[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.1-rc1 available

Ben Gamari-3

The GHC development team is pleased to announce the first (and likely
final) release candidate of GHC 8.4.1. The usual release artifacts are
available from

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.1-rc1

This release will likely be the last release before the final 8.4.1
release, which, if things go well, will be released one week from today.

Due to user demand we now offer a binary distribution for 64-bit
Fedora 27, which links against ncurses6. This is in contrast to the
Debian 8 distribution, which links against ncurses5. Users of newer
distributions (Fedora 27, Debian Sid) should use this new Fedora 27
distribution.

Also due to user demand we have reintroduced compatibility with GCC 4.4,
which earlier alphas had dropped due to #14244.

Note that this release candidate is still affected by #14705, although
this will certainly be resolved before the final release is made.

=== Notes on release scheduling ===

The 8.4.1 release marks the first release where GHC will be adhering to
its new, higher-cadence release schedule [1]. Under this new scheme,
major releases will be made in 6-month intervals with interstitial minor
releases as necessary.

In order to minimize the likelihood of schedule slippage and to ensure
adequate testing, each major release will be preceded by a number of
regular alpha releases. We will begin issuing these releases roughly
three months before the final date of the major release and will issue
roughly one every two weeks during this period. This high release
cadence will allow us to quickly get fixes into users' hands and
more quickly identify potential issues.

As always, do let us know if you encounter any trouble in the course of
testing. Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/blog/2017-release-schedule

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.1-rc1 available

Vincent Hanquez
On 25/02/18 17:42, Ben Gamari wrote:
> The GHC development team is pleased to announce the first (and likely
> final) release candidate of GHC 8.4.1. The usual release artifacts are
> available from
>
>      https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.1-rc1

Hi Ben,

Looks like both SHA1SUM and SHA256SUM are missing the fedora27 variant

Cheers,
Vincent

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.1-rc1 available

Jens Petersen-4
On 26 February 2018 at 02:42, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.1-rc1

I'd like to ask: what BuildFlavour are these builds?  Perf or something else?
Is there a build.mk file for them?  (If so would it make sense to
include it in the binary tarballs?)

I started https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/petersen/ghc-8.4.1/
for Fedora testing.

Thanks, Jens

Jens Petersen <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 26 February 2018 at 02:42, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.1-rc1
>
> I'd like to ask: what BuildFlavour are these builds?  Perf or something else?
> Is there a build.mk file for them?  (If so would it make sense to
> include it in the binary tarballs?)
>

> I started https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/petersen/ghc-8.4.1/
> for Fedora testing.

All of the binary distributions since 7.10.3 have been produced using
this script [1]. It uses `BuildFlavour=` which is essentially equivalent
to `BuildFlavour=perf`.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://github.com/bgamari/ghc-utils/blob/master/rel-eng/bin-release.sh

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.1-rc1 available

Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦)
Hello Ben,

> As always, do let us know if you encounter any trouble in the course of
> testing. Thanks for your help!

I tried GHC 8.4.1rc1 to understand how SemigroupMonoid and MonadFail
proposals work.

GHC 8.4.1rc1 surely detects Monoid data types if they are not
instances of Semigroup. However, GHC users guide still says that both
-Wcompat and -Wsemigroup are disabled by default. Should we update the
document or am I missing something?

GHC 8.4.1rc does not find Monad data types which define "fail" even
with -Wcompat. Now I understand that
-Wnoncanonical-monadfail-instances is necessary. Why doesn't -Wcampat
include -Wnoncanonical-monadfail-instances?

Anyway, I hope that the proposals will be updated with the concurete
warning flag names so that I can understand them easily.

--Kazu

Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦) <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello Ben,

Hi Kazu,

>> As always, do let us know if you encounter any trouble in the course of
>> testing. Thanks for your help!
>
> I tried GHC 8.4.1rc1 to understand how SemigroupMonoid and MonadFail
> proposals work.
>
> GHC 8.4.1rc1 surely detects Monoid data types if they are not
> instances of Semigroup. However, GHC users guide still says that both
> -Wcompat and -Wsemigroup are disabled by default. Should we update the
> document or am I missing something?

What you are seeing isn't a warning, it's an error.
8.4.1 throws errors for Monoids missing Semigroup instances not because
of -Wsemigroup but rather because Semigroup is now a superclass of
Monoid.

-Wsemigroup will likely be deprecated in a future release now since
we've reached phase 2 of the Semigroup/Monoid proposal.

> GHC 8.4.1rc does not find Monad data types which define "fail" even
> with -Wcompat. Now I understand that
> -Wnoncanonical-monadfail-instances is necessary. Why doesn't -Wcampat
> include -Wnoncanonical-monadfail-instances?

My understanding is that the MonadFail proposal is in a bit of a state
of limbo, so its preparatory warning flag hasn't yet been added to
-Wcompat.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.1-rc1 available

Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦)
Hi Ben,

> What you are seeing isn't a warning, it's an error.
> 8.4.1 throws errors for Monoids missing Semigroup instances not because
> of -Wsemigroup but rather because Semigroup is now a superclass of
> Monoid.
>
> -Wsemigroup will likely be deprecated in a future release now since
> we've reached phase 2 of the Semigroup/Monoid proposal.

Thank you for your explanation. It's now clear to me!

>> GHC 8.4.1rc does not find Monad data types which define "fail" even
>> with -Wcompat. Now I understand that
>> -Wnoncanonical-monadfail-instances is necessary. Why doesn't -Wcampat
>> include -Wnoncanonical-monadfail-instances?
>
> My understanding is that the MonadFail proposal is in a bit of a state
> of limbo, so its preparatory warning flag hasn't yet been added to
> -Wcompat.

OK. I hope the proposal Wiki documents will be updated anyway.

--Kazu