ANNOUNCE: uuid-1.2.6

Antoine Latter-2
Hi folks,

I'm happy to announce a new point release of the uuid library, 1.2.6:

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/uuid-1.2.6

The 'uuid' package implements most of RFC 4122[1] including random
generation and generation based on hardware MAC addresses.

I haven't announced a point-release in a while. The changes since 1.2.1 include:

* When generating UUIDs from the hardware MAC address, if the MAC
address is not available we now use a random seed for our (hidden,
global) state machine

* The 'Read' instance now drops leading spaces

* Added the functions 'toWords' and 'fromWords', primary to support
the package uuid-quasi[2].

Take care,
Antoine

1: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4122
2: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/uuid-quasi

Re: ANNOUNCE: uuid-1.2.6

David Fox-7
I was wondering about this:

  -- My goal with this instance was to make it work just enough to do what
  -- I want when used with the HStringTemplate library.
  instance Data UUID where
      toConstr uu  = mkConstr uuidType (show uu) [] (error "fixity")
      gunfold _ _  = error "gunfold"
      dataTypeOf _ = uuidType

Is there any reason not to just say "deriving Data" in the type declaration?

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 12:30 AM, David Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was wondering about this:
>
>   -- My goal with this instance was to make it work just enough to do what
>   -- I want when used with the HStringTemplate library.
>   instance Data UUID where
>       toConstr uu  = mkConstr uuidType (show uu) [] (error "fixity")
>       gunfold _ _  = error "gunfold"
>       dataTypeOf _ = uuidType
>
> Is there any reason not to just say "deriving Data" in the type declaration?

I didn't want my 'Data' instance to leak the details of the
constructor. Also I don't know much about how 'Data' works.

I think a similar conversation is going on about the Data declarations
in the 'containers' library.

Antoine