Quantcast

[ANNOUNCE] GHC tarballs for Windows 10 Creators Update

[ANNOUNCE] GHC tarballs for Windows 10 Creators Update

Ben Gamari-3

Hello GHC users,

Over the next few weeks Microsoft will be pushing out an update (the
so-called Creators Update) to Windows 10 which will break the GCC
toolchain shipped with all GHC releases prior to the yet-to-be-released
8.2.1 (see Trac [1] for details).

Over the last few weeks our resident Windows expert Tamar and I have
been working on preparing a set of patched Windows tarballs with
retrofitted GCC toolchains covering GHC 7.2.1 through 8.0.2. These
tarballs are now available on downloads.haskell.org. The new tarballs
are distinguished from the original releases with a `-win10` suffix. For
instance, the 64-bit 8.0.2 binary distribution can be found at,

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.2/ghc-8.0.2-x86_64-unknown-mingw32-win10.tar.xz

Other than an updated mingw/bin/gcc.exe, these are identical to the
original releases. More details about the patched toolchain can be found
in Tamar's ghc-compat repository [2]. As always, let me know if you
encounter trouble.

Finally, we should all thank Tamar for his work on this; without his
effort GHC-on-Windows would be in a sad state indeed. Thanks Tamar!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/13411
[2] https://github.com/Mistuke/ghc-compat

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC tarballs for Windows 10 Creators Update

Niklas Larsson
Hi!

That's great! I see that the download page at http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download still links to the old tarballs for 8.0.2. Will those links be updated?

// Niklas

Niklas Larsson <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> That's great! I see that the download page at
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download still links to the old tarballs
> for 8.0.2. Will those links be updated?

Yes, they will in due time.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC tarballs for Windows 10 Creators Update

Sven Panne-2
[...} The new tarballs
are distinguished from the original releases with a `-win10` suffix. For
instance, the 64-bit 8.0.2 binary distribution can be found at,

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/8.0.2/ghc-8.0.2-x86_64-unknown-mingw32-win10.tar.xz
[...]

I heavily rely on "stack" to install GHC version, so what is the intended way of telling "stack setup" about the suffix? If I understand things correctly, "stack setup" will install non-working versions on Windows with the Creators Update.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC tarballs for Windows 10 Creators Update

Brandon Allbery

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 10:06 AM, Sven Panne <[hidden email]> wrote:
I heavily rely on "stack" to install GHC version, so what is the intended way of telling "stack setup" about the suffix? If I understand things correctly, "stack setup" will install non-working versions on Windows with the Creators Update.

the stack devs will have to figure that out, but I'm sure they do their own distribution instead of relying on an "alien" one anyway.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] GHC tarballs for Windows 10 Creators Update

Benno Fünfstück
Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> schrieb am Sa., 15. Apr. 2017 um 12:37 Uhr:
Niklas Larsson <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> That's great! I see that the download page at
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download still links to the old tarballs
> for 8.0.2. Will those links be updated?

Yes, they will in due time.

Looking at https://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_8_0_2#windows, I cannot find a GHC download compatible with the creators update. Has this been forgotten?

Kind regards,
Benno

Benno Fünfstück <[hidden email]> writes:

> Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> schrieb am Sa., 15. Apr. 2017 um 12:37 Uhr:
>
>> Niklas Larsson <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > That's great! I see that the download page at
>> > http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download still links to the old tarballs
>> > for 8.0.2. Will those links be updated?
>> >
>> Yes, they will in due time.
>>

> Looking at https://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_8_0_2#windows, I cannot
> find a GHC download compatible with the creators update. Has this been
> forgotten?

Not forgotten, just still in flight. I'll try to finish it up today.

Cheers,

- Ben