[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.6.5-rc1 is now available

[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.6.5-rc1 is now available

Ben Gamari-3
Hello everyone,

The GHC team is proud to announce the first release candidate of 8.6.5.
The source distribution, binary distributions, and documentation are
available at

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.6.5-rc1

This release fixes a handful of issues with 8.6.4:

 - Binary distributions once again ship with Haddock documentation including
   syntax highlighted source of core libraries (#16445)

 - A build system issue where use of GCC with `-flto` broke `configure`
   was fixed (#16440)

 - An bug affecting Windows platforms wherein XMM register values could be
   mangled when entering STG has been fixed (#16514)

 - Several Windows packaging issues resulting from the recent CI rework.
   (#16408, #16398, #16516)

Since this is a relatively small bugfix release we are bypassing the
alpha releases and moving right to the release candidate stage. If all
goes well the final release will be cut next week.

As always, if anything looks amiss do let us know.

Happy testing!

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.6.5-rc1 is now available

Andrés Sicard-Ramírez-2
Hi Ben,

Using https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/8.6.5-rc1/ghc-8.6.4.20190406-x86_64-deb8-linux.tar.xz
I running as usual

$ ./configure --prefix=<some-path>
$ make install

I got the following error:

./template-haskell.cabal has been changed. Re-configuring with most recently
used options. If this fails, please run configure manually.
Configuring template-haskell-2.14.0.0...
ghc-cabal: Cannot find the program 'ghc'. User-specified path
'/builds/ghc/ghc/inplace/bin/ghc-stage1' does not refer to an executable and
the program is not on the system path.

ghc.mk:985: recipe for target 'install_packages' failed
make[1]: *** [install_packages] Error 1
Makefile:51: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 2

Best,

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 13:28, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> The GHC team is proud to announce the first release candidate of 8.6.5.
> The source distribution, binary distributions, and documentation are
> available at
>
>     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.6.5-rc1
>
> This release fixes a handful of issues with 8.6.4:
>
>  - Binary distributions once again ship with Haddock documentation including
>    syntax highlighted source of core libraries (#16445)
>
>  - A build system issue where use of GCC with `-flto` broke `configure`
>    was fixed (#16440)
>
>  - An bug affecting Windows platforms wherein XMM register values could be
>    mangled when entering STG has been fixed (#16514)
>
>  - Several Windows packaging issues resulting from the recent CI rework.
>    (#16408, #16398, #16516)
>
> Since this is a relatively small bugfix release we are bypassing the
> alpha releases and moving right to the release candidate stage. If all
> goes well the final release will be cut next week.
>
> As always, if anything looks amiss do let us know.
>
> Happy testing!
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben
> La información contenida en este correo electrónico está dirigida únicamente a su destinatario y puede contener información confidencial, material privilegiado o información protegida por derecho de autor. Está prohibida cualquier copia, utilización, indebida retención, modificación, difusión, distribución o reproducción total o parcial. Si usted recibe este mensaje por error, por favor contacte al remitente y elimínelo. La información aquí contenida es responsabilidad exclusiva de su remitente por lo tanto la Universidad EAFIT no se hace responsable de lo que el mensaje contenga. The information contained in this email is addressed to its recipient only and may contain confidential information, privileged material or information protected by copyright. Its prohibited any copy, use, improper retention, modification, dissemination, distribution or total or partial reproduction. If you receive this message by error, please contact the sender and delete it. The information contained herein is the sole responsibility of the sender therefore Universidad EAFIT is not responsible for what the message contains.

Andrés

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 13:59, Andrés Sicard-Ramírez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Using https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/8.6.5-rc1/ghc-8.6.4.20190406-x86_64-deb8-linux.tar.xz
> I running as usual
>
> $ ./configure --prefix=<some-path>
> $ make install
>
> I got the following error:
>
> ./template-haskell.cabal has been changed. Re-configuring with most recently
> used options. If this fails, please run configure manually.
> Configuring template-haskell-2.14.0.0...
> ghc-cabal: Cannot find the program 'ghc'. User-specified path
> '/builds/ghc/ghc/inplace/bin/ghc-stage1' does not refer to an executable and
> the program is not on the system path.
>
> ghc.mk:985: recipe for target 'install_packages' failed
> make[1]: *** [install_packages] Error 1
> Makefile:51: recipe for target 'install' failed
> make: *** [install] Error 2

I could install the release candidate. There was a problem with my
path. Sorry for the noise.

Best,

--
Andrés

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.6.5-rc1 is now available

Jens Petersen-4
On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 at 02:28, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The GHC team is proud to announce the first release candidate of 8.6.5.
> The source distribution, binary distributions, and documentation are
> available at
>     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.6.5-rc1

I don't see any source tarball...

Jens

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.6.5-rc1 is now available

Merijn Verstraaten
There doesn't appear to be a bindist for CentOS 7 (nor for 8.6.4, despite 8.6.3 having one).

Cheers,
Merijn

Merijn Verstraaten <[hidden email]> writes:

> There doesn't appear to be a bindist for CentOS 7 (nor for 8.6.4, despite 8.6.3 having one).

We do not yet have CI automation to produce CentOS 7 builds. I have
opened !758 fixing this.

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 at 12:54, Jens Petersen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't see any source tarball...

Okay I see one has been uploaded, thanks.

Jens

Jens Petersen <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 at 02:28, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The GHC team is proud to announce the first release candidate of 8.6.5.
>> The source distribution, binary distributions, and documentation are
>> available at
>>     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.6.5-rc1
>
> I don't see any source tarball...

Whoops, I thought I had replied to this earlier this week but it looks
like the reply never made it out. Sorry for the latency.

Indeed this was an oversight. Now fixed.

Cheers,

- Ben