Announce: ~Haskell 2011

Malcolm Wallace-2
The Haskell Language committee has had a quiet year.  Following the
announcement of Haskell 2010 in Nov 2009 [1], and the publication of
the 2010 Report in July 2010 [2], we found a distinct lack of complete
new proposals to decide upon.  As a result, the committee has made the
following decisions:

  (a) we wish to accept the NoDatatypeContexts proposal
      http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/NoDatatypeContexts
  (b) this delta will be applied to the 2010 Report to form a new
baseline;
  (c) we will _not_ issue a new language standard called 2011;
  (d) we intend to issue a new language standard in 2012;
  (e) the committee will continue for another year without new
nominations.

However, let me make it clear that the apparent lull in committee
activity does not mean there are no active proposals being made.  On
the contrary, proposals for language features (and removals) are made
by the community at large (that's you) - the committee's main role is
not to make proposals, but to decide which to accept.  And there have
in fact been a large number of proposals, but very few have made it
all the way to the stage of producing a "language report delta" that
could be accepted (or modified) by the committee.

So, I wish to declare "open season" on proposals for the 2012
standard.  If there is a language feature you care about, please do
take an hour or two to review the details on our wiki [3], search for
older discussions on the mailing lists, and draft the Report changes
you think would be necessary.  I'm looking forward to a more active
and exciting collection of potential language changes for 2012, but it
will only happen if you get involved.

Regards,
     Malcolm (Haskell 2011 committee chair)

[1] http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell/2009-November/021750.html
[2] http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell/2010-July/022189.html
[3] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/

Re: Announce: ~Haskell 2011

Ian Lynagh
On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 06:39:11PM +0000, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

>  (a) we wish to accept the NoDatatypeContexts proposal

Hurrah!

>  (b) this delta will be applied to the 2010 Report to form a new
> baseline;
>  (c) we will _not_ issue a new language standard called 2011;
>  (d) we intend to issue a new language standard in 2012;

Have you considered deciding about individual proposals as and when they
are completed, rather than making a decision about all proposals each
September? This could also avoid merge-conflicts between the report
deltas for proposals that touch the same bit of the report.

Thanks
Ian

Re: Announce: ~Haskell 2011

Malcolm Wallace-2
On 7 Jan 2011, at 22:25, Ian Lynagh wrote:

> Have you considered deciding about individual proposals as and when
> they
> are completed, rather than making a decision about all proposals each
> September? This could also avoid merge-conflicts between the report
> deltas for proposals that touch the same bit of the report.

I can see advantages and disadvantages of both approaches -
incremental decisions vs a single time-limited big decision.  I think
it all depends on the engagement of the community.  If there is clear
consensus from the community on a particular proposal, I can imagine
the committee incrementally accepting it.  If consensus is not clear,
I think a decision is likely to be deferred until voting-time.

Regards,
     Malcolm

Re: Announce: ~Haskell 2011

Sjoerd Visscher-2

> So, I wish to declare "open season" on proposals for the 2012 standard.  If there is a language feature you care about, please do take an hour or two to review the details on our wiki [3], search for older discussions on the mailing lists, and draft the Report changes you think would be necessary.  I'm looking forward to a more active and exciting collection of potential language changes for 2012, but it will only happen if you get involved.

Did anybody ever do a count on Hackage which language extensions are used the most?

--
Sjoerd Visscher

Re: [Haskell] Announce: ~Haskell 2011

Malcolm Wallace-2
>> (a) we wish to accept the NoDatatypeContexts proposal
>>     http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/NoDatatypeContexts
>
> The Trac-Wiki says: "What removing the datatype contexts from a source
> file will do is make some previously illegal programs legal." What
> is an
> example?

As on the wiki,
     data Eq a => Foo a = Constr a
     getVal :: Foo a -> a
     getVal (Constr x) = x
would previously have been rejected.  Once the compiler forces the
user to remove the Eq a => context on the datatype, the rest of the
program will be accepted.
Regards,
     Malcolm

Re: Announce: ~Haskell 2011

Ian Lynagh
On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 06:39:11PM +0000, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

>  (b) this delta will be applied to the 2010 Report to form a new
> baseline;

Did this happen? If so, where is it?

I only found:
    http://darcs.haskell.org/haskell-prime-report/
which hasn't had a patch since Jul 21 2009, and:
    http://darcs.haskell.org/haskell98-report/
    http://darcs.haskell.org/haskell2010-report/
which are for older versions of the standard.

>  (a) we wish to accept the NoDatatypeContexts proposal
>      http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/NoDatatypeContexts

Shouldn't
    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/ticket/139
be state "accepted" and closed now, then?

Thanks
Ian

Re: Announce: ~Haskell 2011

Ross Paterson
On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 06:39:11PM +0000, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> As a result, the committee has made the following decisions:
>
>  (a) we wish to accept the NoDatatypeContexts proposal
>      http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/NoDatatypeContexts
>  (b) this delta will be applied to the 2010 Report to form a new baseline;

What is the status of this?  Should the datatype contexts be removed
from the base package?