[ANNOUNCEMENT] Change in MR landing procedure

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Change in MR landing procedure

Ben Gamari-3
tl;dr. On Thursday 10 Dec, Marge-bot will be relocated to a retirement
       facility. Her duties will henceforth be carried out by GitLab's
       Merge Train functionality.

Hi all,

When GHC moved to GitLab two years ago the platform lacked a critical
feature: the ability to manage a queue of merge requests slated to be
merged. For the past two years we have been using @marge-bot for this
functionality. While Marge has served us well, she also introduces her
fair share of failure modes.

In the meantime GitLab has grown proper support for our use-case in the
form of the "merge train" mechanism [1]. In light of Marge's growing
intransigence [2], I will grant her a well-earned retirement and begin
using merge trains for merging MRs starting on Thursday.

As a result, the workflow for adding a merge request to the merge queue
will become a bit more straightforward: Instead of setting the MR's
"assignee" to @marge-bot rather push the blue "Start/add to merge train"
button. This adds the merge request to the merge queue. This is
documented in the Wiki [3].

Apart from freeing us from the need to maintain Marge, this change also
enables us to use GitLab's branch-squashing functionality, which Marge
did not support.

Do let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

So long, Marge, and thanks for all of the commits.

Cheers,

 - Ben

[1] https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/ci/merge_request_pipelines/pipelines_for_merged_results/merge_trains/
[2] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/issues/19034
[3] https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/wikis/Contributing-a-Patch

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Change in MR landing procedure

Ben Gamari-3
Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> writes:

> tl;dr. On Thursday 10 Dec, Marge-bot will be relocated to a retirement
>        facility. Her duties will henceforth be carried out by GitLab's
>        Merge Train functionality.
>

> Hi all,
>
> When GHC moved to GitLab two years ago the platform lacked a critical
> feature: the ability to manage a queue of merge requests slated to be
> merged. For the past two years we have been using @marge-bot for this
> functionality. While Marge has served us well, she also introduces her
> fair share of failure modes.
>
> In the meantime GitLab has grown proper support for our use-case in the
> form of the "merge train" mechanism [1]. In light of Marge's growing
> intransigence [2], I will grant her a well-earned retirement and begin
> using merge trains for merging MRs starting on Thursday.

Unfortunately, on further testing I found a few additional features
missing from GitLab's merge train implementation that precludes our use
of it currently. It's possible that this will be fix in the near future
but until then it looks like we will need to stick with Marge. I have
opened #19046 to track the migration.

Anyways, please continue to assign mergeable MR's to @marge-bot until
further notice. I'll roll back the Wiki changes tomorrow.

Apologies for the confusion!

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Change in MR landing procedure

chessai .
No problem, thanks for the update Ben! Something to look forward to