Alternative Preludes

Hilco Wijbenga
Hi all,

I've been looking for a different Prelude to, at minimum, default to
Text instead of String but I'm sure there are other things that would
be helpful. E.g., less focus on lists.

I had a look at [1] and protolude, classy-prelude, basic-prelude,
foundation, safe-prelude, and rio all seem interesting. Maybe even
base-noprelude?

I'm an advanced beginner (I don't think I qualify as intermediate
yet). Going by [1], classy-prelude might not be such a good idea
because of "scary error messages". And, I'm guessing, I would need to
know Haskell better to take advantage of base-noprelude?

I would like to know your thoughts/suggestions/opinions/ideas. Also,
if there are other preludes that might be of interest, do tell!

Cheers,
Hilco

[1] https://guide.aelve.com/haskell/alternative-preludes-zr69k1hc

Re: Alternative Preludes

Vanessa McHale
I would suggest just using the text package and importing it qualified.
Foundation has its own text type which is supposedly fast, but it
introduces some complications as well.

rio looks too involved to me. This all depends on your project - plenty
of libraries have no need to depend on mtl or vector, so adding them as
dependencies just makes your builds more fragile.  Lots of these
libraries break cross-compilation too (or just make it more difficult).
But if you're writing an application for use on your computer only, none
of this matters.

Also you shouldn't be afraid of lists. They have their place in
functional programming and Haskell.

On 06/28/2018 01:22 AM, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been looking for a different Prelude to, at minimum, default to
> Text instead of String but I'm sure there are other things that would
> be helpful. E.g., less focus on lists.
>
> I had a look at [1] and protolude, classy-prelude, basic-prelude,
> foundation, safe-prelude, and rio all seem interesting. Maybe even
> base-noprelude?
>
> I'm an advanced beginner (I don't think I qualify as intermediate
> yet). Going by [1], classy-prelude might not be such a good idea
> because of "scary error messages". And, I'm guessing, I would need to
> know Haskell better to take advantage of base-noprelude?
>
> I would like to know your thoughts/suggestions/opinions/ideas. Also,
> if there are other preludes that might be of interest, do tell!
>
> Cheers,
> Hilco
>
> [1] https://guide.aelve.com/haskell/alternative-preludes-zr69k1hc

Re: Alternative Preludes

Ian Ross
I'd put in a vote for protolude.  I just started using it on a new project that promises to get quite big, and it's turning out to make life a lot easier.  Two things I'd suggest: 1. Don't use a custom prelude for libraries, especially if you're planning to publish them publicly -- only use custom preludes for applications.  2. Treat whatever custom prelude you choose as a starting point, not as something that's fixed in stone.  I've been using our custom prelude as a way to provide common utility functions, to work around limitations in some of the dependencies we're using, and so on.  If I find myself repeatedly importing a library module into application code, I move it into one of our prelude modules.  I'm really liking the approach and wish I'd tried it a long time ago.

Cheers,

Ian.

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 8:22 AM, Hilco Wijbenga <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ian Ross   Tel: <a href="tel:%2B43%280%296804451378" value="+436804451378" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank">+43(0)6804451378   [hidden email]   www.skybluetrades.net
PGP Key: 0x04490CC0/F4D6 027F 2661 745C 83A5  297D FCCC 0AE6 0449 0CC0