Benchmarking Framework

Tom Harper
I am in the process of writing a library for my MSc dissertation and
would like to do some benchmarking.  In doing so I need to compare
the time and space of my library with some other code.  Is there a
framework for doing so in Haskell, aside from the Profiling tools in
GHC?   Basically I'm looking for something like QuickCheck, but that
helps with generating repeatable tests to measure performance.  Is
there anything out there that anyone would recommend?

--
Tom Harper
MSc Computer Science '08

Re: Benchmarking Framework

Ketil Malde-5
"Tom Harper" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am in the process of writing a library for my MSc dissertation and
> would like to do some benchmarking.  In doing so I need to compare
> the time and space of my library with some other code.  Is there a
> framework for doing so in Haskell, aside from the Profiling tools in
> GHC?   Basically I'm looking for something like QuickCheck, but that
> helps with generating repeatable tests to measure performance.  Is
> there anything out there that anyone would recommend?

I've hacked around with QuickCheck to run somewhat more predictable
tests with timing results.  It's not beautiful, but if it's any help:

  http://malde.org/~ketil/biohaskell/biolib/Test/QuickBench.hs
                                           ^
(the URL up until here --------------------+ is the darcs archive,
 should you want to look at the whole thing in context)

-k

Re: Benchmarking Framework

Marc Weber
On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 11:41:34AM +0100, Tom Harper wrote:
> I am in the process of writing a library for my MSc dissertation and
> would like to do some benchmarking.  In doing so I need to compare
> the time and space of my library with some other code.  Is there a
> framework for doing so in Haskell, aside from the Profiling tools in
> GHC?   Basically I'm looking for something like QuickCheck, but that
> helps with generating repeatable tests to measure performance.  Is
> there anything out there that anyone would recommend?
Also have a look at smallcheck (hackage) then.
It has been announced on the haskell mailinglist recently;

"SmallCheck is similar to QuickCheck (Claessen and Hughes 2000-) but
instead of testing for a sample of randomly generated values, SmallCheck
tests properties for all the finitely many values up to some depth,
progressively increasing the depth used"

Marc Weber