Bringing back #ghc IRC logging

Niklas Hambüchen
Hi,

as you may have noticed, #ghc IRC logging has been broken for months
(though the channel topic still says "Logs: http://ircbrowse.net/ghc").

Logs being unavailable is bad because many problems and topics that were
googleable before are no longer googleable.

We have discussed in the last 2 days on #ghc whether we should just join
#ghc with a 0-effort-on-our-side public logging service like botbot.me.

This one in particular doesn't have the best UI but I found it to be
very googleable, and many open-source projects use it successfully.

Is anybody opposed to this?

Niklas

Re: Bringing back #ghc IRC logging

Ben Gamari-2
Niklas Hambüchen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> as you may have noticed, #ghc IRC logging has been broken for months
> (though the channel topic still says "Logs: http://ircbrowse.net/ghc").

I am very much in favor of doing something about this. Unfortunately,
Chris Done stepped back from ircbrowse.net around the time that #ghc
started using it for logging. Moving to a third-party service like
botbot.me sounds quite reasonable to m.e

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Bringing back #ghc IRC logging

Niklas Hambüchen
Hey Ben,

I haven't heard of a single concern of enabling botbot.me over the last
3 months.

Can we go ahead and enable it?

All we need is a channel op to fill out https://botbot.me/request/.

On 12/07/17 17:29, Ben Gamari wrote:
> I am very much in favor of doing something about this. Unfortunately,
> Chris Done stepped back from ircbrowse.net around the time that #ghc
> started using it for logging. Moving to a third-party service like
> botbot.me sounds quite reasonable to m.e

Re: Bringing back #ghc IRC logging

Ben Gamari-2
Niklas Hambüchen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hey Ben,
>
> I haven't heard of a single concern of enabling botbot.me over the last
> 3 months.
>
> Can we go ahead and enable it?
>
> All we need is a channel op to fill out https://botbot.me/request/.

Yep, let's do it. Thanks for following up on this!

Herbert, can you complete the request?

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: Bringing back #ghc IRC logging

Moritz Angermann-2
Just the other day, someone said logging *did* work again...
and indeed, it seems like it does:

http://ircbrowse.net/browse/ghc?id=202340&timestamp=1508883548#t1508883548

Cheers,
 Moritz

> On Oct 25, 2017, at 9:55 AM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Niklas Hambüchen <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hey Ben,
>>
>> I haven't heard of a single concern of enabling botbot.me over the last
>> 3 months.
>>
>> Can we go ahead and enable it?
>>
>> All we need is a channel op to fill out https://botbot.me/request/.
>>
> Yep, let's do it. Thanks for following up on this!
>
> Herbert, can you complete the request?
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben

Re: Bringing back #ghc IRC logging

lonetiger
Herbert said he submitted the request months ago.

As botbot.me site says they don't honor every request, so I guess we weren't selected.

I'd still prefer botbot.me as it seems more stable than ircbrowse.net which also doesn't seem to work on mobile (Android, get a server error)