ANNOUNCE: Palindromes 0.1

Johan Jeuring
Palindromes

Palindromes is a package for finding palindromes in files.

Visit the homepage

   http://www.jeuring.net/Palindromes/

Features
--------

The primary features of Palindromes include:

*  Linear-time algorithm for finding exact palindromes
*  Linear-time algorithm for finding text palindromes,
    ignoring spaces, case of characters, and punctuation
    symbols.

Requirements
------------

Palindromes has the following requirements:

*  GHC version 6.8.1 or later - It has been tested with version 6.10.1.
*  Cabal library version 1.2.1 or later - It has been tested with
version
            1.6.0.1.

Download & Installation
-----------------------

* Use cabal-install

     cabal install palindromes

* If you don't have cabal-install, you must download the Palindromes
package
from HackageDB and install it manually. Get the `tar.gz` file and
decompress it.

   http://hackage.haskell.org/package/palindromes

Once downloaded, use the following commands for configuring, building,
and
installing the library.

     runghc Setup.lhs configure
     runghc Setup.lhs build
     runghc Setup.lhs install

* Get the source:

   svn checkout https://subversion.cs.uu.nl/repos/staff.johanj.palindromes/

Documentation
-------------

The API is documented using Haddock and available on the Palindromes
package
site.

Examples
--------

You can find example palindromes, on which Palindromes has been
tested, in the
`examples` directory of the source distribution.

   https://subversion.cs.uu.nl/repos/staff.johanj.palindromes/trunk/examples/palindromes

Bugs & Support
--------------

To report bugs, use the Google Code project page for Palindromes.

   http://code.google.com/p/palindromes/

For general concerns and questions, email the author:

   johan at jeuring.net

Licensing
---------

Palindromes is licensed under the so-called BSD3 license. See the
included
`LICENSE` file.

Credits
-------

Palindromes is based on the functional program developed by Johan
Jeuring in
his PhD thesis.

The current author and maintainer of Palindromes is Johan Jeuring.

    http://www.jeuring.net/

Re: ANNOUNCE: Palindromes 0.1

Rafael Almeida
Johan Jeuring wrote:
> Palindromes
>
> Palindromes is a package for finding palindromes in files.
>
> Visit the homepage
>
>   http://www.jeuring.net/Palindromes/

A few options are not working well:
$ ./palindromes --h
*********************
* Palindrome Finder *
*********************
palindromes: --h: openFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)
$ cat f
socorram-me subi no onibus em marrocos
$ ./palindromes -tl f
*********************
* Palindrome Finder *
*********************
Usage:

    palindrome [command-line-options] input-file

The following options are available:
  --h: This message
  -p : Print the longest palindrome (default)
  -ps: Print the longest palindrome around each position in the input
  -l : Print the length of the longest palindrome
  -ls: Print the length of the longest palindrome around each position
in the input
  -t : Print the longest palindrome ignoring case, spacing and punctuation
  -tl: Print the length of the longest text palindrome
$

Re: ANNOUNCE: Palindromes 0.1

Johan Jeuring
On 07 Sep 2009, at 21:21, Rafael Cunha de Almeida wrote:

> Johan Jeuring wrote:
>> Palindromes
>>
>> Palindromes is a package for finding palindromes in files.
>>
>> Visit the homepage
>>
>> http://www.jeuring.net/Palindromes/
>>

> A few options are not working well:

Thanks. Both errors have been corrected in version 0.1.1.
And I moved it from category Algorithm to category Algorithms.

-- Johan

> $ ./palindromes --h
> *********************
> * Palindrome Finder *
> *********************
> palindromes: --h: openFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)
> $ cat f
> socorram-me subi no onibus em marrocos
> $ ./palindromes -tl f
> *********************
> * Palindrome Finder *
> *********************
> Usage:
>
>   palindrome [command-line-options] input-file
>
> The following options are available:
> --h: This message
> -p : Print the longest palindrome (default)
> -ps: Print the longest palindrome around each position in the input
> -l : Print the length of the longest palindrome
> -ls: Print the length of the longest palindrome around each position
> in the input
> -t : Print the longest palindrome ignoring case, spacing and
> punctuation
> -tl: Print the length of the longest text palindrome
> $

Re: ANNOUNCE: Palindromes 0.1

Henning Thielemann

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009, Johan Jeuring wrote:

> The primary features of Palindromes include:
>
> *  Linear-time algorithm for finding exact palindromes
> *  Linear-time algorithm for finding text palindromes,
>  ignoring spaces, case of characters, and punctuation
>  symbols.

  You made me curious, whether there are palindromes in my texts. However,
I have some difficulties getting sensible results from it. First I found a
long palindrome, that was actually a code example for an array definition.
So I wondered, whether this palindrome shadows nicer shorter palindromes
in the same text. How about an option for showing the n longest
palindromes or palindromes with length larger than n? Then I found a
palindrome in
   Functi[on sin is no]t defined
  How about restricting text palindromes to sequences that are bounded by
space and punctuation? The Palindrome welcome message is a bit disturbing
when running palindrome on a set of files. I also like to filter out HTML
markup (with strip-html from tagchup package), before piping into
palindrome. This however would require to run palindrome on standard
input. The options are '-x' for a single answer and '-xs' for multiple
answers, but for '-ts' this logic does not hold. How about '-lt' or '-tl'
? I would like to have '-ts' to print all text palindromes (or actually, I
would like to get all palindromes with at least 5 characters).

> Documentation
> -------------
>
> The API is documented using Haddock and available on the Palindromes package
> site.

It says, that the executable is FindingPalindromes, but actually it is
palindromes, right?

Pretty much suggestions, I know. Don't get worried and thank you for the
program!

Re: ANNOUNCE: Palindromes 0.1

Johan Jeuring
Hi Henning,

Thanks for the many suggestions.

> On Sun, 6 Sep 2009, Johan Jeuring wrote:
>
>> The primary features of Palindromes include:
>>
>> *  Linear-time algorithm for finding exact palindromes
>> *  Linear-time algorithm for finding text palindromes,
>> ignoring spaces, case of characters, and punctuation
>> symbols.
>
> You made me curious, whether there are palindromes in my texts.
> However, I have some difficulties getting sensible results from it.
> First I found a long palindrome, that was actually a code example
> for an array definition.

This was using the option -t I suppose.

> So I wondered, whether this palindrome shadows nicer shorter
> palindromes in the same text.

Indeed it might. By using -ts you will get all text palindromes around
every position in the string, but I guess you found this option (the
description of which was not correct, as you noticed). But on a long
text you get (probably too) many results.

> How about an option for showing the n longest palindromes or
> palindromes with length larger than n?

This makes sense. I will add an option -n which takes a number n and
outputs all palindromes of length at least n.

> Then I found a palindrome in
>  Functi[on sin is no]t defined
> How about restricting text palindromes to sequences that are bounded
> by space and punctuation?

This makes sense as well.

> The Palindrome welcome message is a bit disturbing when running
> palindrome on a set of files.

I see. I'll remove it.

> I also like to filter out HTML markup (with strip-html from tagchup
> package), before piping into palindrome. This however would require
> to run palindrome on standard input.

Again, this makes sense.

> The options are '-x' for a single answer and '-xs' for multiple
> answers, but for '-ts' this logic does not hold. How about '-lt' or
> '-tl' ? I would like to have '-ts' to print all text palindromes (or
> actually, I would like to get all palindromes with at least 5
> characters).

Corrected.

>> Documentation
>> -------------
>>
>> The API is documented using Haddock and available on the
>> Palindromes package
>> site.
>
> It says, that the executable is FindingPalindromes, but actually it
> is palindromes, right?

Right.

> Pretty much suggestions, I know. Don't get worried and thank you for
> the program!

You're welcome, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to upload a new
version of palindromes that includes your suggestions in the next
couple of weeks.

-- Johan