ANNOUNCE: wxHaskell 0.10.3 rc1

Jeremy O'Donoghue
We are pleased to announce the first release candidate of wxHaskell
0.10.3.

This is the first update with binary packages available since June 2005,
and is the result of a great deal of work by a new team of contributors.

We are hoping to make a full release shortly, and issues and bug reports
either through the wxHaskell user mailing list
([hidden email]) or via the Sourceforge bug tracker
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=73133&atid=536845).

Highlights of 0.10.3 rc1 include:

- Support for Unicode builds of wxWidgets
- Support for additional widgets including calendar, toolbar divider,
styled text control (wxScintilla), media control
- Support for clipboard, drag and drop
- Support for 64bit (Linux) targets
- Support for wxWidgets 2.6.x (support for wxWidgets 2.4.2 retained if
you compile from source)
- Support for building with GHC 6.6.x and 6.8.x
- Parts of wxHaskell are now built with Cabal
- New test cases
- Removed support GHC version < 6.4
- Profiling support
- Smaller generated binary sizes (using --split-objs)

Binary packages are available from the wxHaskell download site at
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=73133, for the
following platforms:

- Debian
- Windows
- OS X (Intel and PPC platforms)
- Source code .tar.gz and .zip
- Documentation (cross-platform)

About wxHaskell

wxHaskell is a Haskell binding to the wxWidgets GUI library. It provides
a native look and feel on Windows, OS X and Linux, and a medium level
programming interface.

The main project page for wxHaskell is at
http://wxhaskell.sourceforge.net.
The latest source code for wxHaskell can always be obtained from
http://darcs.haskell.org/wxhaskell.
There are developer ([hidden email] and user
([hidden email]) mailing lists, and a wiki page
at http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/WxHaskell which can provide more
information to those interested.

wxHaskell was originally created by Daan Leijen. The contributors to
this new release include:

- Eric Kow
- shelarcy
- Arie Middelkoop
- Mads Lindstroem
- Jeremy O'Donoghue
- Lennart Augustson
--
  Jeremy O'Donoghue

RE: ANNOUNCE: wxHaskell 0.10.3 rc1

Simon Peyton Jones
Congratulations!  wxHaskell is v cool but was suffering from lack of loving care. I'm delighted that it not only has a new team, but that you've pushed through to delivering a release.  Brilliant.

Simon

Don Stewart-2
I created a summer of code ticket for generic wxHaskell work,

    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/1550

Perhaps the wxhaskell team would like to fill this out, and perhaps
approach the wxWidgets SoC organisation, to see if work on wxHaskell
could be funded under their umbrella?

simonpj:

> Congratulations!  wxHaskell is v cool but was suffering from lack of loving care. I'm delighted that it not only has a new team, but that you've pushed through to delivering a release.  Brilliant.
>
> Simon

Re: [wxhaskell-users] ANNOUNCE: wxHaskell 0.10.3 rc1

Eric Kow
On 20/03/2008, Don Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I created a summer of code ticket for generic wxHaskell work,
>
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/1550
>
>  Perhaps the wxhaskell team would like to fill this out, and perhaps
>  approach the wxWidgets SoC organisation, to see if work on wxHaskell
>  could be funded under their umbrella?

Thanks, Don!  I have updated the ticket with some ideas from the
mailing list discussions on the matter.

Anybody else from the team have something to add?

Users?  Potential users?

By the way, we do have a potential mentor lined up, this being Kido
Takahiro (shelarcy)

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9

Re: ANNOUNCE: wxHaskell 0.10.3 rc1

Andrew Coppin
Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> Congratulations!  wxHaskell is v cool but was suffering from lack of loving care. I'm delighted that it not only has a new team, but that you've pushed through to delivering a release.  Brilliant.

Yeah, I thought wxHaskell was long since dead. Then I come back after a
couple of weeks and find there's a new RC. I've never used wx before,
but hopefully this might eventually enable me to build Windows apps that
have a native look and feel, and don't require the GTK runtime [which is
very uncommon on that platform].

bf3

RE: ANNOUNCE: wxHaskell 0.10.3 rc1

bf3
Amazing, I downloaded and installed this release for Windows and it works
out of the box, just as a lazy Windows user expects! Woohoo! Great work.

Marc Weber
On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 08:48:20PM +0100, Peter Verswyvelen wrote:
> Amazing, I downloaded and installed this release for Windows and it works
> out of the box, just as a lazy Windows user expects! Woohoo! Great work.

I've had this success adding wxhaskell to nixos using the new distribution as well!

Thanks
Marc Weber