Adding a module

GHC - devs mailing list

If you add a module to GHC, I know you need to extend ghc.cabal.in.   But also ghc.mk? Otherwise I get hits

If you add a module to GHC, I know you need to extend ghc.cabal.in.   But also ghc.mk? Otherwise I get hits
/usr/bin/ar: creating rts/dist/build/libHSrts_debug.a

Reachable modules from DynFlags out of date

Please fix compiler/ghc.mk, or building DLLs on Windows may break (#7780)

Extra modules: CoreOpt

make[1]: *** [compiler/stage2/dll-split.stamp] Error 1

make: *** [all] Error 2

Is it necessary to have two places to extend?

Re: Adding a module

Edward Z. Yang
That's correct: if you add a module which is (indirectly) imported
by DynFlags, you have to tell ghc.mk about it so that the Windows
DLL splitting hack continues to work.

Edward

Excerpts from Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs's message of 2017-03-16 17:49:43 +0000:

> If you add a module to GHC, I know you need to extend ghc.cabal.in.   But also ghc.mk? Otherwise I get hits
>

> If you add a module to GHC, I know you need to extend ghc.cabal.in.   But also ghc.mk? Otherwise I get hits
> /usr/bin/ar: creating rts/dist/build/libHSrts_debug.a
>
> Reachable modules from DynFlags out of date
>
> Please fix compiler/ghc.mk, or building DLLs on Windows may break (#7780)
>
> Extra modules: CoreOpt
>
> make[1]: *** [compiler/stage2/dll-split.stamp] Error 1

> make: *** [all] Error 2
>

> Is it necessary to have two places to extend?
>
> Simon

Re: Adding a module

Ben Gamari-2
Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> writes:

> If you add a module to GHC, I know you need to extend ghc.cabal.in.   But also ghc.mk? Otherwise I get hits
>

> If you add a module to GHC, I know you need to extend ghc.cabal.in.   But also ghc.mk? Otherwise I get hits
> /usr/bin/ar: creating rts/dist/build/libHSrts_debug.a
>
> Reachable modules from DynFlags out of date
>
> Please fix compiler/ghc.mk, or building DLLs on Windows may break (#7780)
>
> Extra modules: CoreOpt
>
> make[1]: *** [compiler/stage2/dll-split.stamp] Error 1

> make: *** [all] Error 2
>

> Is it necessary to have two places to extend?

Well, I suppose we might be able to compute the list of accessible
modules instead of listing them by hand. However, I'm not sure that this
would be worth the complexity it would introduce.

Moreover, I believe that Tamar is working towards being able to entirely
lift the need for this list (please correct me if I'm wrong, Tamar). If
things go well his work should be in 8.4.

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Adding a module

lonetiger
My current patch on phabricator.haskell.org does do away with this and instead implements an automatic partitioning scheme which also scales.

I have just not resolved all the issues yet to be able to push it with dynamic linking on. Although it might be worth for me to disable dynamic linking and push the current one as to get dll-split gone and to make the required build system changes.