Booting ghc with system-wide installed Cabal?

Booting ghc with system-wide installed Cabal?

Ömer Sinan Ağacan
Currently we have to build Cabal from scratch after every make clean. Ideally I
should be able to skip this step by installing the correct versions of Cabal
and cabal-install system-wide, but as far as I can see we currently doesn't
support this. Any ideas on how to make this work?

Thanks,

Ömer

Re: Booting ghc with system-wide installed Cabal?

Niklas Larsson
Installing stuff system-wide without doing ‘make install’ would break my expectations for how the build works. Also, how would one return to a pristine state if it was done that way?

// Niklas

> 26 juni 2018 kl. 08:57 skrev Ömer Sinan Ağacan <[hidden email]>:
>
> Currently we have to build Cabal from scratch after every make clean. Ideally I
> should be able to skip this step by installing the correct versions of Cabal
> and cabal-install system-wide, but as far as I can see we currently doesn't
> support this. Any ideas on how to make this work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ömer

Re: Booting ghc with system-wide installed Cabal?

Ömer Sinan Ağacan
We don't have to break anyone's workflow. We could introduce an ENV var or a
flag for this.

> Also, how would one return to a pristine state if it was done that way?

By unsetting the ENV var or not using the flag.

Ömer
Niklas Larsson <[hidden email]>, 26 Haz 2018 Sal, 10:26
tarihinde şunu yazdı:

> Installing stuff system-wide without doing ‘make install’ would break my expectations for how the build works. Also, how would one return to a pristine state if it was done that way?
>
> // Niklas
>
> > 26 juni 2018 kl. 08:57 skrev Ömer Sinan Ağacan <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Currently we have to build Cabal from scratch after every make clean. Ideally I
> > should be able to skip this step by installing the correct versions of Cabal
> > and cabal-install system-wide, but as far as I can see we currently doesn't
> > support this. Any ideas on how to make this work?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ömer

Re: Booting ghc with system-wide installed Cabal?

Ben Gamari-2
Ömer Sinan Ağacan <[hidden email]> writes:

> Currently we have to build Cabal from scratch after every make clean. Ideally I
> should be able to skip this step by installing the correct versions of Cabal
> and cabal-install system-wide, but as far as I can see we currently doesn't
> support this. Any ideas on how to make this work?

Indeed we currently don't support this since ghc-pkg uses the Cabal API
which changes from release to release. I suspect you could hack Hadrian
to make this work (assuming you guaranteed that the system Cabal is
compatible with the in-tree version), but I'm not sure it's something
that we really want to encourage users to do.

Cheers,

- Ben

Niklas Larsson <[hidden email]> writes:

> Installing stuff system-wide without doing ‘make install’ would break
> my expectations for how the build works. Also, how would one return to
> a pristine state if it was done that way?

Hmm, I was assuming it would be up to the user to ensure that a
compatible Cabal is already registered in the user's package database.

Regardless, as I said in my other message, it's not clear to me that
this is something that we really want to introduce complexity to support.

Cheers,

- Ben