[ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

[ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

Ben Gamari-3

Hello everyone,

We are pleased to announce the release of GHC 7.10.3:

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3/

There can be found source tarballs and binary distributions for 64-bit and 32-bit
modern Linux (GMP 5.0 or later), CentOS (GMP 4.0), Windows, and 64-bit
Mac OS X platforms. These binaries and tarballs have an accompanying
SHA256SUMS file signed by my GPG key id (0x97DB64AD). Significant
fixes in release include changes to the simplifier's treatment of
rules, the handling of Mac OS X frameworks, and support for response
files to work around the restrictive command line length limit on
Windows. As always, a full accounting of the changes present in this
release can be found in the release notes [1].

The previous release, 7.10.2, was well-behaved save a couple notable
bugs; while we have merged a good number of bug fixes in 7.10.3 they
were were largely low risk and so we expect that this release should be
similiarly stable.

A notable exception is the upgrade of the Windows compiler toolchain to
GCC 5.2. Typically we would refrain from making such large changes in a
point release but Windows users have been long suffering at the hand of
the old toolchain (e.g. lack of response file support, #8596, and lack
of SEH support). We expect that this change should fix far more than
breaks.

Unfortunately, due to some oversights in the release process there are
two source tarballs for this release. The first,
ghc-7.10.3-src.tar.{bz2,xz}, does not include the release notes in the
users guide. This is fixed in the second patchlevel release,
ghc-7.10.3a-src.tar.{bz2,xz}. It is recommended that users wanting a
source release use the ghc-7.10.3a-src tarballs.

GHC 7.10.3 will very likely be the last release in the GHC 7 series. In
the coming weeks we will be beginning the release process for GHC 8.0,
which will include a number of exciting features including the merger of
kinds with types, injective type families, imporved DWARF debugging
information, applicative-do syntax, a Strict language extension synonyms
mechanism, and more. See the GHC 8.0.1 status page for details [2].

Happy compiling!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3/docs/html/users_guide//release-7-10-3.html
[2] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.0.1

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

Jonathon Delgado
Towards the end of http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3/docs/html/users_guide//release-7-10-3.html:

1.7.3. Known bugs
    At the time of release there is a fix in the Cabal upstream respository, although it is not yet present in a release.

"fix" is hyperlinked to itself, and it doesn't say what the fix is for.

Jeremy <[hidden email]> writes:

> Towards the end of
> http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3/docs/html/users_guide//release-7-10-3.html:
>
> 1.7.3. Known bugs
>     At the time of release there is a fix in the Cabal upstream respository,
> although it is not yet present in a release.
>
> "fix" is hyperlinked to itself, and it doesn't say what the fix is for.

Yes, indeed; this remark no longer applies but sadly made it into the
release notes. I'm working on fixing this (which unfortunately means
we will have a 7.10.3b).

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

Joachim Breitner-2

Am Mittwoch, den 09.12.2015, 06:51 -0700 schrieb Jeremy:
> "fix" is hyperlinked to itself, and it doesn't say what the fix is
> for.

that is intended. fix is inherent self-referential, and furthermore
polymorphic.

Greetings,
Joachim

PS: SCNR

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  [hidden email]http://www.joachim-breitner.de/

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

Felipe Lessa
On 09-12-2015 12:28, Joachim Breitner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 09.12.2015, 06:51 -0700 schrieb Jeremy:
>> "fix" is hyperlinked to itself, and it doesn't say what the fix is
>> for.
>
> that is intended. fix is inherent self-referential, and furthermore
> polymorphic.
>
> Greetings,
> Joachim
>
> PS: SCNR
Took me a good while to fully comprehend this joke :).  I wonder if it
was intended by the author of that line.

Felipe.

Re: [Haskell-cafe] [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

Ben Gamari-3
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 9 December 2015 at 23:17, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> [1] http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3/docs/html/users_guide//release-7-10-3.html
>
> The links to Trac issues in that page seem to redirect to the same page.

Indeed, I'm trying to work out what went wrong here.

I am quite looking forward to being able to drop DocBook in 8.0.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

Jens Petersen-4
On 9 December 2015 at 21:17, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are pleased to announce the release of GHC 7.10.3

Awesome, thank you!

I have build it for Fedora and RHEL/CentOS in my Fedora Copr repo:

  https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/petersen/ghc-7.10.3

The repos also include cabal-install.

Cheers, Jens