ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Judah Jacobson
On Dec 18, 2007 8:54 PM, Manuel M T Chakravarty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Judah Jacobson:
> >
> > - Statically linking against GMP puts extra license requirements on
> > any ghc-compiled program; thus, dynamic linking is preferable.
>
> Dynamic linking is preferable, because it is the simplest way to
> comply with the LGLP (specifically, Section 4(d)) in a closed-source
> program.  However, it is incorrect to say that static linking leads to
> extra license requirements.  All that is required is to enable users
> to use the program with a modified version of the GMP.  There are two
> simple ways of doing that: (a) provide access to the .o files of your
> program so that they can statically link with a different version of
> the GMP or (b) to provide a version of the program linking GMP
> dynamically alongside the statically linked version.
>
> In any case, no change of the closed-source program's licence is
> required.

Thanks for the correction and list of alternatives; both seem pretty
reasonable.  Either way, I guess you're "optimizing" for the casual
user rather than for a hacker wanting to update GMP who won't be
stopped by needing to statically link a bunch of .o files anyway.

> > - On OS X, installing new frameworks is very easy (just drag-and-drop
> > the framework into ~/Library/Frameworks or /Library/Frameworks; the
> > former doesn't even need admin privileges).  This doesn't seem like
> > much to ask of users.
>
> I think it is.  It means, Haskell programs are more hassle to install
> than, say, C programs.

That's fair, although I think it's still less hassle than, e.g.,
installing a Ruby program on OS X Panther (which required first
installing the whole of Ruby itself).

Best,
-Judah

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Manuel M T Chakravarty
Judah Jacobson:

> On Dec 18, 2007 8:54 PM, Manuel M T Chakravarty
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Judah Jacobson:
>>>
>>> - Statically linking against GMP puts extra license requirements on
>>> any ghc-compiled program; thus, dynamic linking is preferable.
>>
>> Dynamic linking is preferable, because it is the simplest way to
>> comply with the LGLP (specifically, Section 4(d)) in a closed-source
>> program.  However, it is incorrect to say that static linking leads
>> extra license requirements.  All that is required is to enable users
>> to use the program with a modified version of the GMP.  There are two
>> simple ways of doing that: (a) provide access to the .o files of your
>> program so that they can statically link with a different version of
>> the GMP or (b) to provide a version of the program linking GMP
>> dynamically alongside the statically linked version.
>>
>> In any case, no change of the closed-source program's licence is
>> required.
>
> Thanks for the correction and list of alternatives; both seem pretty
> reasonable.  Either way, I guess you're "optimizing" for the casual
> user rather than for a hacker wanting to update GMP who won't be
> stopped by needing to statically link a bunch of .o files anyway.

That's right.  Make it dead simple for the 99.999% of users who
couldn't care less about GMP as long as it does implement Haskell's
Integer nicely.  The LGPL requires use to enable the remaining 0.001%
to hack GMP to their hearts content.  We need to meet this
requirement, but these are power users who don't need the simplest
install possible.

>>> - On OS X, installing new frameworks is very easy (just drag-and-
>>> drop
>>> the framework into ~/Library/Frameworks or /Library/Frameworks; the
>>> former doesn't even need admin privileges).  This doesn't seem like
>>> much to ask of users.
>>
>> I think it is.  It means, Haskell programs are more hassle to install
>> than, say, C programs.
>
> That's fair, although I think it's still less hassle than, e.g.,
> installing a Ruby program on OS X Panther (which required first
> installing the whole of Ruby itself).

Yes, but on Leopard, Ruby is preinstalled, as is Python, and I'd like
the barrier to entry to be as low as possible.

Manuel

Re: [Haskell] Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Manuel M T Chakravarty
Jules Bean:

> Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
>> PS: Moreover, binaries produced by the above compiler will run on
>> any Leopard box.
>
> That's great news.
>
> Can you add a note about how you achieved that to

> please?
>
> My previous attempts to distribute ghc-compiled softrware to other
> mac users have always fallen foul of dependencies on gmp...

I have added some remarks to that ticket, but it really should work
out of the box now if you use my binary dist for Macs or with the HEAD.

Manuel

Re: [Haskell] Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Simon Marlow-5
Benjamin L. Russell wrote:

> This fixed the problem, and on Windows XP
> Professional, I was able to set GHCi to find .ghci in
> %HOMEPATH%, which turned out to be c:\Documents and
> Settings\<username>.
>
> However, I would like to override this setting, and
> either have GHCi look for .ghci in %HOME%, as opposed
> to %HOMEPATH% (so that this value is not automatically
> set by the OS), or to set %HOMEPATH% itself to be
> c:\home.
>
> However, when I go to the Control Panel, then to the
> System applet, then to the Advanced tab, then click on
> the Environment Variables button, and then create an
> environmental variable called "HOMEPATH" (either local
> or global), this setting does not override the default
> setting for this environmental variable, and GHCi
> still looks for .ghci in the default location
> (c:\Documents and Settings\<username>).
>
> Does anybody know how to cause GHCi to look for .ghci
> in c:\home?

Create a .ghci file in c:\Documents And Settings\<user>, with the following
contents:

:cmd readFile "c:\\home\\.ghci"

Re: [Haskell] Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Alex Jacobson
My experience with the mac stuff is that you are just better off
building everything yourself.  It runs in the background while you go
eat dinner and then you are done.

-Alex-

Hugo Pacheco wrote:

> The binaries do work in Leopard, but it misses all library files, such
> as System.IO.
> How can I build them form the sources? I have no cabal-install as well.
> and the macports 6.6 is broken.

Re: [Haskell] Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Gregory Wright-2

Hi,

On Dec 20, 2007, at 2:31 PM, Hugo Pacheco wrote:

>From the ghc-6.8.2 sources then, I'm just afraid of possible errors, and I don't have any previous ghc installed.

Do the sources permit bootstrapping? From what I know...
The source distribution needs an installed GHC (version 6.0 at least). If your platform isn't currently supported with a binary distribution, then you'll need to consult the section on Porting GHC in the Building Guide.

I'm afraid of the same error as macports 6.6.1:

configure: error: GHC is required unless bootstrapping from .hc files.

The macports 6.8.2 should be ready soon for Tiger (PPC and Intel) and Leopard (Intel only).
I have had successful builds on these platforms and the Portfile is updated.  However,
the 6.8 branch seems to have introduced a bug in file locking (#1992 in the trac) that
causes the build to fail once out of every four or five times.  This is not acceptable for
a production release, so this has to be tracked down before GHC from macports is
updated.

Sorry for the delay,
Greg

On Dec 20, 2007, at 5:30 PM, Hugo Pacheco wrote:

> But is it like days, weeks, months?
> I really need GHC installed on my intel mac w/ leopard.

The new macports ghc should be ready in days to a week, most likely.
If you want I can send you
the portfile to try, I can't guarantee it but it seems to work most of
the time.  If the build fails,
just "sudo port clean" and try again.

> How can I build the libraries in the current leopard release?

I don't understand your question.  Which libraries do you want to build?

-Greg

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Ian Lynagh
On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 12:08:50PM +1100, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:

> I wrote,
> >Ian Lynagh wrote:
> >> =============================================================
> >>  The (Interactive) Glasgow Haskell Compiler -- version 6.8.2
> >> =============================================================
> >
> >A binary distribution for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) is available from
> >
> > http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ghc-6.8.2-i386-apple-darwin.tar.bz2
>
> I just updated the binary distribution at
>
>   http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ghc-6.8.2-i386-apple-darwin.tar.bz2
>
> Ian, can you please update the binary on the download page?

Done!

Thanks
Ian

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

alpheccar-2
Was someone able to build ghc 6.8.2 on PPC with OS X 10.4 (Tiger) ?
I had no problems to build the 6.8.1 but with 6.8.2, I get the error:

../../compiler/stage1/ghc-inplace -package-name base-3.0.1.0 -hide-
all-packages -split-objs -i -idist/build/autogen -idist/build -i. -
Idist/build -Iinclude -#include "HsBase.h" -odir dist/build -hidir
dist/build -stubdir dist/build -package rts-1.0 -O -fglasgow-exts -
package-name base -XCPP -idist/build  -H16m -O -O -Rghc-timing -
fgenerics -c Data/Generics/Twins.hs -o dist/build/Data/Generics/
Twins.o  -ohi dist/build/Data/Generics/Twins.hi
ghc-6.8.2: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
   (GHC version 6.8.2 for powerpc-apple-darwin):
         lookupVers1 base:GHC.Prim sym{tc}

Please report this as a GHC bug:  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug

<<ghc: 49130112 bytes, 8 GCs, 2017280/3944448 avg/max bytes residency
(2 samples), 17M in use, 0.01 INIT (0.05 elapsed), 1.01 MUT (2.52
elapsed), 0.30 GC (3.20 elapsed) :ghc>>
make[2]: *** [dist/build/Data/Generics/Twins.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [make.library.base] Error 2
make: *** [stage1] Error 2

Thanks,
Christophe.

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Gregory Wright-2

Hi Christophe,

On Dec 23, 2007, at 11:02 AM, alpheccar wrote:

> Was someone able to build ghc 6.8.2 on PPC with OS X 10.4 (Tiger) ?
> I had no problems to build the 6.8.1 but with 6.8.2, I get the error:

I was able to build 6.8.2 three times on PPC/Tiger (10.4.11) without
error
using 6.6.1 as a boostrap compiler.  What are you using to compile
6.8.2?

> ../../compiler/stage1/ghc-inplace -package-name base-3.0.1.0 -hide-
> all-packages -split-objs -i -idist/build/autogen -idist/build -i. -
> Idist/build -Iinclude -#include "HsBase.h" -odir dist/build -hidir
> dist/build -stubdir dist/build -package rts-1.0 -O -fglasgow-exts -
> package-name base -XCPP -idist/build  -H16m -O -O -Rghc-timing -
> fgenerics -c Data/Generics/Twins.hs -o dist/build/Data/Generics/
> Twins.o  -ohi dist/build/Data/Generics/Twins.hi
> ghc-6.8.2: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
>  (GHC version 6.8.2 for powerpc-apple-darwin):
>        lookupVers1 base:GHC.Prim sym{tc}
>
> Please report this as a GHC bug:  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/
> reportabug

Best Wishes,
Greg

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

alpheccar-2
Hi Greg,

I used 6.8.1 as bootstrap. I have a 6.6.1 so I'll try again with it.
But it is good news to know that it is building on your Mac. Now I
have more hope :-)

Thanks,
Christophe.

> Hi Christophe,
>
> On Dec 23, 2007, at 11:02 AM, alpheccar wrote:
>
>> Was someone able to build ghc 6.8.2 on PPC with OS X 10.4 (Tiger) ?
>> I had no problems to build the 6.8.1 but with 6.8.2, I get the error:
>>
> I was able to build 6.8.2 three times on PPC/Tiger (10.4.11)
> without error
> using 6.6.1 as a boostrap compiler.  What are you using to compile
> 6.8.2?
>
>> ../../compiler/stage1/ghc-inplace -package-name base-3.0.1.0 -hide-
>> all-packages -split-objs -i -idist/build/autogen -idist/build -i. -
>> Idist/build -Iinclude -#include "HsBase.h" -odir dist/build -hidir
>> dist/build -stubdir dist/build -package rts-1.0 -O -fglasgow-exts -
>> package-name base -XCPP -idist/build  -H16m -O -O -Rghc-timing -
>> fgenerics -c Data/Generics/Twins.hs -o dist/build/Data/Generics/
>> Twins.o  -ohi dist/build/Data/Generics/Twins.hi
>> ghc-6.8.2: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
>>  (GHC version 6.8.2 for powerpc-apple-darwin):
>>        lookupVers1 base:GHC.Prim sym{tc}
>>
>> Please report this as a GHC bug:  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/
>> reportabug
>>

> Best Wishes,
> Greg

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Simon Marlow-5
alpheccar wrote:

> Was someone able to build ghc 6.8.2 on PPC with OS X 10.4 (Tiger) ?
> I had no problems to build the 6.8.1 but with 6.8.2, I get the error:
>
> ../../compiler/stage1/ghc-inplace -package-name base-3.0.1.0
> -hide-all-packages -split-objs -i -idist/build/autogen -idist/build -i.
> -Idist/build -Iinclude -#include "HsBase.h" -odir dist/build -hidir
> dist/build -stubdir dist/build -package rts-1.0 -O -fglasgow-exts
> -package-name base -XCPP -idist/build  -H16m -O -O -Rghc-timing
> -fgenerics -c Data/Generics/Twins.hs -o
> dist/build/Data/Generics/Twins.o  -ohi dist/build/Data/Generics/Twins.hi
> ghc-6.8.2: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
>   (GHC version 6.8.2 for powerpc-apple-darwin):
>         lookupVers1 base:GHC.Prim sym{tc}

This is a new bug in 6.8.2 that we discovered just before Christmas:

the workaround is simple: just make clean in libraries/base.