Announce: Haskell Platform 8.4.2

Gershom Bazerman
On behalf of the Haskell Platform team, I'm happy to announce the release of

Haskell Platform 8.4.2

Now available at

https://www.haskell.org/platform/

This includes GHC 8.4.2, cabal-install 2.2.0.0, and stack 1.7.1, all
with substantial improvements since the last platform release.

A full list of contents is available at
https://www.haskell.org/platform/contents.html

Thanks to all the contributors to this release, thanks to all the
package and tool maintainers and authors, and a big thanks to the GHC
team for all their hard work.

There are (still) currently no 32 bit Windows builds available. We're
looking into the issues preventing us from building an installer for
that platform. The components all appear to work individually in such
a case, and can be installed separately by users who so desire.

A list of new GHC changes is available at:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/blog/ghc-8.4.1-released and
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/blog/ghc-8.4.2-released

A list of cabal changes is available at:
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/cabal-install-2.2.0.0/changelog

The cabal documentation page is at:
https://www.haskell.org/cabal/users-guide/

A list of stack changes is at:
https://docs.haskellstack.org/en/stable/ChangeLog/#v171

The stack documentation page is at:
https://docs.haskellstack.org/en/stable/README/

Happy Haskell Hacking all,
Gershom

Re: Announce: Haskell Platform 8.4.2

Gershom Bazerman
One additional feature I forgot to note: the windows platform
installers should no longer require manually altering the cabal config
file to add `extra-prog-path`, etc. to point to the msys distribution.
The new windows installer takes advantage of the `cabal user-config
--augment` command to add those lines automatically. This should give
a smoother install experience for new windows users.

--gershom