cdd4a03c8949489df18cd790a

https://github.com/ghc/ghc/commit/8785726b57ccd44c5451385de61913a79fe02eb7

Would it be possible to have these merged into the 7.4 branch before
release? They fix the issue Bas reported, and eliminate the need for
his kludgy fix which uses an Empty typeclass to get around the issue.
It makes turning Set into a Functor much cleaner in this case, IMO.



On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Ian Lynagh <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> We are pleased to announce the first release candidate for GHC 7.4.1:
>
>    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/7.4.1-rc2/
>
> This includes the source tarball, installers for OS X and Windows, and
> bindists for amd64/Linux, i386/Linux, amd64/FreeBSD and i386/FreeBSD.
>
> Please test as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper if we find them
> before the release!
>
> We expect this to be the last release candidate, with the final release
> in approximately 1 week's time.
>
>
> Thanks
> Ian, on behalf of the GHC team
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users



--
Regards,
Austin

_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Ian Lynagh
In reply to this post by Austin Seipp
On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 05:09:20PM -0600, Austin Seipp wrote:
>
> I run XCode 4 (and haven't had the opportunity to upgrade.) Would it
> be reasonable to make a binary distribution for people like Evan and
> Me and hopefully have it put on the download page?

If someone makes a bindist and/or installer then I can add it to the
download page.


Thanks
Ian


_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Austin Seipp
I've done so, and have an RC2 bindist that doesn't have a segfaulting
GHCi. I suppose this build should be advocated to Snow Leopard users.

I currently need a place to put the bindist. I'm about to send an
email to community.haskell.org to get my code.haskell.org SSH keys
updated, and I'll then be able to upload the RC2 bindist there and
follow up here (so people like Evan can give it a shot.)

If nobody else is opposed, I'll take care of finding out how to build
an OS X pkg, and provide that and a bindist for SL once the release
goes final.

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 6:50 AM, Ian Lynagh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 05:09:20PM -0600, Austin Seipp wrote:
>>
>> I run XCode 4 (and haven't had the opportunity to upgrade.) Would it
>> be reasonable to make a binary distribution for people like Evan and
>> Me and hopefully have it put on the download page?
>
> If someone makes a bindist and/or installer then I can add it to the
> download page.
>
>
> Thanks
> Ian
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users



--
Regards,
Austin

_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Karel Gardas
In reply to this post by Ian Lynagh

Hello,

7.4.1 RC2 shows the same issue like recent HEAD on ARM/Linux platform: a
lot of (I don't know if not all) threaded1 testcases fail with:

Stdout:

Stderr:
GEq1: internal error: ASSERTION FAILED: file rts/Schedule.c, line 506

     (GHC version 7.4.0.20120126 for arm_unknown_linux)
     Please report this as a GHC bug:  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug
Aborted

As I said, this is recent breakage. AFAIK 7.4.1RC1 was OK from this
point of view and also HEAD at least in October/November 2011 (here I'm
not 100% sure about Nov) was also OK.

Simon M already asked me for providing him more information about this
issue with some guidance what to do. I will do this shortly.

Thanks,
Karel

On 01/28/12 12:15 AM, Ian Lynagh wrote:

>
> We are pleased to announce the first release candidate for GHC 7.4.1:
>
>      http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/7.4.1-rc2/
>
> This includes the source tarball, installers for OS X and Windows, and
> bindists for amd64/Linux, i386/Linux, amd64/FreeBSD and i386/FreeBSD.
>
> Please test as much as possible; bugs are much cheaper if we find them
> before the release!
>
> We expect this to be the last release candidate, with the final release
> in approximately 1 week's time.
>
>
> Thanks
> Ian, on behalf of the GHC team
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
>


_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Rene de Visser
In reply to this post by Ian Lynagh
What are the plans for http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5623 which
seems to be still open?

Quoting form the ticket ...
Just to spam a little more, it seems that the HEAD happily duplicates all
computations on unboxed types. It even duplicates x+x in this example:

foo :: Float -> Float
foo x = let y = x+x in y+yI haven't tested but this looks bad for
performance critical code.

Rene.




_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC 7.4.1 Release Candidate 2

Ian Lynagh

Hi Rene,

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 08:15:05PM +0100, Rene de Visser wrote:
> What are the plans for http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5623 which
> seems to be still open?

We don't plan to fix it for 7.4.1. Assuming we do a 7.4.2, if we have a
fix for it then it could go in 7.4.2.


Thanks
Ian


_______________________________________________
Glasgow-haskell-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.haskell.org/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
12
Loading...