[ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

[ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

Ben Gamari-3

Hello everyone,

We are pleased to announce the release of GHC 7.10.3:

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3/

There can be found source tarballs and binary distributions for 64-bit and 32-bit
modern Linux (GMP 5.0 or later), CentOS (GMP 4.0), Windows, and 64-bit
Mac OS X platforms. These binaries and tarballs have an accompanying
SHA256SUMS file signed by my GPG key id (0x97DB64AD). Significant
fixes in release include changes to the simplifier's treatment of
rules, the handling of Mac OS X frameworks, and support for response
files to work around the restrictive command line length limit on
Windows. As always, a full accounting of the changes present in this
release can be found in the release notes [1].

The previous release, 7.10.2, was well-behaved save a couple notable
bugs; while we have merged a good number of bug fixes in 7.10.3 they
were were largely low risk and so we expect that this release should be
similiarly stable.

A notable exception is the upgrade of the Windows compiler toolchain to
GCC 5.2. Typically we would refrain from making such large changes in a
point release but Windows users have been long suffering at the hand of
the old toolchain (e.g. lack of response file support, #8596, and lack
of SEH support). We expect that this change should fix far more than
breaks.

Unfortunately, due to some oversights in the release process there are
two source tarballs for this release. The first,
ghc-7.10.3-src.tar.{bz2,xz}, does not include the release notes in the
users guide. This is fixed in the second patchlevel release,
ghc-7.10.3a-src.tar.{bz2,xz}. It is recommended that users wanting a
source release use the ghc-7.10.3a-src tarballs.

GHC 7.10.3 will very likely be the last release in the GHC 7 series. In
the coming weeks we will be beginning the release process for GHC 8.0,
which will include a number of exciting features including the merger of
kinds with types, injective type families, imporved DWARF debugging
information, applicative-do syntax, a Strict language extension synonyms
mechanism, and more. See the GHC 8.0.1 status page for details [2].

Happy compiling!

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3/docs/html/users_guide//release-7-10-3.html
[2] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.0.1

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
On 9 December 2015 at 23:17, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> We are pleased to announce the release of GHC 7.10.3:
>
>     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3/
>
> There can be found source tarballs and binary distributions for 64-bit and 32-bit
> modern Linux (GMP 5.0 or later), CentOS (GMP 4.0), Windows, and 64-bit
> Mac OS X platforms. These binaries and tarballs have an accompanying
> SHA256SUMS file signed by my GPG key id (0x97DB64AD). Significant
> fixes in release include changes to the simplifier's treatment of
> rules, the handling of Mac OS X frameworks, and support for response
> files to work around the restrictive command line length limit on
> Windows. As always, a full accounting of the changes present in this
> release can be found in the release notes [1].
>
> The previous release, 7.10.2, was well-behaved save a couple notable
> bugs; while we have merged a good number of bug fixes in 7.10.3 they
> were were largely low risk and so we expect that this release should be
> similiarly stable.
>
> A notable exception is the upgrade of the Windows compiler toolchain to
> GCC 5.2. Typically we would refrain from making such large changes in a
> point release but Windows users have been long suffering at the hand of
> the old toolchain (e.g. lack of response file support, #8596, and lack
> of SEH support). We expect that this change should fix far more than
> breaks.
>
> Unfortunately, due to some oversights in the release process there are
> two source tarballs for this release. The first,
> ghc-7.10.3-src.tar.{bz2,xz}, does not include the release notes in the
> users guide. This is fixed in the second patchlevel release,
> ghc-7.10.3a-src.tar.{bz2,xz}. It is recommended that users wanting a
> source release use the ghc-7.10.3a-src tarballs.
>
> GHC 7.10.3 will very likely be the last release in the GHC 7 series. In
> the coming weeks we will be beginning the release process for GHC 8.0,
> which will include a number of exciting features including the merger of
> kinds with types, injective type families, imporved DWARF debugging
> information, applicative-do syntax, a Strict language extension synonyms
> mechanism, and more. See the GHC 8.0.1 status page for details [2].
>
> Happy compiling!
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben
>

> [1] http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3/docs/html/users_guide//release-7-10-3.html

The links to Trac issues in that page seem to redirect to the same page.

> [2] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-8.0.1

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
[hidden email]
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 9 December 2015 at 23:17, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> [1] http://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3/docs/html/users_guide//release-7-10-3.html
>
> The links to Trac issues in that page seem to redirect to the same page.

Indeed, I'm trying to work out what went wrong here.

I am quite looking forward to being able to drop DocBook in 8.0.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

Magnus Therning

Ben Gamari writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> We are pleased to announce the release of GHC 7.10.3:
>
>     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10.3/
>
> Unfortunately, due to some oversights in the release process there are
> two source tarballs for this release. The first,
> ghc-7.10.3-src.tar.{bz2,xz}, does not include the release notes in the
> users guide. This is fixed in the second patchlevel release,
> ghc-7.10.3a-src.tar.{bz2,xz}. It is recommended that users wanting a
> source release use the ghc-7.10.3a-src tarballs.
I don't see any ghc-7.10.3a-src.tar.{bz2,xz} there.

Also, https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/7.10-latest/ seems to still
point to 7.10.2.

/M

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: [hidden email]   jabber: [hidden email]

If voting could really change things it would be illegal.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

Jens Petersen-4
On 9 December 2015 at 21:17, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are pleased to announce the release of GHC 7.10.3

Awesome, thank you!

I have build it for Fedora and RHEL/CentOS in my Fedora Copr repo:

  https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/petersen/ghc-7.10.3

The repos also include cabal-install.

Cheers, Jens

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

Joachim Durchholz
Am 09.12.2015 um 21:23 schrieb Ben Gamari:
> I am quite looking forward to being able to drop DocBook in 8.0.

What's going to be the replacement?
Just curious, because I need to decide on a publishing toolchain for my
own project.

Regards,
Jo

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

Jonathon Delgado
https://www.haskell.org/ghc/download still lists 7.10.3 as the current release.

Joachim Durchholz <[hidden email]> writes:

> Am 09.12.2015 um 21:23 schrieb Ben Gamari:
>> I am quite looking forward to being able to drop DocBook in 8.0.
>
> What's going to be the replacement?
> Just curious, because I need to decide on a publishing toolchain for my
> own project.

We have moved the users guide to ReStructuredText, which is built with
Sphinx. I'm quite pleased with how the transition has gone.

Cheers,

- Ben

Am 10.12.2015 um 09:26 schrieb Ben Gamari:
> We have moved the users guide to ReStructuredText, which is built with
> Sphinx. I'm quite pleased with how the transition has gone.

Heh. I can imagine; Sphinx seems to be the doc toolchain tool du jour, I
was just curious about the reasons and how the differences work out.

Regards,
Jo

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

Ben Gamari-2
Joachim Durchholz <[hidden email]> writes:

> Am 10.12.2015 um 09:26 schrieb Ben Gamari:
>> We have moved the users guide to ReStructuredText, which is built with
>> Sphinx. I'm quite pleased with how the transition has gone.
>
> Heh. I can imagine; Sphinx seems to be the doc toolchain tool du jour, I
> was just curious about the reasons and how the differences work out.

I wrote up a brief description of the motivations and the options we
evaluated on the Wiki [1].

In short, I found there weren't too many options which had flexible
enough markup, could scale to something the size of the Users Guide, and
didn't impose onerous dependencies. Ultimately the two realistic options
were asciidoc and ReST. While an initial poll of ghc-devs found a slight
preference for asciidoc, my preliminary attempts to port the users guide
quickly encountered resistance from asciidoc's syntax.

In short, asciidoc constructs just don't compose very well: while all
lightweight markup languages have their limitations, I found that I ran
into asciidoc's very quickly, particularly when nesting block items
(e.g. a code block inside a list item). Due to how asciidoc's
continuation syntax works I found that the local structure of the
document would have wide-spread effects on how the rest of the document
would need to be marked-up.

After seeing asciidoc fail so badly, I was reluctant to even try ReST,
assuming it would meet a similar fate. Thankfully I decided to try
running a couple chapters through Pandoc and was pleasantly surprised by
the output. While Pandoc's output wasn't perfect (e.g. there is no
support of index terms), it was obvious that ReST was capable of
conveniently representing most of the document and did not exhibit the
same syntactic papercuts I saw with Asciidoc. In the end I was able to
modify Pandoc to mechanically produce reasonable ReST output for the
majority of the user's guide.

ReST does have its limitations however and we ended up sacrificing in
some areas in the name of more readable markup. Most notably, inline
objects cannot be nested in ReST. This means that constructions like,

    <screen>
    </screen>

become impossible to express. In the end I settled for an approximation
representing <replacable> tags with ⟨ ⟩ symbols.

Anyways, on the whole I think the trade-off was well worthwhile. The
syntax is substantially more readable, the output is more appealing, and
the tooling is orders of magnitude better.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/UsersGuide/MoveFromDocBook

Am 10.12.2015 um 10:51 schrieb Ben Gamari:
> [1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/UsersGuide/MoveFromDocBook

Aaah... thanks, that was exactly what I was interested in.

Regards,
Jo

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

Geraldus

In case this will be helpfull for someone here [1] is my Docker
file for building GHC-7.10.3 on Debian Wheezy from sources, also
here is the image itself [2].  Note, Docker Hub shows that image
size is 1Gb, however running `docker images` locally shows me
6.354 GB.  I tried to make some cleanup but my docker skills are
quite weak, so I will be happy if anyone can teach me how to
reduce image size.

Regards!

webdriver and click via executeJS

Denis Shevchenko
Hi there!

I use `webdriver` package for test automation with PhantomJS. And I need to click some button, but not with a `click` function, but with a native JS. I see a special function for such a task, `executeJS`, in the module `Test.WebDriver.Commands`. So this is my code:

    button <- findElement . ById $ "clearCart"
    info <- elemInfo button
    executeJS [JSArg info] "arguments[0].click();"

But I got a runtime error:

BadJSON "when expecting a (), encountered Null instead"

How can I fix it?

- Denis

Re: webdriver and click via executeJS

John Lenz-2
I have this problem all the time and it is pretty anoying. The problem is in parsing the return value. The javascript is returning null but the executeJS is returning `()`.  The aeson instance for `()` does not parse null.  What I do is something like

someOper :: WD ()
    ret <- executeJS [...] "...]
    maybe (return ()) return ret -- parse value from executeJS as Maybe ()

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Denis Shevchenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there!

I use `webdriver` package for test automation with PhantomJS. And I need to click some button, but not with a `click` function, but with a native JS. I see a special function for such a task, `executeJS`, in the module `Test.WebDriver.Commands`. So this is my code:

    button <- findElement . ById $ "clearCart"
    info <- elemInfo button
    executeJS [JSArg info] "arguments[0].click();"

But I got a runtime error:

BadJSON "when expecting a (), encountered Null instead"

How can I fix it?

- Denis

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Glasgow Haskell Compiler version 7.10.3

Jason Dagit-3

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Geraldus <[hidden email]> wrote:

In case this will be helpfull for someone here [1] is my Docker
file for building GHC-7.10.3 on Debian Wheezy from sources, also
here is the image itself [2].  Note, Docker Hub shows that image
size is 1Gb, however running `docker images` locally shows me
6.354 GB.  I tried to make some cleanup but my docker skills are
quite weak, so I will be happy if anyone can teach me how to
reduce image size.

For the Haskell Platform I did the build on Debian Jessie using docker. I haven't tried to share the images, but I worked from these notes: https://github.com/haskell/haskell-platform/blob/master/notes/building-ghc-docker

That was the first time I ever used docker. Perhaps in the future we can combine efforts to reduce duplication? I've been trying to figure out if we can use this setup to cross compile a 32bit build as well, but it seems like 32bit containers are not supported. I think for a cross compile that true 32bit support is unnecessary so I'm not quite ready to give up on the idea.

Thanks,
Jason