Announce: Yi 0.5.0.1

Jean-Philippe Bernardy-2
I'm pleased to announce the 0.5 release of the Yi editor.

## Yi
Yi is a text editor written and extensible in Haskell. The
long-term goal of the Yi project is to provide the editor of
choice for Haskell programmers.

Yi is not a finished product. This is a beta-quality release. However, Yi has
become a lot more usable than previously, so if you feel like testing it, now
might be a good time to take a look.

## Installation
Using cabal install:

  cabal install yi-0.5.0.1

If you want unix console support, pass the -fvty option to cabal install.

## Features
* A purely functional editor core
* Key-bindings written as parsers of the input
* Emacs, Vim and partial Cua emulations provided by default
* Unix Console front-end (Gtk2Hs frontend is not supported in this release)

* Static configuration (XMonad style) for fast load
* Haskell support:
    * Lexical highlighting
    * Layout-aware parenthesis-matching
    * Auto-indentation
    * cabal-build within the editor

## Links
* [download](http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/yi)
* [FAQ](http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Yi/FAQ)
* [homepage](http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Yi)
* [blog and release notes](http://yi-editor.blogspot.com/)
* [check and report issues](http://code.google.com/p/yi-editor/issues/list)
* [darcs repository](http://code.haskell.org/yi)
* [get involved](mailto:[hidden email])

## Credits

This release is brought to you by:

* Allan Clark
* Corey O'Connor
* Gustav Munkby
* Gwern Branwen
* Jean-Philippe Bernardy
* Jeff Wheeler
* Nicolas Pouillard
* Thomas Schilling
* Tristan Allwood

and all the contributors to the previous versions.

Re: Announce: Yi 0.5.0.1

Bugzilla from alfonso.acosta@gmail.com
On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Jean-Philippe Bernardy
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce the 0.5 release of the Yi editor.

I've just tested it and seems to work nicely, thanks.

> * Unix Console front-end (Gtk2Hs frontend is not supported in this release)

What ever happened to the experimental cocoa frontend? I'm sure a lot
of Haskell hackers use OSX :)

> * Haskell support:
>    * Lexical highlighting
>    * Layout-aware parenthesis-matching
>    * Auto-indentation
>    * cabal-build within the editor

Some features I would love to see in Yi (I will add them to the tracker).

* Automatic generation of module header templates (i.e. author, module
name, license ... ) based on the project's Cabal file
* Integration with darcs.
* Automatic identifier completion and on-the-fly checking of code
(e.g. type-checking) and haddock markup.

Re: Announce: Yi 0.5.0.1

Alberto G. Corona
and..
integrated compiler error location in source code; Very important for rapid application development

and overall:
Integrated GHCI debugger: VERY important for Haskell Newbies. for understanding the haskell execution strategy. for interactive teaching.