ANNOUNCE: yesod 0.0.0 (web framework)

Michael Snoyman
Hello all,

I'm happy to announce the first release of the Yesod Web Framework[1]. This framework has been in development for over a year and is in production use on a number of websites. The project homepage[2] provides a fairly thorough rundown of features; for here, I will suffice to say that this framework aims at the following goals:

* RESTful applications
* Deployable anywhere (based on WAI)
* Safety

While this framework is still in active development and can be expected to mature over time, this release is ready for use. To get started quickly, simply install the yesod package from Hackage and type "yesod init".

Michael

Re: ANNOUNCE: yesod 0.0.0 (web framework)

Gour-4
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 21:03:12 -0800

Michael> * Deployable anywhere (based on WAI)

Does it mean one will be able to use it with webservers like Cherokee,
nginx...?

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6

Re: Re: ANNOUNCE: yesod 0.0.0 (web framework)

Michael Snoyman

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Gour <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 21:03:12 -0800

Michael> * Deployable anywhere (based on WAI)

Does it mean one will be able to use it with webservers like Cherokee,
nginx...?

Right now, the only WAI backends I'm aware of are the two I've written: SimpleServer and CGI. Assuming Cherokee and nginx support CGI, then yes, you could deploy there.

That said, I intend to port hack-handler-fastcgi to WAI in the not-too-distant future. If anyone needs it sooner, just send me an e-mail, it will probably take very little time to port since it was simply a layer on top of hack-handler-cgi.

Of course, there's a whole range of WAI backends that are possible. SimpleServer is not that great a production server, so I wouldn't mind getting Hyena or Happserver working with WAI. Then there are protocols like SCGI available as well. If we get really adventurous, we could aim for a mod_haskell.

Michael

Re: ANNOUNCE: yesod 0.0.0 (web framework)

Gour-4
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 07:24:15 -0800

Michael> Right now, the only WAI backends I'm aware of are the two I've
Michael> written: SimpleServer and CGI. Assuming Cherokee and nginx
Michael> support CGI, then yes, you could deploy there.

I'm more interested for Cherokee (that's what I've installed for my
Django-stuff on webfaction) and yes, of course, Cherokee supports CGI,
FastCGI, SCGI (I use uWSGI for Django)...

Michael> That said, I intend to port hack-handler-fastcgi to WAI in the
Michael> not-too-distant future. If anyone needs it sooner, just send
Michael> me an e-mail, it will probably take very little time to port
Michael> since it was simply a layer on top of hack-handler-cgi.

No, rush here, but the whole Yesod/WAI development looks quite
encouraging that we can get solid platform for web development in
Haskell pretty soon. :-)

What about Happs guys? Are they involved in WAI?

Michael> Of course, there's a whole range of WAI backends that are
Michael> possible. SimpleServer is not that great a production server,
Michael> so I wouldn't mind getting Hyena or Happserver working with

Michael> If we get really adventurous, we could aim for a mod_haskell.

If mod_haskell means Apache, we do not need it here preferring stuff
like Cherokee/nginx/...

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6

Re: Re: ANNOUNCE: yesod 0.0.0 (web framework)

Michael Snoyman

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 8:00 AM, Gour <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michael> That said, I intend to port hack-handler-fastcgi to WAI in the
Michael> not-too-distant future. If anyone needs it sooner, just send
Michael> me an e-mail, it will probably take very little time to port
Michael> since it was simply a layer on top of hack-handler-cgi.

No, rush here, but the whole Yesod/WAI development looks quite
encouraging that we can get solid platform for web development in
Haskell pretty soon. :-)

What about Happs guys? Are they involved in WAI?

During the planning of WAI, they mentioned that Happstack uses the sendfile system call for optimizing sending of static files. WAI includes support for this now (look at the type of responseBody), so in theory Happstack could work with WAI. In practice, I don't know if they have any plans of doing so, though I hope they do.

Michael> Of course, there's a whole range of WAI backends that are
Michael> possible. SimpleServer is not that great a production server,
Michael> so I wouldn't mind getting Hyena or Happserver working with

Michael> If we get really adventurous, we could aim for a mod_haskell.

If mod_haskell means Apache, we do not need it here preferring stuff
like Cherokee/nginx/...

I also wouldn't have a use for mod_haskell, but it seems every "cool kid on the block" has it ;).

Michael

Re: ANNOUNCE: yesod 0.0.0 (web framework)

Gour-4
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:18:02 -0800

Michael> During the planning of WAI, they mentioned that Happstack
Michael> uses the sendfile system call for optimizing sending of
Michael> static files. WAI includes support for this now (look at the
Michael> type of responseBody), so in theory Happstack could work with
Michael> WAI. In practice, I don't know if they have any plans of
Michael> doing so, though I hope they do.

Yeah, it would be nice.

Otoh, today I read a nice article about RESTful stuff which can
recommend others to pursue 'better-web' (using Haskell, of course),
here it is:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-restful/

Michael> I also wouldn't have a use for mod_haskell, but it seems
Michael> every "cool kid on the block" has it ;).

How do you like other players (Cherokee, nginx,...)?

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6

Re: Re: ANNOUNCE: yesod 0.0.0 (web framework)

Michael Snoyman

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Gour <[hidden email]> wrote:
[..]
Michael> I also wouldn't have a use for mod_haskell, but it seems
Michael> every "cool kid on the block" has it ;).

How do you like other players (Cherokee, nginx,...)?

Frankly, I haven't used either of those (though I came very close on Cherokee once). My most recent site[1] uses lighttpd and CGI, which I find to be a very nice setup. This way, I can avoid playing with virtual hosts at all in Haskell and still get a cookie-less domain (http://static.search-once.com/).

Let me clarify my mod_haskell comment: I'm not saying I have no use for Apache, just that when I *do* use Apache, it's usually on a shared host where my only option is CGI. When I have full control over the deployment, Apache is usually too featureful for what I need. So unless mod_haskell got picked up by cheap shared web hosting (doubtful), I can't see a scenario where I'd end up using it.

Michael