ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.8.4

Austin Seipp-5
    The (Interactive) Glasgow Haskell Compiler -- version 7.8.4

The GHC Team is pleased to announce a new patchlevel release of GHC, 7.8.4.

This is an important bugfix release relative to 7.8.3 (with over 30
defects fixed), so we highly recommend upgrading from the previous 7.8
releases.

The full release notes are here:

  https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.8.4/docs/html/users_guide/release-7-8-4.html

How to get it
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The easy way is to go to the web page, which should be self-explanatory:

        https://www.haskell.org/ghc/

We supply binary builds in the native package format for many
platforms, and the source distribution is available from the same
place.

Packages will appear as they are built - if the package for your
system isn't available yet, please try again later.

Background
~~~~~~~~~~

Haskell is a standard lazy functional programming language.

GHC is a state-of-the-art programming suite for Haskell.  Included is
an optimising compiler generating good code for a variety of
platforms, together with an interactive system for convenient, quick
development.  The distribution includes space and time profiling
facilities, a large collection of libraries, and support for various
language extensions, including concurrency, exceptions, and foreign
language interfaces (C, whatever).  GHC is distributed under a
BSD-style open source license.

A wide variety of Haskell related resources (tutorials, libraries,
specifications, documentation, compilers, interpreters, references,
contact information, links to research groups) are available from the
Haskell home page (see below).

On-line GHC-related resources
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Relevant URLs on the World-Wide Web:

GHC home page              http://www.haskell.org/ghc/
GHC developers' home page  http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/
Haskell home page          http://www.haskell.org/

Supported Platforms
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The list of platforms we support, and the people responsible for them,
is here:

   http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Platforms
   http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/CodeOwners

Ports to other platforms are possible with varying degrees of
difficulty.  The Building Guide describes how to go about porting to a
new platform:

    http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building

Developers
~~~~~~~~~~

We welcome new contributors.  Instructions on accessing our source
code repository, and getting started with hacking on GHC, are
available from the GHC's developer's site run by Trac:

  http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/

Mailing lists

Some GHC developers hang out on #haskell on IRC, too:

    http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/IRC_channel

Please report bugs using our bug tracking system.  Instructions on
reporting bugs can be found here:

    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug

Hashes & Signatures
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.8.4/ you will find a signed
copy of the SHA256 hashes for the tarballs, using my GPG key (keyid
0x3B58D86F).

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.8.4

Carter Schonwald
Heres a OS X build that should work with >= 10.7

and the sha 512
shasum -a512 ghc-7.8.4-x86_64-apple-darwin.tar.bz2
c6e76a2cd7ec7820d071ef1f417981845bb86c4c8337a57431136a375cbd0695fe810ec10963109ab1971d1a0ab80318c62d71b95eddb5657800cac296a260bd  ghc-7.8.4-x86_64-apple-darwin.tar.bz2

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 8:12 AM, Austin Seipp <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

sure, please verify first.  (also make sure haddock etc works for you, i had to remove a haddock binary from ~/.cabal/bin before haddocks were building correctly for me)

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Alfredo Di Napoli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Carter!

I have just asked basically about it on Reddit, in the announce thread.
I'll give it a spin, and if it works I will share the link (if you are ok with that!) on the
same Reddit post.

Alfredo

On Tuesday, 23 December 2014, Carter Schonwald <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> Supported Platforms
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> The list of platforms we support, and the people responsible for them,
> is here:
>
>    http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Platforms
>    http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/CodeOwners
>
> Ports to other platforms are possible with varying degrees of
> difficulty.  The Building Guide describes how to go about porting to a
> new platform:
>
>     http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building
>

> Developers
> ~~~~~~~~~~
>
> We welcome new contributors.  Instructions on accessing our source
> code repository, and getting started with hacking on GHC, are
> available from the GHC's developer's site run by Trac:
>
>   http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/
>

> Mailing lists

> Some GHC developers hang out on #haskell on IRC, too:

Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 7.8.4

Jens Petersen-2
The GHC Team is pleased to announce a new patchlevel release of GHC, 7.8.4.

Thanks, I created a Fedora Copr repo with 7.8.4:

 http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/petersen/ghc-7.8.4/

it has builds for current Fedora releases and EPEL 7.

Cheers, Jens