[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.4 released

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.4 released

Ben Gamari-3
Hello everyone,
The GHC team is pleased to announce the availability of GHC 8.4.4, a
patch-level release in the 8.4 series. The source distribution, binary
distributions, and documentation for this release are available at

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.4

This release fixes several bugs present in 8.4.3 These include,

  - A bug which could result in memory unsafety with certain uses of
    `touch#` has been resolved. (#14346)

  - A compiler panic triggered by some GADT record updates has been
    fixed (#15499)

  - The `text` library has been updated, fixing several serious bugs in
    the version shipped with GHC 8.4.3 (see `text` issues #227, #221,
    and #197.

  - A serious code generation bug in the LLVM code generation,
    potentially resulting in incorrect evaluation of floating point
    expressions, has been fixed (#14251)

As always, the full release notes can be found in the users guide,

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.4/docs/html/users_guide/8.4.4-notes.html

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to developing, documenting, and
testing this release!

As always, let us know if you encounter trouble.

How to get it
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The easy way is to go to the web page, which should be self-explanatory:

        https://www.haskell.org/ghc/

We supply binary builds in the native package format for many
platforms, and the source distribution is available from the same
place.

Packages will appear as they are built - if the package for your
system isn't available yet, please try again later.

Background
~~~~~~~~~~

Haskell is a standard lazy functional programming language.

GHC is a state-of-the-art programming suite for Haskell.  Included is
an optimising compiler generating efficient code for a variety of
platforms, together with an interactive system for convenient, quick
development.  The distribution includes space and time profiling
facilities, a large collection of libraries, and support for various
language extensions, including concurrency, exceptions, and foreign
language interfaces. GHC is distributed under a BSD-style open source license.

A wide variety of Haskell related resources (tutorials, libraries,
specifications, documentation, compilers, interpreters, references,
contact information, links to research groups) are available from the
Haskell home page (see below).

On-line GHC-related resources
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Relevant URLs on the World-Wide Web:

GHC home page              https://www.haskell.org/ghc/
GHC developers' home page  https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/
Haskell home page          https://www.haskell.org/

Supported Platforms
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The list of platforms we support, and the people responsible for them,
is here:

   https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Contributors

Ports to other platforms are possible with varying degrees of
difficulty.  The Building Guide describes how to go about porting to a
new platform:

    https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building

Developers
~~~~~~~~~~

We welcome new contributors.  Instructions on accessing our source
code repository, and getting started with hacking on GHC, are
available from the GHC's developer's site run by Trac:

  https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/

Mailing lists
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We run mailing lists for GHC users and bug reports; to subscribe, use
the web interfaces at

    https://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/glasgow-haskell-users
    https://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-tickets

There are several other haskell and ghc-related mailing lists on
www.haskell.org; for the full list, see

    https://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo

Some GHC developers hang out on #haskell on IRC, too:

    https://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/IRC_channel

Please report bugs using our bug tracking system.  Instructions on
reporting bugs can be found here:


_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

signature.asc (497 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.4 released

Jens Petersen-4
On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 07:17, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The GHC team is pleased to announce the availability of GHC 8.4.4

Thank you

> As always, the full release notes can be found in the users guide,

https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.4/docs/html/users_guide/8.4.4-notes.html#base-library

I think this base text is out of date, and could be dropped, right?

I see that stm was also bumped: though it is not listed in
https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.4/docs/html/users_guide/8.4.4-notes.html#included-libraries

Cheers, Jens
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.4 released

Ben Gamari-3
Jens Petersen <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 07:17, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The GHC team is pleased to announce the availability of GHC 8.4.4
>
> Thank you
>
>> As always, the full release notes can be found in the users guide,
>
> https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.4/docs/html/users_guide/8.4.4-notes.html#base-library
>
> I think this base text is out of date, and could be dropped, right?
>
Indeed it is.

> I see that stm was also bumped: though it is not listed in
> https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.4/docs/html/users_guide/8.4.4-notes.html#included-libraries
>
Also true. However, in my mind this isn't nearly as significant as the
`text` bump, which affects many users and fixes extremely bad
misbehavior.

Thanks for noticing these!

Cheers

- Ben

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

signature.asc (497 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.4 released

Jens Petersen-4
More seriously ghc-8.4.4 fails to build on ARM 32bit and 64bit due to
the llvm changes afaict.

I opened https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/15780 for this.

Jens
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.4 released

David Feuer-2
In reply to this post by Ben Gamari-3
Did  this release fix the dataToTag# issue? I think that has a number of people concerned.
On Oct 18, 2018, at 11:46 AM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jens Petersen <[hidden email]> writes:

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 07:17, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
The GHC team is pleased to announce the availability of GHC 8.4.4

Thank you

As always, the full release notes can be found in the users guide,

https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.4/docs/html/users_guide/8.4.4-notes.html#base-library

I think this base text is out of date, and could be dropped, right?

Indeed it is.

I see that stm was also bumped: though it is not listed in
https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.4/docs/html/users_guide/8.4.4-notes.html#included-libraries

Also true. However, in my mind this isn't nearly as significant as the
`text` bump, which affects many users and fixes extremely bad
misbehavior.

Thanks for noticing these!

Cheers

- Ben


ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.4 released

Carter Schonwald
Hey David, i'm looking at the git history andit doesn't seem to have any commits between 8.4.3 and 8.4.4 related to the dataToTag issue

does any haskell code in the while trigger the bug on 8.4 series?

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 11:06 AM David Feuer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did  this release fix the dataToTag# issue? I think that has a number of people concerned.
On Oct 18, 2018, at 11:46 AM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jens Petersen <[hidden email]> writes:

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 at 07:17, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
The GHC team is pleased to announce the availability of GHC 8.4.4

Thank you

As always, the full release notes can be found in the users guide,

https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.4/docs/html/users_guide/8.4.4-notes.html#base-library

I think this base text is out of date, and could be dropped, right?

Indeed it is.

I see that stm was also bumped: though it is not listed in
https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.4.4/docs/html/users_guide/8.4.4-notes.html#included-libraries

Also true. However, in my mind this isn't nearly as significant as the
`text` bump, which affects many users and fixes extremely bad
misbehavior.

Thanks for noticing these!

Cheers

- Ben


ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.4 released

David Feuer
On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 4:43 PM Carter Schonwald
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey David, i'm looking at the git history andit doesn't seem to have any commits between 8.4.3 and 8.4.4 related to the dataToTag issue
>
> does any haskell code in the while trigger the bug on 8.4 series?

I don't think anyone knows. It seems clear that it's considerably
easier to trigger the bug in 8.6, but
as far as I can tell, there's no reason to believe that it couldn't be
triggered by realistic code in
8.4.
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.4 released

Artem Pelenitsyn
David, when you say "dataToTag# issue", you mean #15696? It seems from the discussion there that it is still under investigation.

--
Best, Artem

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 17:02 David Feuer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 4:43 PM Carter Schonwald
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey David, i'm looking at the git history andit doesn't seem to have any commits between 8.4.3 and 8.4.4 related to the dataToTag issue
>
> does any haskell code in the while trigger the bug on 8.4 series?

I don't think anyone knows. It seems clear that it's considerably
easier to trigger the bug in 8.6, but
as far as I can tell, there's no reason to believe that it couldn't be
triggered by realistic code in
8.4.
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs

_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.4 released

Ömer Sinan Ağacan
Hi all,

Just a quick update about #16969.

The primop itself is buggy in 8.4 (and it should be buggy even in older
versions -- although I haven't confirmed this) and 2 of the 3 regressions added
for it currently fail with GHC 8.4.4. I don't know what the plan is for fixing
it in 8.4, Ben may say more about this, but I'm guessing that we'll see another
8.4 release.

So if you're using the primop directly, just don't! If you're not using it
directly, then as David says the bug is much harder to trigger in GHC 8.4 (and
even older versions) than in GHC 8.6, but we don't know if it's _impossible_ to
trigger in GHC 8.4 and older versions.

We fixed the bug in GHC HEAD weeks ago (with Phab:5201), current investigation
in #15696 is not blocking any releases, we're just tying up some loose ends and
doing refactoring to handle some similar primops more uniformly. This is only
refactoring and documentation -- known bugs are already fixed.

(I now realize that it would've been better to do this in a separate ticket to
avoid confusion)

Ömer

Artem Pelenitsyn <[hidden email]>, 27 Eki 2018 Cmt, 00:18
tarihinde şunu yazdı:

>
> David, when you say "dataToTag# issue", you mean #15696? It seems from the discussion there that it is still under investigation.
>
> --
> Best, Artem
>
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 17:02 David Feuer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 4:43 PM Carter Schonwald
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hey David, i'm looking at the git history andit doesn't seem to have any commits between 8.4.3 and 8.4.4 related to the dataToTag issue
>> >
>> > does any haskell code in the while trigger the bug on 8.4 series?
>>
>> I don't think anyone knows. It seems clear that it's considerably
>> easier to trigger the bug in 8.6, but
>> as far as I can tell, there's no reason to believe that it couldn't be
>> triggered by realistic code in
>> 8.4.
>> _______________________________________________
>> ghc-devs mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
>
> _______________________________________________
> ghc-devs mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.4.4 released

Ömer Sinan Ağacan
Sorry for the typos in my previous email.

#16969 -> #15696 (https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/15696)
regressions -> regression tests
Phab:5201 -> Phab:D5201 (https://phabricator.haskell.org/D5201)

By "the primop" I mean dataToTag#.

Ömer

Ömer Sinan Ağacan <[hidden email]>, 27 Eki 2018 Cmt, 10:23
tarihinde şunu yazdı:

>
> Hi all,
>
> Just a quick update about #16969.
>
> The primop itself is buggy in 8.4 (and it should be buggy even in older
> versions -- although I haven't confirmed this) and 2 of the 3 regressions added
> for it currently fail with GHC 8.4.4. I don't know what the plan is for fixing
> it in 8.4, Ben may say more about this, but I'm guessing that we'll see another
> 8.4 release.
>
> So if you're using the primop directly, just don't! If you're not using it
> directly, then as David says the bug is much harder to trigger in GHC 8.4 (and
> even older versions) than in GHC 8.6, but we don't know if it's _impossible_ to
> trigger in GHC 8.4 and older versions.
>
> We fixed the bug in GHC HEAD weeks ago (with Phab:5201), current investigation
> in #15696 is not blocking any releases, we're just tying up some loose ends and
> doing refactoring to handle some similar primops more uniformly. This is only
> refactoring and documentation -- known bugs are already fixed.
>
> (I now realize that it would've been better to do this in a separate ticket to
> avoid confusion)
>
> Ömer
>
> Artem Pelenitsyn <[hidden email]>, 27 Eki 2018 Cmt, 00:18
> tarihinde şunu yazdı:
> >
> > David, when you say "dataToTag# issue", you mean #15696? It seems from the discussion there that it is still under investigation.
> >
> > --
> > Best, Artem
> >
> > On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 17:02 David Feuer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 4:43 PM Carter Schonwald
> >> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> >
> >> > Hey David, i'm looking at the git history andit doesn't seem to have any commits between 8.4.3 and 8.4.4 related to the dataToTag issue
> >> >
> >> > does any haskell code in the while trigger the bug on 8.4 series?
> >>
> >> I don't think anyone knows. It seems clear that it's considerably
> >> easier to trigger the bug in 8.6, but
> >> as far as I can tell, there's no reason to believe that it couldn't be
> >> triggered by realistic code in
> >> 8.4.
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> ghc-devs mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > ghc-devs mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs
_______________________________________________
ghc-devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.haskell.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ghc-devs