[ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler 8.10.1 released

[ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler 8.10.1 released

Ben Gamari-3

Hello all,

The GHC team is happy to announce the availability of GHC 8.10.1. Source
and binary distributions are available at the usual place:

    https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/8.10.1/

GHC 8.10.1 brings a number of new features including:

 * The new UnliftedNewtypes extension allowing newtypes around unlifted
   types.

 * The new StandaloneKindSignatures extension allows users to give
   top-level kind signatures to type, type family, and class
   declarations.

 * A new warning, -Wderiving-defaults, to draw attention to ambiguous
   deriving clauses

 * A number of improvements in code generation, including changes

 * A new GHCi command, :instances, for listing the class instances
   available for a type.

 * An upgraded Windows toolchain lifting the MAX_PATH limitation

 * A new, low-latency garbage collector.

 * Improved support profiling, including support for sending profiler
   samples to the eventlog, allowing correlation between the profile and
   other program events

Note that at the moment we still require that macOS Catalina users
exempt the binary distribution from the notarization requirement by
running `xattr -cr .` on the unpacked tree before running `make install`.
This situation will hopefully be improved for GHC 8.10.2 with the
resolution of #17418 [1].

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/issues/17418

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler 8.10.1 released

Ben Gamari-3
Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> The GHC team is happy to announce the availability of GHC 8.10.1. Source
> and binary distributions are available at the usual place:
>
>     https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/8.10.1/

Note that the release notes can be found here:

    https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/8.10.1/docs/html/users_guide/8.10.1-notes.html

Further, the migration guide can be found here:

    https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/migration/8.10

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler 8.10.1 released

Jens Petersen-4
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 at 23:04, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
The GHC team is happy to announce the availability of GHC 8.10.1.

In Fedora 31 and above it can be now installed with

   sudo dnf module install ghc:8.10

Thanks, Jens

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler 8.10.1 released

Jens Petersen-4
Hi, late question, I just noticed:

Is it intentional that the text library in 8.10.1 is older than the one in 8.8?

Thanks, Jens