Broken link on download page

AntC
The Hugs download page here:

Has broken links for the latest (Sept 2006) downloads of Hugs for Windows. Should be:

* MinHugs-Sep2006.exe

(Those links currently point to Neil Mitchell's repositories, which have ceased to be.)

Links to downloads for other platforms look OK. (I haven't tried them all.)

Hugs and WinHugs still run fine, even on a 64-bit Windows machine, by the way. And Trex just works like it says on the tin.

AntC

Re: Broken link on download page

Neil Mitchell
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for finding it. I don't even know how to update the website.
Ross (cc'd) might...

Thanks, Neil
On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 1:35 AM Anthony Clayden
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Hugs download page here:
> https://www.haskell.org/hugs/pages/downloading.htm
>
> Has broken links for the latest (Sept 2006) downloads of Hugs for Windows. Should be:
>
> * WinHugs-Sep2006.exe
> https://www.haskell.org/hugs/downloads/2006-09/WinHugs-Sep2006.exe
>
> * MinHugs-Sep2006.exe
> https://www.haskell.org/hugs/downloads/2006-09/MinHugs-Sep2006.exe
>
> (Those links currently point to Neil Mitchell's repositories, which have ceased to be.)
>
> Links to downloads for other platforms look OK. (I haven't tried them all.)
>
> Hugs and WinHugs still run fine, even on a 64-bit Windows machine, by the way. And Trex just works like it says on the tin.
>
> AntC

Hugs troubs: build from source on Windows

AntC
Thank you Neil, I'm amazed anybody's still monitoring this forum. (I was more posting for the sake of posterity/somebody else trying to revive Hugs.)

In that case, I'm sure you'll remember this ;-)

I'm building Hugs from the Sep 2006 source, on a 64-bit Windows 8 machine, using MinGW32.

The good news is it built and I can at least run the interpreter.

The bad news is I hacked and bumbled my way through, so I'm not sure what I got. In particular, three .dll's didn't build, so I copied them over from the binaries distro; then hacked the Makefile; then carried on. Those three are

Ptr.dll; Alloc.dll; Error.dll  -- from corresponding .c in ./libraries/bootlib/Foreign, and sub-dirs.

Presumably the .c didn't compile. Those are three of the four .dll's mentioned in your August 2006 message.

Can you remember any clues as to what was wrong or where to go looking?

I can explain the message in your post, because I got the same message in an earlier attempt: "too many arguments to function 'mkdir'."

Microsoft in their wisdom changed the command. There's a call to it from dirprim.c, guarded by a check of the HOST_OS. The August 2006 message is wrt a call in HsBase.h, similarly guarded but maybe subtly different?:

    INLINE HsInt
    __hscore_mkdir( HsAddr pathName, HsInt mode )
    {  ...  mkdir  ... }

Full disclosure: I got the error re 'mkdir' when I was trying to compile under MSys2 -- trying to be modern. That gives a HOST_OS of 'msys', and Hugs just doesn't know about it. I tried hacking config.sub, but ran into more and more trouble in other places. Eventually I abandoned MSys2 and fell back to old MSys vintage 2011.

Thank you for any pointers(!) And thank you Hugs team for such a robust/long-lived piece of software. Building Hugs (or at least building whatever I've got) has been less trouble than GHC on Windows looks to be

AntC