[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.6.4 is now available

Ben Gamari-3

Hello everyone,

The GHC team is very happy to announce the availability of GHC 8.6.4, a
bugfix release in the GHC 8.6 series. The source distribution, binary
distributions, and documentation for this release are available at

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.6.4

The 8.6.4 release fixes several regressions present in 8.6.3 including:

 - A regression resulting in segmentation faults on Windows introduced
   by the fix for #16071 backported in 8.6.3. This fix has been reverted,
   meaning that 8.6.4 is once again susceptible to #16071. #16071 will
   be fixed in GHC 8.8.1.

 - A bug resulting in incorrect locking on Darwin, potentially resulting
   in hangs at shutdown (#16150)

 - A few bugs in the profiled runtime resulting in the potential for
   memory unsafety has been fixed (#15508).

 - The `process` and `transformers` libraries shipped now properly
   reflect released Hackage releases (#16199)

 - A bug where TH name resolution would break in a plugin context has
   been fixed (#16104)

 - Compilers that do not support TemplateHaskell no longer advertise
   such support in `--supported-languages` (#16331)

As a few of these issues are rather serious users are strongly
encouraged to upgrade. See Trac [1] for a full list of issues resolved
in this release.

Note that this release ships with one significant but long-standing bug
(#14251): Calls to functions taking both Float# and Double# may result
in incorrect code generation when compiled using the LLVM code generator.
This is not a new issue, it has existed as long as the LLVM code
generator has existed; however, changes in code generation in 8.6 made
it more likely that user code using only lifted types will trigger it.

Note also that this is the first release cut from our (yet again)
revamped continuous integration infrastructure. While we have done a
great deal of checking to ensure that the build configuration reflects
that of previous releases, do let us know if something looks off.

Happy compiling!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/query?status=closed&milestone=8.6.4&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=priority

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.6.4 is now available

Phyx
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the release! I was wondering, any reason for the no i386 Windows?
Should I just create the package without it or is it coming?

Thanks,
Tamar

Phyx <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for the release! I was wondering, any reason for the no i386 Windows?
> Should I just create the package without it or is it coming?

This is one configuration I haven't yet had a chance to CI-ify. I was
hoping it would be missed but since you mention it I've gone ahead and
put up an attempt at fixing this (!495 [1]). It will likely take a few
iterations to get right but I'll try to get it sorted by the end of the
week.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/495

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.6.4 is now available

Phyx
Thanks! To be fair I'm not really sure how popular it is. I was wondering since once I upload the chocolatey packages it's immutable.

If there's anything I can help with let me know.

Cheers,
Tamar

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019, 21:47 Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Phyx <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for the release! I was wondering, any reason for the no i386 Windows?
> Should I just create the package without it or is it coming?

This is one configuration I haven't yet had a chance to CI-ify. I was
hoping it would be missed but since you mention it I've gone ahead and
put up an attempt at fixing this (!495 [1]). It will likely take a few
iterations to get right but I'll try to get it sorted by the end of the
week.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/495

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.6.4 is now available

Alan & Kim Zimmerman
I'm impressed, 'stack setup 8.6.4` brings it down already.

Alan

Phyx <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for the release! I was wondering, any reason for the no i386 Windows?
> Should I just create the package without it or is it coming?

This is one configuration I haven't yet had a chance to CI-ify. I was
hoping it would be missed but since you mention it I've gone ahead and
put up an attempt at fixing this (!495 [1]). It will likely take a few
iterations to get right but I'll try to get it sorted by the end of the
week.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/merge_requests/495

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.6.4 is now available

Takenobu Tani

I always appreciate your hard work.

Perhaps you may know, but the following html documents are not included in the windows tarball [1]:

  * doc/html/index.html
  * doc/html/users_guide/index.html
  * doc/html/libraries/index.html

These files were included in ghc-8.6.3 tarball [2].

These are very useful in offline or slow network environment :)

Regards,
Takenobu

Takenobu Tani <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I always appreciate your hard work.
>
> Perhaps you may know, but the following html documents are not included in
> the windows tarball [1]:
>
>   * doc/html/index.html
>   * doc/html/users_guide/index.html
>   * doc/html/libraries/index.html

Thanks Takenobu! I hadn't noticed this. I've opened #16398 to track
this. We'll try to fix this before 8.8.1.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.6.4 is now available

Takenobu Tani
> I've opened #16398 to track this. We'll try to fix this before 8.8.1.

Thanks for doing that!

Regards,
Takenobu

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.6.4 is now available

GHC - devs mailing list
Hi Ben,

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 3:53 PM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everyone,

The GHC team is very happy to announce the availability of GHC 8.6.4, a
bugfix release in the GHC 8.6 series.

There doesn't seem to be a ghc-8.6.4-release tag of http://git.haskell.org/ghc.git? Can you advise me on a magic invocation that would let me get a checkout of the repository at the release SHA?

This message, and any attachments, is for the intended recipient(s) only, may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or proprietary and subject to important terms and conditions available at http://www.digitalasset.com/emaildisclaimer.html. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message.

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 10:59 AM Shayne Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry if you get two of these messages (having some email client problems :) )!

Hi Ben,

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 3:53 PM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everyone,

The GHC team is very happy to announce the availability of GHC 8.6.4, a
bugfix release in the GHC 8.6 series.

There doesn't seem to be a ghc-8.6.4-release tag of http://git.haskell.org/ghc.git? Can you advise me on a magic invocation that would let me get a checkout of the repository at the release SHA?

Oh wait! Is it the SHA in the file `GIT_COMMIT_ID`?

--
Shayne Fletcher
Language Engineer

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 11:09 AM Shayne Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 3:53 PM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everyone,

The GHC team is very happy to announce the availability of GHC 8.6.4, a
bugfix release in the GHC 8.6 series.

There doesn't seem to be a ghc-8.6.4-release tag of http://git.haskell.org/ghc.git? Can you advise me on a magic invocation that would let me get a checkout of the repository at the release SHA?

Oh wait! Is it the SHA in the file `GIT_COMMIT_ID`?

No, apparently not:
```
fatal: reference is not a tree: aac18e9a08e6de9648e1a62d849dcd409f407df8
```
Related : the `ANNOUNCE` file at least seems very out-of-date.

Shayne Fletcher via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 11:09 AM Shayne Fletcher <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> There doesn't seem to be a  ghc-8.6.4-release tag of
>>> http://git.haskell.org/ghc.git? Can you advise me on a magic invocation
>>> that would let me get a checkout of the repository at the release SHA?
>>>

>> Oh wait! Is it the SHA in the file `GIT_COMMIT_ID`?
>>

> No, apparently not:
> ```
> fatal: reference is not a tree: aac18e9a08e6de9648e1a62d849dcd409f407df8
> ```
> Related : the `ANNOUNCE` file at least seems very out-of-date.

Hi Shayne,

You should find the tag on https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc, which is
now the official upstream. That being said, I am a bit
surprised that it wasn't mirrored to git.haskell.org.

Cheers,

- Ben

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 11:39 AM Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Shayne Fletcher via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 11:09 AM Shayne Fletcher <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> There doesn't seem to be a ghc-8.6.4-release tag of
>>> http://git.haskell.org/ghc.git? Can you advise me on a magic invocation
>>> that would let me get a checkout of the repository at the release SHA?

[...]
> Related : the `ANNOUNCE` file at least seems very out-of-date.

Hi Shayne,

You should find the tag on https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc, which is
now the official upstream. That being said, I am a bit
surprised that it wasn't mirrored to git.haskell.org.

Yep, thanks Ben and Matt. Got it.

That being said, I am a bit surprised that it wasn't mirrored to git.haskell.org.

Yes! Kind of worrying ... Will you be following through on that?

Cheers,

- Ben