Broken links in GHC User’s Manual

Wolfgang Jeltsch-3
Hi!

When I go to https://www.haskell.org/ghc/ and click on “Documentation”,
I’m taken to

    https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/  .

Clicking there on the entry for Section 9.1, for example, takes me to

    https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/glasgow_exts.html  ,

where there is no page. On the other hand, when I go to

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/index.html

(which I have in my bookmarks) and then click on the entry for
Section 9.1, I’m taken to

    https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/glasgow_exts.html  ,

where there is the expected page.

Could this perhaps be fixed? Thank you.

All the best,
Wolfgang

Re: Broken links in GHC User’s Manual

Adam Sandberg Eriksson
Somewhat related: wouldn't it be better if the latest docs redirected you to the "forever" stable link for the latest release? This would also lessen possible link rot as raised in https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/issues/18404.

Adam Sandberg Eriksson

On Sat, 11 Jul 2020, at 15:42, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

> Hi!
>
> When I go to https://www.haskell.org/ghc/ and click on “Documentation”,
> I’m taken to
>
>     https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/  .
>
> Clicking there on the entry for Section 9.1, for example, takes me to
>

> https://downloads.haskell.org/ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/glasgow_exts.html  ,
>
> where there is no page. On the other hand, when I go to
>
>     https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/index.html
>
> (which I have in my bookmarks) and then click on the entry for
> Section 9.1, I’m taken to
>

> https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/glasgow_exts.html  ,
>
> where there is the expected page.
>
> Could this perhaps be fixed? Thank you.
>
> All the best,
> Wolfgang

Re: Broken links in GHC User’s Manual

Ben Gamari-2
"Adam Sandberg Eriksson" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Somewhat related: wouldn't it be better if the latest docs redirected you to the "forever" stable link for the latest release? This would also lessen possible link rot as raised in https://gitlab.haskell.org/ghc/ghc/-/issues/18404.

Yes, that is fair. It's slightly less convenient from a sysadmin
perspective but I agree that it's the right thing to do.

Cheers,

- Ben