Alex install failure

GHC - devs mailing list

Friends

I’m trying to update my installation of alex, on Unix (Ubuntu).  But I get the dump below

It’s complaining about a lock file being an invalid argument (see highlight below).

If I manually remove the file I get past that, it successfully installs tf-random, but the same thing happens on the next package.  So I can install packages one at a time, but that’s silly.

Any ideas?

Simon

cabal install alex

Resolving dependencies...

Configuring tf-random-0.5...

Building tf-random-0.5...

Failed to install tf-random-0.5

Build log ( /home/simonpj/.cabal/logs/tf-random-0.5.log ):

cabal: Entering directory '/tcabal mp/cabal-tmp-26141/tf-random-0.5'

Configuring tf-random-0.5...

Building tf-random-0.5...

Preprocessing library tf-random-0.5...

[1 of 4] Compiling System.Random.TF.Gen ( src/System/Random/TF/Gen.hs, dist/build/System/Random/TF/Gen.o )

[2 of 4] Compiling System.Random.TF.Init ( src/System/Random/TF/Init.hs, dist/build/System/Random/TF/Init.o )

src/System/Random/TF/Init.hs:94:5: warning: [-Wdeprecations]

    In the use of ‘bitSize’ (imported from Data.Bits):

    Deprecated: "Use 'bitSizeMaybe' or 'finiteBitSize' instead"

94 |   | bitSize n > 64 = error "mkTFGen: case where size of Int > 64 not implemented"

   |     ^^^^^^^

[3 of 4] Compiling System.Random.TF ( src/System/Random/TF.hs, dist/build/System/Random/TF.o )

[4 of 4] Compiling System.Random.TF.Instances ( src/System/Random/TF/Instances.hs, dist/build/System/Random/TF/Instances.o )

Creating package registration file:

/tmp/pkgConf-tf-random-05965166491189641421.5

Installing library in

/home/simonpj/.cabal/lib/x86_64-linux-ghc-8.2.1/tf-random-0.5-ABDhxe3mXYlHUEE5hzgewx

Registering tf-random-0.5...

cabal: '/usr/local/bin/ghc-pkg' exited with an error:

ghc-pkg: Couldn't open database

/home/simonpj/.ghc/x86_64-linux-8.2.1/package.conf.d for modification:

{handle:

/home/simonpj/.ghc/x86_64-linux-8.2.1/package.conf.d/package.cache.lock}:

hLock: invalid argument (Bad file descriptor)

cabal: Leaving directory '/tmp/cabal-tmp-26141/tf-random-0.5'

QuickCheck-2.10.0.1 depends on tf-random-0.5 which failed to install.

alex-3.2.1 depends on tf-random-0.5 which failed to install.

tf-random-0.5 failed during the final install step. The exception was:

ExitFailure 1

simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/code/HEAD$

Re: Alex install failure

Ben Gamari-2
Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> writes:

> Friends
> I'm trying to update my installation of alex, on Unix (Ubuntu).  But I get the dump below
> It's complaining about a lock file being an invalid argument (see highlight below).
> If I manually remove the file I get past that, it successfully
> installs tf-random, but the same thing happens on the next package. So
> I can install packages one at a time, but that's silly.

Hmm. Here's a shot in the dark: is home home directory mounted via NFS
by any chance?

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Alex install failure

Brandon Allbery
On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> writes:
> I'm trying to update my installation of alex, on Unix (Ubuntu).  But I get the dump below
> It's complaining about a lock file being an invalid argument (see highlight below).
> If I manually remove the file I get past that, it successfully
> installs tf-random, but the same thing happens on the next package. So
> I can install packages one at a time, but that's silly.

Hmm. Here's a shot in the dark: is home home directory mounted via NFS
by any chance?

I was thinking CIFS, but pretty much the same issue. Or NTFS via FUSE module.

RE: Alex install failure

GHC - devs mailing list
That's what I did.   It then succeeds in installing one package, and fails in the same way on the next one.  So I can install packages one at a time, by deleting the lock file manually each time.  Bizarre.

Simon

| >    |

| > 94 |   | bitSize n > 64 = error "mkTFGen: case where size of Int > 64
| not
| > implemented"
| >
| >    |     ^^^^^^^
| >
| > [3 of 4] Compiling System.Random.TF ( src/System/Random/TF.hs,
| > dist/build/System/Random/TF.o )
| >
| > [4 of 4] Compiling System.Random.TF.Instances (
| > src/System/Random/TF/Instances.hs,
| > dist/build/System/Random/TF/Instances.o )
| >
| > Creating package registration file:
| >
| > /tmp/pkgConf-tf-random-05965166491189641421.5
| >
| > Installing library in
| >
| > /home/simonpj/.cabal/lib/x86_64-linux-ghc-8.2.1/tf-random-0.5-ABDhxe3m
| > XYlHUEE5hzgewx
| >
| > Registering tf-random-0.5...
| >
| > cabal: '/usr/local/bin/ghc-pkg' exited with an error:
| >
| > ghc-pkg: Couldn't open database
| >
| > /home/simonpj/.ghc/x86_64-linux-8.2.1/package.conf.d for modification:
| >
| > {handle:
| >
| > /home/simonpj/.ghc/x86_64-linux-
| 8.2.1/package.conf.d/package.cache.lock}:
| >
| > hLock: invalid argument (Bad file descriptor)
| >
| > cabal: Leaving directory '/tmp/cabal-tmp-26141/tf-random-0.5'
| >
| > cabal: Error: some packages failed to install:
| >
| > QuickCheck-2.10.0.1 depends on tf-random-0.5 which failed to install.
| >
| > alex-3.2.1 depends on tf-random-0.5 which failed to install.
| >
| > tf-random-0.5 failed during the final install step. The exception was:
| >
| > ExitFailure 1
| >
| > simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/code/HEAD$

| devs&data=02%7C01%7Csimonpj%40microsoft.com%7C3f6ad797e3454147fa5e08d4e62
| 821e2%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636386507413664213&sda
| ta=ex4vc7sfwhYQsoTNUKSrtdKZtIkDxDWor0CEKN0M4Wk%3D&reserved=0

RE: Alex install failure

GHC - devs mailing list
| Hmm. Here's a shot in the dark: is home home directory mounted via NFS by
| any chance?

Direct hit!  (for the shot in the dark).  Yes it's NFS mounted I think.  So what?

Simon

Re: Alex install failure

Herbert Valerio Riedel-3
On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 12:43 AM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> | Hmm. Here's a shot in the dark: is home home directory mounted via NFS by
> | any chance?
>
> Direct hit!  (for the shot in the dark).  Yes it's NFS mounted I think.  So what?

Then you're another victim of

:-/

RE: Alex install failure

GHC - devs mailing list
| Then you're another victim of
|
| https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/13945

[Reads ticket].  Blimey.  This looks serious. As in release-blocker (except that we have released).   Why does it only happen with 8.2.1?  The ticket has no how-to-fix plan.

Simon

Re: Alex install failure

Ara Adkins
NFS can be pretty dodgy with transient files due to latency. Sometimes the delete takes appreciable time after the command is issued so the lock file might just be persisting. I’d try installing into a cabal sandbox on a local drive and see if the same issue crops up.

_ara

> On 18 Aug 2017, at 23:43, Simon Peyton Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | Hmm. Here's a shot in the dark: is home home directory mounted via NFS by
> | any chance?
>
> Direct hit!  (for the shot in the dark).  Yes it's NFS mounted I think.  So what?
>
> Simon

RE: Alex install failure

GHC - devs mailing list
Maybe so, but it's really not a good experience for GHC/Cabal users.   If aptget did this, people would bleat loudly.

Simon

| > |
| > | Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> writes:
| > |
| > | argument (see highlight below).
| > |
| > | Hmm. Here's a shot in the dark: is home home directory mounted via
| > | NFS by any chance?
| > |
| > | Cheers,
| > |
| > | - Ben

Re: Alex install failure

Ara Adkins
I don’t disagree in the slightest! It’s just an easy way to find out if that is the cause of what you’re seeing or if it’s something deeper.

For what it’s worth I’ve tried to replicate this on NFS to no avail, but it’s not like the mount I was using was under much load.

_ara

On 19 Aug 2017, at 00:37, Simon Peyton Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

Maybe so, but it's really not a good experience for GHC/Cabal users.   If aptget did this, people would bleat loudly.

Simon

| > |
| > | Cheers,
| > |
| > | - Ben

RE: Alex install failure

Ben Gamari-2
Simon Peyton Jones <[hidden email]> writes:

> | Hmm. Here's a shot in the dark: is home home directory mounted via NFS by
> | any chance?
>
> Direct hit!  (for the shot in the dark).  Yes it's NFS mounted I think.  So what?

Well, as others have pointed out NFS and locking tends to be a bit of a
can of worms. Some broken systems don't even run the locking daemon by
default; even when configured properly locking can still be problematic,
especially under contention (although I doubt this is the case in your
situation).

It's been quite a while since I have configured NFS, but IIRC one thing
to verify is that there is at least one lockd process and one portmapper
process running. I doubt this is problematic under Ubuntu in 2017, but
it's worth checking. It might also be a good idea to grab an strace log
of ghc-pkg to see what precisely is going on. Perhaps also check the
system log.

Regardless, we should try getting to the bottom of this; ghc-pkg failing
is quite bad, even if the system's locking configuration happens to be
broken.

Cheers,

- Ben

RE: Alex install failure

Ben Gamari-2
Simon Peyton Jones <[hidden email]> writes:

> | Then you're another victim of
> |
> | https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/13945

Oh dear, yes, it looks like I lost track of this one.

> [Reads ticket]. Blimey. This looks serious. As in release-blocker
> (except that we have released). Why does it only happen with 8.2.1?
> The ticket has no how-to-fix plan.

The problem is that we don't really know what the issue is yet. Some
have hypothesized that it's due to SELinux, I suspect the problem is
NFS. Perhaps there are multiple issues. More information about the
environments under which this is observed would certainly be helpful.

If someone could describe their environment I would be happy to
try reproducing and investigate.

Cheers,

- Ben

RE: Alex install failure

Ben Gamari-3
Simon Peyton Jones <[hidden email]> writes:

> | Hmm. Here's a shot in the dark: is home home directory mounted via NFS by
> | any chance?
>
> Direct hit! (for the shot in the dark). Yes it's NFS mounted I think.
> So what?

Hi Simon,

Sorry for the rather belated reply; I was knocked off my feet for a few
days by a rather nasty tetanus vaccination.

Anyways, I have a patch which I suspect will help. It seems that some
NFS implementations incur a rather long delay (order of seconds) between
the time a file handle is closed and an open flock lock on the handle
being released. I suspect this delay won't exist in cases where we
explicitly funlock before closing the file handle.

I have implemented this in wip/ghc-pkg-locking. Do you think you could
give this branch a try? If it still fails then we'll have to try to
debug things in-situ.

Cheers,

- Ben

RE: Alex install failure

GHC - devs mailing list
|  I have implemented this in wip/ghc-pkg-locking. Do you think you could give
|  this branch a try? If it still fails then we'll have to try to debug things
|  in-situ.

Alas, no go.

* I'm on wip/ghc-pkg-locking
* I checked that the lock file was removed

then I tried this:

simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/code/HEAD-2$ cabal install lens --with-ghc=/home/simonpj/5builds/HEAD-2/inplace/bin/ghc-stage2
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring base-orphans-0.6...
Configuring cabal-doctest-1.0.2...
Configuring call-stack-0.1.0...
Configuring fail-4.9.0.0...
Configuring hashable-1.2.6.1...
Configuring parallel-3.2.1.1...
Configuring prelude-extras-0.4.0.3...
Configuring primitive-0.6.2.0...
Configuring reflection-2.1.2...
Configuring semigroups-0.18.3...
Configuring stm-2.4.4.1...
Configuring th-abstraction-0.2.5.0...
Configuring transformers-compat-0.5.1.4...
Configuring void-0.7.2...
Building base-orphans-0.6...
Building cabal-doctest-1.0.2...
Building fail-4.9.0.0...
Building call-stack-0.1.0...
Building parallel-3.2.1.1...
Building hashable-1.2.6.1...
Building primitive-0.6.2.0...
Building prelude-extras-0.4.0.3...
Building reflection-2.1.2...
Building semigroups-0.18.3...
Building stm-2.4.4.1...
Building void-0.7.2...
Building th-abstraction-0.2.5.0...
Building transformers-compat-0.5.1.4...
Installed fail-4.9.0.0
Failed to install base-orphans-0.6
Build log ( /home/simonpj/.cabal/logs/base-orphans-0.6.log ):
cabal: Entering directory '/tmp/cabal-tmp-28239/base-orphans-0.6'
Configuring base-orphans-0.6...
Building base-orphans-0.6...
Preprocessing library base-orphans-0.6...
[1 of 2] Compiling Data.Orphans     ( src/Data/Orphans.hs, dist/build/Data/Orphans.o )
[2 of 2] Compiling Data.Orphans.Prelude ( src/Data/Orphans/Prelude.hs, dist/build/Data/Orphans/Prelude.o )
Creating package registration file:
/tmp/pkgConf-base-orphans-010599613932089018456.6
Installing library in
/home/simonpj/.cabal/lib/x86_64-linux-ghc-8.3.20170825/base-orphans-0.6-9iPDLrUqQ5yHb9fb9OUZ9L
Registering base-orphans-0.6...
cabal: '/home/simonpj/5builds/HEAD-2/inplace/bin/ghc-pkg' exited with an
error:
ghc-pkg: Couldn't open database
/home/simonpj/.ghc/x86_64-linux-8.3.20170825/package.conf.d for modification:
{handle:
/home/simonpj/.ghc/x86_64-linux-8.3.20170825/package.conf.d/package.cache.lock}:
hLock: invalid argument (Bad file descriptor)
cabal: Leaving directory '/tmp/cabal-tmp-28239/base-orphans-0.6'
Failed to install void-0.7.2
Build log ( /home/simonpj/.cabal/logs/void-0.7.2.log ):
cabal: Entering directory '/tmp/cabal-tmp-28252/void-0.7.2'
Configuring void-0.7.2...
Building void-0.7.2...
Preprocessing library void-0.7.2...
[1 of 1] Compiling Data.Void.Unsafe ( src/Data/Void/Unsafe.hs, dist/build/Data/Void/Unsafe.o )
Creating package registration file: /tmp/pkgConf-void-0.76281750111656478042.2
Installing library in
/home/simonpj/.cabal/lib/x86_64-linux-ghc-8.3.20170825/void-0.7.2-KNNEd7XG9bDRysTndgnf2
Registering void-0.7.2...
cabal: '/home/simonpj/5builds/HEAD-2/inplace/bin/ghc-pkg' exited with an
error:
ghc-pkg: Couldn't open database
/home/simonpj/.ghc/x86_64-linux-8.3.20170825/package.conf.d for modification:
{handle:
/home/simonpj/.ghc/x86_64-linux-8.3.20170825/package.conf.d/package.cache.lock}:
hLock: invalid argument (Bad file descriptor)
cabal: Leaving directory '/tmp/cabal-tmp-28252/void-0.7.2'
Failed to install semigroups-0.18.3
Build log ( /home/simonpj/.cabal/logs/semigroups-0.18.3.log ):
cabal: Entering directory '/tmp/cabal-tmp-28248/semigroups-0.18.3'
Configuring semigroups-0.18.3...
Building semigroups-0.18.3...
Preprocessing library semigroups-0.18.3...
[1 of 1] Compiling Data.Semigroup.Generic ( src/Data/Semigroup/Generic.hs, dist/build/Data/Semigroup/Generic.o )
Creating package registration file:
/tmp/pkgConf-semigroups-0.188594844211914544919.3
Installing library in
/home/simonpj/.cabal/lib/x86_64-linux-ghc-8.3.20170825/semigroups-0.18.3-9GRyDnRvoqO5HfdYR3Qz4o
Registering semigroups-0.18.3...
cabal: '/home/simonpj/5builds/HEAD-2/inplace/bin/ghc-pkg' exited with an
error:
ghc-pkg: Couldn't open database
/home/simonpj/.ghc/x86_64-linux-8.3.20170825/package.conf.d for modification:
{handle:
/home/simonpj/.ghc/x86_64-linux-8.3.20170825/package.conf.d/package.cache.lock}:
hLock: invalid argument (Bad file descriptor)
cabal: Leaving directory '/tmp/cabal-tmp-28248/semigroups-0.18.3'
  C-c C-c
simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/code/HEAD-2$

RE: Alex install failure

Ben Gamari-3
Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> writes:

> |  I have implemented this in wip/ghc-pkg-locking. Do you think you could give
> |  this branch a try? If it still fails then we'll have to try to debug things
> |  in-situ.
>
> Alas, no go.

Hmm, alright then. What do the following say,

 * ps -Af | grep lockd
 * ps -Af | grep portmap
 * ps -Af | grep rpcbind
 * mount | grep nfs

Cheers,

- Ben

RE: Alex install failure

GHC - devs mailing list
|  Hmm, alright then. What do the following say,
|
|   * ps -Af | grep lockd
|   * ps -Af | grep portmap
|   * ps -Af | grep rpcbind
|   * mount | grep nfs

simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/tmp$ ps -Af | grep locd
simonpj  20138  1184  0 12:46 pts/7    00:00:00 grep locd

simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/tmp$ ps -Af | grep portmap
simonpj  22601  1184  0 12:46 pts/7    00:00:00 grep portmap

simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/tmp$ ps -Af | grep rpcbind
root      1472     1  0  2016 ?        00:00:13 rpcbind -w
simonpj  26634  1184  0 12:46 pts/7    00:00:00 grep rpcbind

simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/tmp$ mount | grep nfs
camresunxa02:/home on /home type nfs (rw,intr,vers=4,addr=10.190.50.19,clientaddr=10.190.108.81)

RE: Alex install failure

GHC - devs mailing list
|  note that you mistyped "lockd" (aka "lock daemon") as "locd"

Oh, sorry about mistyping

simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/tmp$ ps -Af | grep lockd
root       140     2  0  2016 ?        00:00:00 [kblockd]
simonpj   7882  1184  0 13:22 pts/7    00:00:00 grep lockd

|  also, the output of "rpcinfo -p" would be interesting to know

simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/tmp$ rpcinfo -p
Command 'rpcinfo' is available in '/usr/sbin/rpcinfo'
The command could not be located because '/usr/sbin' is not included in the PATH environment variable.
This is most likely caused by the lack of administrative privileges associated with your user account.
|  note that you mistyped "lockd" (aka "lock daemon") as "locd"
|
|  also, the output of "rpcinfo -p" would be interesting to know
|
|  On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 1:47 PM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <ghc-
|  [hidden email]> wrote:
|  > |  Hmm, alright then. What do the following say,
|  > |
|  > |   * ps -Af | grep lockd
|  > |   * ps -Af | grep portmap
|  > |   * ps -Af | grep rpcbind
|  > |   * mount | grep nfs
|  > |
|  >
|  > simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/tmp$ ps -Af | grep locd
|  > simonpj  20138  1184  0 12:46 pts/7    00:00:00 grep locd
|  >
|  > simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/tmp$ ps -Af | grep portmap
|  > simonpj  22601  1184  0 12:46 pts/7    00:00:00 grep portmap
|  >
|  > simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/tmp$ ps -Af | grep rpcbind
|  > root      1472     1  0  2016 ?        00:00:13 rpcbind -w
|  > simonpj  26634  1184  0 12:46 pts/7    00:00:00 grep rpcbind
|  >
|  > simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/tmp$ mount | grep nfs camresunxa02:/home on /home
|  > type nfs (rw,intr,vers=4,addr=10.190.50.19,clientaddr=10.190.108.81)
|  >
|  > |
|  > |  Cheers,
|  > |
|  > |  - Ben
|  >
|  > _______________________________________________
|  > ghc-devs mailing list
|  > [hidden email]
|  > https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.h
|  > askell.org%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fghc-devs&data=02%7C01%7Csi
|  > monpj%40microsoft.com%7C33b163bdb97f4f59d80f08d4ee0b07ea%7C72f988bf86f
|  > 141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636395178517098924&sdata=EOVdQbvvTDGP9
|  > 2o8AHcVEcapHMicnVptxMCpwRPrsvE%3D&reserved=0

RE: Alex install failure

Ben Gamari-2
Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <[hidden email]> writes:

> |  note that you mistyped "lockd" (aka "lock daemon") as "locd"
>
> Oh, sorry about mistyping
>
> simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/tmp$ ps -Af | grep lockd
> root       140     2  0  2016 ?        00:00:00 [kblockd]
> simonpj   7882  1184  0 13:22 pts/7    00:00:00 grep lockd

Interesting; no lock daemon.

> |  also, the output of "rpcinfo -p" would be interesting to know
>
> simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/tmp$ rpcinfo -p
> Command 'rpcinfo' is available in '/usr/sbin/rpcinfo'
> The command could not be located because '/usr/sbin' is not included in the PATH environment variable.
> This is most likely caused by the lack of administrative privileges associated with your user account.
> rpcinfo: command not found

Silly me; are you able to run `sudo rpcinfo -p`?

Cheers,

- Ben

RE: Alex install failure

GHC - devs mailing list
sudo rpcinfo -p
   program vers proto   port  service
    100000    4   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    3   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    4   udp    111  portmapper
    100000    3   udp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100024    1   udp  56434  status
    100024    1   tcp  34797  status
simonpj@cam-05-unx:~/code/HEAD$

Hmm, interesting. So it seems almost certain at this point that you are
not running the lock daemon. In contrast, on an NFSv3 client that I
setup I see,

$ sudo rpcinfo -p
   program vers proto   port  service
    100000    4   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    3   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    4   udp    111  portmapper
    100000    3   udp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100024    1   udp  42146  status
    100024    1   tcp  44535  status
    100021    1   udp  33470  nlockmgr
    100021    3   udp  33470  nlockmgr
    100021    4   udp  33470  nlockmgr
    100021    1   tcp  40385  nlockmgr
    100021    3   tcp  40385  nlockmgr
    100021    4   tcp  40385  nlockmgr

Hmmm. I'll need to do some reading at this point.

Cheers,

- Ben