Announcement: new maintainers forr wxHaskell

Announcement: new maintainers forr wxHaskell

Jeremy O'Donoghue
Hi all,

I'd like to announce that we have a new team of maintainers in place
for wxHaskell, so we're hoping that this list will see a significant
increase in activtiy in the future.

We have several near-term objectives, which will likely occur in
roughly the order below:

* Pull together all of the patches for various wxHaskell
functionalities which are 'out there' into the core distribution.
* Enhance support for Unicode.
* Ensure that we support GHC 6.4.2 and GHC 6.6.
* Add support for wxWidgets 2.6.3 and maintain support for wxWidgets
2.4.2. There are very good reasons why many wxHaskell users will want
to continue to use 2.4.2.
* 'Cabalize' the wxHaskell build system.
* Add new examples and increase the coverage of different wxWidgets
functionalities.
* Create binary releases / installable packages for popular platforms
(Windows, Mac, Debian are current favourites)

The maintainers will work mainly on a public Darcs repository at
http://darcs.haskell.org/wxhaskell, which will always contain the
latest patches, but which may not always be stable. I will, from time
to time, release reasonably stable updates of files to Sourceforge
CVS, and we will aim for binary releases whenever this makes sense.

I'd ask the community to send patches via this list. They will get
added to the public Darcs repository once at least one of the
maintainers has successfully integrated and built them. We will create
a separate developers list if the volume of patches ever threatens to
overwhelm the wxhaskell-users list :-)

To go with the above, I hereby provide first patch to to the archive
at http://darcs.haskell.org/wxhaskell as an attachment.

This patch brings together patches from a number of sources (mainly
Shelarcy and Eric) to provide some support for Unicode variants of
wxWidgets, a couple of extra widgets, preliminary support for
wxWidgets 2.6.3 and a patch to enable build with GHC 6.6.

None of this would have been possible without a great bunch of
volunteers who have come forward and shown great patience with the
slow pace at which I have pulled this together. Eric Kow, Shelarcy,
Mads Lindstrøm, Time Docker and Frank Berthold have all offered their
assistance, and should take a virtual bow.

Finally, none of this would have been possible without the assistance
of Daan Leijen, the original author of most of wxHaskell, who has been
gracious enough to offer advice, and to pass on everything we need to
move forward.

jodonoghue.271006.patch (20K) Download Attachment

Re: Announcement: new maintainers forr wxHaskell

Bulat Ziganshin-2
Hello Jeremy,

> I'd ask the community to send patches via this list.

i suggest to use [hidden email] for this purpose. at least
other libs maintained there

Re: Announcement: new maintainers forr wxHaskell

Henk-Jan van Tuyl

Hello all,

I suggest [hidden email], the GUI task force mailing list; nothing is
going on there at the moment, but it seems the most appropriate list.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

--
http://Van.Tuyl.eu/

https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=789433

Re: [wxhaskell-users] Announcement: new maintainers forr wxHaskell

Eric Kow
On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 23:26:40 +0100, Henk-Jan van Tuyl wrote:
> I suggest [hidden email], the GUI task force mailing list; nothing is
> going on there at the moment, but it seems the most appropriate list.

Hmm... I guess I'm happy just using the wxhaskell-users list for now,
but if we do switch to something, this is a likely candidate.

Although in the future, if it does get more active, and more than one
project decide to use the list, it might get confusing.  Maybe that list
would better be for cross toolkit discussions.

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.