Annotations: status and documentation

Greg Weber
I would like to be able to retrieve user-supplied annotations in Template Haskell. The 7.8 user manual doesn't mention this ability. However, I see this Trac page:

Where it appears that this feature may exist in 7.8. I will gladly tinker with annotations and update the user manual if someone will help me understand what the situation is.

On a related note, it looks like this patch pointed to from the Wiki page for annotations got ignored. Should i submit it to phabricator?

Thanks,
Greg Weber