Alex and GHC 7.8

wren romano
Hello,

In testing my packages for the impending GHC 7.8 release, I ran into
some issues with Alex-generated code. In particular, it looks like the
(>=#) and (==#)  operators now return Int# instead of Bool, so
expressions like

    if (offset >=# 0#) && (check ==# ord_c) then ...

no longer type check. Is this a known issue? Are there any plans to
fix it? I'd offer to submit a pull-request, but I'm not familiar with
the Alex codebase so that'd take a while

--
Live well,
~wren

Re: Alex and GHC 7.8

Carter Schonwald
you need to use the new versions of alex and happy

cabal update ; cabal install alex happy

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 11:03 PM, wren ng thornton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

In testing my packages for the impending GHC 7.8 release, I ran into
some issues with Alex-generated code. In particular, it looks like the
(>=#) and (==#)  operators now return Int# instead of Bool, so
expressions like

    if (offset >=# 0#) && (check ==# ord_c) then ...

no longer type check. Is this a known issue? Are there any plans to
fix it? I'd offer to submit a pull-request, but I'm not familiar with
the Alex codebase so that'd take a while

--
Live well,
~wren

Re: Alex and GHC 7.8

wren romano
On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 11:12 PM, Carter Schonwald
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> you need to use the new versions of alex and happy
>
> cabal update ; cabal install alex happy

I have version 3.1.3 installed, but I still seem to be getting the same problem

--
Live well,
~wren

Re: Alex and GHC 7.8

wren romano
On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 11:45 PM, wren ng thornton
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 11:12 PM, Carter Schonwald
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> you need to use the new versions of alex and happy
>>
>> cabal update ; cabal install alex happy
>
> I have version 3.1.3 installed, but I still seem to be getting the same problem

Hmmm, working now. Seems like cabal wasn't picking up the right alex...

--
Live well,
~wren

Re: Alex and GHC 7.8

Sergei Trofimovich
On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 23:46:48 -0500
wren ng thornton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 11:45 PM, wren ng thornton
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 11:12 PM, Carter Schonwald
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> you need to use the new versions of alex and happy
> >>
> >> cabal update ; cabal install alex happy
> >
> > I have version 3.1.3 installed, but I still seem to be getting the same problem
>
> Hmmm, working now. Seems like cabal wasn't picking up the right alex...
Or you were using already generated old lexer.

--

  Sergei

Re: Alex and GHC 7.8

Roman Cheplyaka-2
See http://ro-che.info/articles/2014-03-08-happy-alex-ghc-7.8.html

* wren ng thornton <[hidden email]> [2014-03-07 23:03:32-0500]