Quantcast

Building lambdabot

Joe Bruce
I've had a bit of an adventure trying to build and run lambdabot on my box.  'cabal install lambdabot' does not work.  It states it's not GHC 6.12 (and certainly not 7.0) compatible, but I tried 6.12 anyway and got nowhere.  Next, I tried 6.10 but failed on the unix dependency (in the same manner as this thread).  The thread is unresolved, so I've not tried modifying the cabal build-depends.  I'm hoping to find someone who has a working lambdabot setup who can point me in the right direction.  What further information about my struggles should I provide?

Thanks,
Joe

Re: Building lambdabot

Rogan Creswick
On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Joe Bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've had a bit of an adventure trying to build and run lambdabot on my box.
>  'cabal install lambdabot' does not work.  It states it's not GHC 6.12 (and
> certainly not 7.0) compatible, but I tried 6.12 anyway and got nowhere.

I'm assuming you ran into the mtl-2.0 api changes with respect to
State.  I didn't have any trouble building lambdabot after setting an
upper version bound on the mtl dependency in lambdabot.cabal:

 Library
    build-depends: base, mtl <= 2.0, bytestring, unix

I used ghc-6.12.3, and cabal-dev.

--Rogan

>  Next, I tried 6.10 but failed on the unix dependency (in the same manner as
> this thread).  The thread is unresolved, so I've not tried modifying the
> cabal build-depends.  I'm hoping to find someone who has a working lambdabot
> setup who can point me in the right direction.  What further information
> about my struggles should I provide?
> Thanks,
> Joe

Re: Building lambdabot

Rogan Creswick
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Rogan Creswick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> State.  I didn't have any trouble building lambdabot after setting an
> upper version bound on the mtl dependency in lambdabot.cabal:
>
>  Library
>    build-depends: base, mtl <= 2.0, bytestring, unix

My mistake, that should be strictly less-than:

  Library
    build-depends: base, mtl < 2.0, bytestring, unix

--Rogan

> I used ghc-6.12.3, and cabal-dev.
>
> --Rogan
>

>>  Next, I tried 6.10 but failed on the unix dependency (in the same manner as
>> this thread).  The thread is unresolved, so I've not tried modifying the
>> cabal build-depends.  I'm hoping to find someone who has a working lambdabot
>> setup who can point me in the right direction.  What further information
>> about my struggles should I provide?
>> Thanks,
>> Joe

Re: Building lambdabot

Joe Bruce
Rogan,

Thanks for taking a look at it.  No, mtl is not the problem, at least not yet.

A detail that I've discovered is important: I'm on Mac OS X (10.6).  readline is my problem, and readline + mac + haskell seems to be a bad mix.

Macports installs readline in /opt/local/ by default, so I discovered I needed to install this way:
cabal install lambdabot --configure-option=--with-readline-includes="/opt/local/include" --configure-option=--with-readline-libraries="/opt/local/lib"

That got the readline dependency installed correctly, but then the lambdabot build complained about the architecture (32- vs 64-bit).  This thread was somewhat helpful.  I reinstalled readline via macports with the universal flag and got past that error.

Now I'm stuck on readline again [lambdabot build step 28 of 81]:
"/Users/joe/.cabal/lib/readline-1.0.1.0/ghc-6.12.3/HSreadline-1.0.1.0.o: unknown symbol `_rl_basic_quote_characters'"

What do I do with that?

Re: Building lambdabot

Max Bolingbroke-2
On 6 January 2011 07:27, Joe Bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now I'm stuck on readline again [lambdabot build step 28 of 81]:
> "/Users/joe/.cabal/lib/readline-1.0.1.0/ghc-6.12.3/HSreadline-1.0.1.0.o:
> unknown symbol `_rl_basic_quote_characters'"

This seems to have been covered on Stack Overflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1979612/using-cabal-readline-package-on-i386-macbook-snow-leopard

Re: Building lambdabot

Joe Bruce
Thanks, Max.  I had seen that thread already, but I don't understand how it helps me.  I'm on a x64 mac and I have both an i386 and x64 version of readline installed (via macports install readline +universal).  Perhaps cabal is choosing the wrong one.  How do I find out?  How do I tell it which to use?  And which do I want it to use?

On 6 January 2011 16:11, Joe Bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks, Max.  I had seen that thread already, but I don't understand how it
> helps me.  I'm on a x64 mac and I have both an i386 and x64 version of
> readline installed (via macports install readline +universal).  Perhaps
> cabal is choosing the wrong one.  How do I find out?  How do I tell it which
> to use?  And which do I want it to use?

Well, MacPorts +universal should install fat binaries that include
both x86 and x64. On my machine:

"""
mbolingbroke@c089 ~
$ file /opt/local/lib/libreadline.5.0.dylib
/opt/local/lib/libreadline.5.0.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2
architectures
/opt/local/lib/libreadline.5.0.dylib (for architecture i386): Mach-O
dynamically linked shared library i386
/opt/local/lib/libreadline.5.0.dylib (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O
64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64

mbolingbroke@c089 ~
$ file /opt/local/lib/libreadline.a
/opt/local/lib/libreadline.a: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/opt/local/lib/libreadline.a (for architecture i386): current ar
archive random library
/opt/local/lib/libreadline.a (for architecture x86_64): current ar
archive random library
"""

GHC on OS X builds 32 bit executables, so you need to link against
these binaries. Long story short:

$ cabal unpack readline

Then edit readline.cabal to add this line to the end:

  extra-lib-dirs:  /opt/local/lib

(You must indent it to put it in the "library" section). Finally:

$ sudo cabal install
--configure-option=--with-readline-includes="/opt/local/include"
--configure-option=--with-readline-libraries="/opt/local/lib"

It will now work. You can try it by opening ghci and typing:

System.Console.Readline.readline "Command Me> "

An alternative to editing the cabal file would have been to link to
the Macports fat-binary libreadline.a from the OS X system library
directories (maybe /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib).

Cheers,
Max

Re: Building lambdabot

Joe Bruce
Thanks Max.  That makes a lot of sense.  That change got me to the point of linking lambdabot.

I then encountered this error:

Linking dist/build/lambdabot/lambdabot ...
Undefined symbols:
  "_iconv_open", referenced from:
      _hs_iconv_open in libHSbase-4.2.0.2.a(iconv.o)
     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_open)
  "_iconv", referenced from:
      _hs_iconv in libHSbase-4.2.0.2.a(iconv.o)
     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_open, _hs_iconv , _hs_iconv_close )
  "_iconv_close", referenced from:
      _hs_iconv_close in libHSbase-4.2.0.2.a(iconv.o)
     (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_close)

Let's see if I'm catching on.  From here and here, I learned I have iconv from my Mac and iconv from MacPorts, but the solutions didn't work, and didn't really make sense to me.  readline is compiled with iconv from MacPorts, and base is compiled with iconv from my Mac, and they're slightly different.  How do I fix this?  Can I tell readline to use my Mac's iconv even though I installed it with MacPorts?

Re: Building lambdabot

Max Bolingbroke-2
On 7 January 2011 06:20, Joe Bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Max.  That makes a lot of sense.  That change got me to the point of
> linking lambdabot.

Well, I tried to see if I could reproduce your problem but didn't get
to this stage. It looks like v4.2.2.1 from Hackage hasn't been updated
for donkeys years and breaks massively because of at least the new
exceptions library, mtl 2.0 and the syb package being split off from
base.

I started to fix these issues but lost the will to live at step "[39
of 81] Compiling Plugin.Eval". Do you have access to some fixed source
code that I might be able to build on GHC 7?

> readline is compiled with iconv from
> MacPorts,

I don't think readline links against iconv. What that error says to me
is that GHC is failing to link against *any* iconv. I bet that it's
because you have iconv installed via Macports without +universal. Try:

$ file /opt/local/lib/libiconv.a

It should say:

/opt/local/lib/libiconv.a: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.a (for architecture i386): current ar archive
random library
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.a (for architecture x86_64): current ar
archive random library

If it doesn't, do:

$ sudo port install libiconv +universal

And then link Lambdabot again.

Does that help?
Max

Re: Building lambdabot

Gwern Branwen
On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Max Bolingbroke
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, I tried to see if I could reproduce your problem but didn't get
> to this stage. It looks like v4.2.2.1 from Hackage hasn't been updated
> for donkeys years and breaks massively because of at least the new
> exceptions library, mtl 2.0 and the syb package being split off from
> base.

I haven't commented before because most of the issues seemed to be Mac
specific, which I know nothing about, but avoid the Hackage packages
for lambdabot. You should be working out of darcs for lambdabot and
its split-out packages like show or unlambda:
http://code.haskell.org/lambdabot/

Darcs lambdabot ought to work reasonably well with GHC 6.12.1, which
is what I have.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net

Re: Building lambdabot

Joe Bruce

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Max Bolingbroke <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't think readline links against iconv. What that error says to me
is that GHC is failing to link against *any* iconv. I bet that it's
because you have iconv installed via Macports without +universal. Try:

$ file /opt/local/lib/libiconv.a

It should say:

/opt/local/lib/libiconv.a: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.a (for architecture i386):      current ar archive
random library
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.a (for architecture x86_64):    current ar
archive random library

If nothing else, I've learned about checking locations and architectures of libraries in this little adventure, so I had checked that prior to writing.  I do in fact have the universal binary installed.  What's more, both the macport and system versions are universal.  I tried telling cabal to explicitly use each, separately, and it failed both times, though it gave me a different error when compiling against the system lib.  (It complained about readline again, which is why I assumed readline had some dependency on iconv.)

I'm going to try what Gwern recommended (using the darcs repository for lambdabot) before I continue down this route.

Thanks for your persistence.

Re: Building lambdabot

Brandon S Allbery KF8NH-2

Re: Building lambdabot

Joe Bruce
Wow, it sure has taken me a long time to get back to this, but I got it to work!  Two ways actually.  I did them both from scratch, just to make sure I understood what was going on and could communicate it for the next poor sap that is as ignorant as I was.

All this is done with GHC-6.12.3, cabal, readline-1.0.1.0,

In both cases, readline needed to be install.  On a mac, this is troublesome because the mac comes with editline.  Macports installs readline fine, except you have to make sure it's universal ('port install readline +universal') since GHC needs 32-bit libraries.  When installing the haskell readline package, cabal has to be told where to find the macports readline ('cabal install --configuration-option=--with-readline-libraries=/opt/local/lib --configuration-option=--with-readline-includes=/opt/local/include --extra-lib-dirs=/opt/local/lib --extra-include-dirs=/opt/local/include readline').

The two ways of installing lambdabot branch from here.  The first is from hackage, but it needs to be patched and I don't think the patch is complete anymore.  The patch is at http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Image:Lambdabot.patch.

cabal unpack lambdabot
cd lambdabot
wget <patch url> -O | patch -p1
cabal install --extra-lib-dirs=/opt/local/lib --extra-include-dirs=/opt/local/include

lambdabot should compile, but will complain about arrows when run (because the patch is insufficient).  You can manually correct it, or try the other method: installing from darcs.
I had to manually install Stream-0.3 as lambdabot required >= 0.3 but something else required Stream < 0.4.  'cabal install' in the lambdabot dir and it should be happy.

Should/can I update the haskellwiki with this install process?  Should the mac readline info go there too?

Thank you to everyone who helped me sort this out; I learned quite a bit.
Joe

Re: Building lambdabot

Max Bolingbroke-2
On 18 January 2011 19:32, Joe Bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I did them both from scratch, just to make sure I
> understood what was going on and could communicate it for the next poor sap
> that is as ignorant as I was.

Congratulations :-)

> Should/can I update the haskellwiki with this install process?  Should the
> mac readline info go there too?

That sounds like a good thing to do. Also, oo you know if there's any
reason that the most recent lambdabot is not pushed to Hackage? That
might make things even easier for others who wish to install it. It
certainly confused me!

Cheers,
Max

Re: Building lambdabot

Gwern Branwen
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Max Bolingbroke
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> That sounds like a good thing to do. Also, oo you know if there's any
> reason that the most recent lambdabot is not pushed to Hackage? That
> might make things even easier for others who wish to install it. It
> certainly confused me!
>
> Cheers,
> Max

It had a lot of issues which meant it wouldn't build anywhere, where
at least the Hackage version worked at some point. I spent this
evening working on fixing issues (rewriting the show package to use
QuickCheck 2 rather than QuickCheck 1 was not fun!) and have uploaded
a lambdabot and show that compile for me on GHC 6.12.1

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net

Re: Building lambdabot

Gwern Branwen
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:24 AM, Max Bolingbroke
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20 January 2011 01:51, Gwern Branwen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It had a lot of issues which meant it wouldn't build anywhere, where
>> at least the Hackage version worked at some point. I spent this
>> evening working on fixing issues (rewriting the show package to use
>> QuickCheck 2 rather than QuickCheck 1 was not fun!) and have uploaded
>> a lambdabot and show that compile for me on GHC 6.12.1
>
> The show package almost compiles on GHC 7, but:
>
> * You need to loosen the base upper bound to < 4.4
> * If using base >= 4, you need to depend on the syb package as well
> (current version 0.3)

Would this break GHC 6.12 builds? Since I do not have GHC 7 installed
and, given the breakage I experienced when I installed it the other
day and tried to cabal-install my usual tools, will not have it
installed any time soon, I am leery of any GHC 7-related changes.

data-memocombinators is only the tip of the iceberg; I believe much of
lambdabot would need modifications. (Apparently Control.OldException
has gone away, which alone guarantees many changes.) So there wouldn't
be much point to changing show.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net

Re: Building lambdabot

Max Bolingbroke-2
On 20 January 2011 17:30, Gwern Branwen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> * You need to loosen the base upper bound to < 4.4
>> * If using base >= 4, you need to depend on the syb package as well
>> (current version 0.3)
>
> Would this break GHC 6.12 builds?

Thats why I suggested the flag stanza. Cabal has a weird kind of flag
semantics where it will try every possible combination of flags until
it finds one that builds. The solution I suggested uses this behaviour
to either depend on base >= 4 && < 4.4 WITH syb, OR base < 4 WITHOUT
syb. Because of the default flag setting of True, the first
possibility will be tried first, but it if fails Cabal will just fall
back on base < 4.

In short, it should work perfectly for either GHC 7 or 6.12 clients
(modulo syntax issues - I haven't actually tried the syntax I sent
you).

> data-memocombinators is only the tip of the iceberg; I believe much of
> lambdabot would need modifications. (Apparently Control.OldException
> has gone away, which alone guarantees many changes.) So there wouldn't
> be much point to changing show.

Actually, I:
 * Fixed the show upper bound
 * Fixed data-memocombinators and data-inttrie upper bounds (and sent
a pull request to get Luke to take these changes upstream)
 * Got Wouter to change the upper bound on IOSpec (will be in the
0.2.2 release, out soon)

And after all that lambdabot seemed to compile OK (though I got a
link-time error about iconv because I'm on a Mac). So if you fix show
GHC 7 users will be able to cabal install lambdabot!

Cheers,
Max

Re: Building lambdabot

Gwern Branwen
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Max Bolingbroke
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20 January 2011 17:30, Gwern Branwen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> * You need to loosen the base upper bound to < 4.4
>>> * If using base >= 4, you need to depend on the syb package as well
>>> (current version 0.3)
>>
>> Would this break GHC 6.12 builds?
>
> Thats why I suggested the flag stanza. Cabal has a weird kind of flag
> semantics where it will try every possible combination of flags until
> it finds one that builds. The solution I suggested uses this behaviour
> to either depend on base >= 4 && < 4.4 WITH syb, OR base < 4 WITHOUT
> syb. Because of the default flag setting of True, the first
> possibility will be tried first, but it if fails Cabal will just fall
> back on base < 4.
>
> In short, it should work perfectly for either GHC 7 or 6.12 clients
> (modulo syntax issues - I haven't actually tried the syntax I sent
> you).

No, there's another issue. I've recorded this version;

hunk ./show/show.cabal 25
+Flag base4
+ Default: False
+
hunk ./show/show.cabal 32
-   build-depends:       base<4, random, QuickCheck>=2.4, smallcheck>=0.4
+   build-depends:       random, QuickCheck>=2.4, smallcheck>=0.4
+   if flag(base4)
+    build-depends:       base>=4 && <4.4, syb >= 0.3 && < 0.4
+   else
+    build-depends:       base<4

Notice the flag defaults to False, not True. When I tried it with True, I got:

$ cabal install
Resolving dependencies...
cabal: dependencies conflict: base-3.0.3.2 requires syb ==0.1.0.2 however
syb-0.1.0.2 was excluded because syb-0.3 was selected instead
syb-0.1.0.2 was excluded because show-0.4.1 requires syb ==0.3.*

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net

Re: Building lambdabot

Max Bolingbroke-2
On 20 January 2011 20:50, Gwern Branwen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Notice the flag defaults to False, not True. When I tried it with True, I got:
>
> $ cabal install
> Resolving dependencies...
> cabal: dependencies conflict: base-3.0.3.2 requires syb ==0.1.0.2 however
> syb-0.1.0.2 was excluded because syb-0.3 was selected instead
> syb-0.1.0.2 was excluded because show-0.4.1 requires syb ==0.3.*

Suprising. It certainly seems to contradict my understanding of how
Cabal works (which is derived from
http://www.haskell.org/cabal/release/cabal-latest/doc/users-guide/authors.html#conditional-resolution)

Anyway, I'm glad that you have recorded a patch which at least gives
GHC 7 a chance of working. If I knew where the repo was I would try it
out (it doesn't seem to be linked anywhere from
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/show/0.4.1/show.cabal).

Cheers,
Max

Re: Building lambdabot

Gwern Branwen
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Max Bolingbroke
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20 January 2011 20:50, Gwern Branwen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Notice the flag defaults to False, not True. When I tried it with True, I got:
>>
>> $ cabal install
>> Resolving dependencies...
>> cabal: dependencies conflict: base-3.0.3.2 requires syb ==0.1.0.2 however
>> syb-0.1.0.2 was excluded because syb-0.3 was selected instead
>> syb-0.1.0.2 was excluded because show-0.4.1 requires syb ==0.3.*
>
> Suprising. It certainly seems to contradict my understanding of how
> Cabal works (which is derived from
> http://www.haskell.org/cabal/release/cabal-latest/doc/users-guide/authors.html#conditional-resolution)
>
> Anyway, I'm glad that you have recorded a patch which at least gives
> GHC 7 a chance of working. If I knew where the repo was I would try it
> out (it doesn't seem to be linked anywhere from
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/show/0.4.1/show.cabal).

It's just a folder in the lambdabot repo, as is lambdabot-utils and
unlambda and brainfuck.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net