Announce snm-0.0.2: The Simple Nice-Looking Manual Generator

Announce snm-0.0.2: The Simple Nice-Looking Manual Generator

Johnny Morrice
Hi list,

Recently, I've been working on a compiler/programming language
project.[2]

I became rather unstuck when I started spending more time documenting
the semantics instead of actually getting to work on the implementation.

Hence this program!

snm allows you to write clean, web-friendly reports, user guides and
manuals without having to edit fickle html.

snm allows you to structure your document in a modular fashion.

snm document sections are written in yaml and are easy to write and
understand.

snm is a generator of small, valid xhtml files.

Read the snm user guide here:
http://www.killersmurf.com/static/snm_help.html

snm uses Yaml and generates XHTML, so it's a little like John
MacFarlane's yst[1], but yst is for making websites, while snm is
exclusively for creating structured reports.

It still has a lot of problems, not to mention no support for images, or
multiple pages, but I'm finding it usable (enough to document itself!)
so I thought it best to share :)

Sorry if I have left typos, it's very late

Have fun,
   Johnny

[1] John MacFarlane's yst: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/yst
[2] Yon aforementioned programming language project, in case anyone
fancies a peep.  Demoted to reference #2, on account of it not yet
compiling code :) http://github.com/elginer/Obelisk

Re: Announce snm-0.0.2: The Simple Nice-Looking Manual Generator

Benjamin L. Russell
Johnny Morrice <[hidden email]> writes:

> [...]
>
> snm allows you to write clean, web-friendly reports, user guides and
> manuals without having to edit fickle html.

Interesting project!  Unlike some users, I happen to enjoy writing
documentation.  Perhaps you should also announce this project on the main Haskell
mailing list.

> [...]
>
> Read the snm user guide here:
> http://www.killersmurf.com/static/snm_help.html

> 2. What snm does not do and is not
>
> [...]
>
> snm is not an adult activity.

Hmm ... the term "adult activity" could mean many different things
... what one did you mean?

Thank you for the many examples in your user guide; they help clarify
usage.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
--
Benjamin L. Russell  /   DekuDekuplex at Yahoo dot com
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/