Cabal and IPv6

Serguey Zefirov
I have found that Cabal does not work on IPv6-only networks (which my machine happen to be part of).

The problem is basically this: "ping hackage.haskell.org" does not resolve host while "ping6 hackage.haskell.org" does. Thus cabal cannot do anything useful on that machine.

Do anyone have a solution for that? I was unable to find any on the internet. ;)

Re: Cabal and IPv6

Gershom Bazerman
Good question! At the moment we don’t have ipv6 enabled on our cdn — it looks like it was only recently made available to configure that way for general use [1]. I’ve talked to other admins, and I hope we can just turn on the switch and have it work going forward. Until then, here’s the ipv6 address of the current origin hackage server, which can perhaps be used in the meantime?

2001:4800:7821:103:be76:4eff:fe04:b11a

[1] https://www.fastly.com/blog/ipv6-fastly

Cheers,
Gershom

On April 26, 2017 at 5:43:37 PM, Serguey Zefirov ([hidden email]) wrote:

> I have found that Cabal does not work on IPv6-only networks (which my
> machine happen to be part of).
>
> The problem is basically this: "ping hackage.haskell.org" does not resolve
> host while "ping6 hackage.haskell.org" does. Thus cabal cannot do anything
> useful on that machine.
>
> Do anyone have a solution for that? I was unable to find any on the
> internet. ;)

Re: Cabal and IPv6

Joachim Durchholz
ping doesn't seem to have an ip-version-agnostic setting.
cabal could try both ping and ping6.
Question is: Why does cabal even require ping? pinging a host is useful in
network monitoring, but I have yet to see a situation where it is even
helpful to establish a connection.

> Good question! At the moment we don’t have ipv6 enabled on our cdn —
> it looks like it was only recently made available to configure that way
> for general use [1]. I’ve talked to other admins, and I hope we can just
> turn on the switch and have it work going forward. Until then, here’s
> the ipv6 address of the current origin hackage server, which can perhaps
> be used in the meantime?
>
> 2001:4800:7821:103:be76:4eff:fe04:b11a
>
> [1] https://www.fastly.com/blog/ipv6-fastly
>
> Cheers,
> Gershom
>
> On April 26, 2017 at 5:43:37 PM, Serguey Zefirov ([hidden email])
> wrote:
>> I have found that Cabal does not work on IPv6-only networks (which my
>> machine happen to be part of).
>>
>> The problem is basically this: "ping hackage.haskell.org" does not
>> resolve
>> host while "ping6 hackage.haskell.org" does. Thus cabal cannot do
>> anything
>> useful on that machine.
>>
>> Do anyone have a solution for that? I was unable to find any on the
>> internet. ;)

Re: Cabal and IPv6

Herbert Valerio Riedel-3
Hello!

While the primary upstream doesn't have an AAAA record, one of the
mirrors[1] does have a fully functioning AAAA record, and I'd expect
hackage-security's mirror fallback logic to fallback to that one.

If you're using a recent cabal 1.24, you will have to enable the
hackage-security capable transport by enabling the "secure" repos by
making sure the "secure: True" line is active like so in your
~/.cabal/config

repository hackage.haskell.org
  url: http://hackage.haskell.org/
  secure: True

Starting with the soon to be released cabal 2.0 version,
hackage-security is enabled by default.

If this still doesn't work for you, please file an issue at
https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues

 [1]: http://objects-us-west-1.dream.io/hackage-mirror/"

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 11:42 PM, Serguey Zefirov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have found that Cabal does not work on IPv6-only networks (which my
> machine happen to be part of).
>
> The problem is basically this: "ping hackage.haskell.org" does not resolve
> host while "ping6 hackage.haskell.org" does. Thus cabal cannot do anything
> useful on that machine.
>
> Do anyone have a solution for that? I was unable to find any on the
> internet. ;)

Re: Cabal and IPv6

Serguey Zefirov

ping doesn't seem to have an ip-version-agnostic setting.
cabal could try both ping and ping6.
Question is: Why does cabal even require ping? pinging a host is useful in
network monitoring, but I have yet to see a situation where it is even
helpful to establish a connection.

Most probably I was not quite clear in the description of the situation.

Cabal does not require ping6. It was me trying to resolve the problem who tried ping and ping6, not cabal. And I found that all hosts on the machine are accessible only through IPv6.

Cabal internally uses IPv4 calls/data structures, it seems. And fails.

A proposition: is it even remotely good idea to replace in cabal source code all calls to web API to invocation of curl/wget?

> Good question! At the moment we don’t have ipv6 enabled on our cdn —
> it looks like it was only recently made available to configure that way
> for general use [1]. I’ve talked to other admins, and I hope we can just
> turn on the switch and have it work going forward. Until then, here’s
> the ipv6 address of the current origin hackage server, which can perhaps
> be used in the meantime?
>
> 2001:4800:7821:103:be76:4eff:fe04:b11a
>
> [1] https://www.fastly.com/blog/ipv6-fastly
>
> Cheers,
> Gershom
>
> On April 26, 2017 at 5:43:37 PM, Serguey Zefirov ([hidden email])
> wrote:
>> I have found that Cabal does not work on IPv6-only networks (which my
>> machine happen to be part of).
>>
>> The problem is basically this: "ping hackage.haskell.org" does not
>> resolve
>> host while "ping6 hackage.haskell.org" does. Thus cabal cannot do
>> anything
>> useful on that machine.
>>
>> Do anyone have a solution for that? I was unable to find any on the
>> internet. ;)

Re: Cabal and IPv6

Mikhail Glushenkov
Hi,

On 2 May 2017 at 12:52, Serguey Zefirov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Cabal internally uses IPv4 calls/data structures, it seems. And fails.

I believe that cabal-install itself has no IPv4-specific code, since
all that stuff is encapsulated by the HTTP library. From [1] it looks
like the HTTP library supports IPv6.

> A proposition: is it even remotely good idea to replace in cabal source code
> all calls to web API to invocation of curl/wget?

This is how it works already when fetching over HTTPS (if you're on
Windows, it can also use PowerShell as a transport method). Try
changing the Hackage url in .cabal/config to
https://hackage.haskell.org.

[1] https://github.com/haskell/HTTP/pull/59

Re: Cabal and IPv6

Serguey Zefirov

On 2 May 2017 at 12:52, Serguey Zefirov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Cabal internally uses IPv4 calls/data structures, it seems. And fails.

I believe that cabal-install itself has no IPv4-specific code, since
all that stuff is encapsulated by the HTTP library. From [1] it looks
like the HTTP library supports IPv6.

> A proposition: is it even remotely good idea to replace in cabal source code
> all calls to web API to invocation of curl/wget?

This is how it works already when fetching over HTTPS (if you're on
Windows, it can also use PowerShell as a transport method). Try
changing the Hackage url in .cabal/config to
https://hackage.haskell.org.

I am at cabal 1.16 (yep, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) and "https is not supported".

Very sad. :(

I think I'd go  looking for side ways.

[1] https://github.com/haskell/HTTP/pull/59

Re: Cabal and IPv6

Mikhail Glushenkov
Hi,

> I am at cabal 1.16 (yep, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) and "https is not supported".

This is an ancient version, try installing a newer one. Herbert's PPA
[1] has a pre-compiled binary of cabal-install-1.24 (most recent
stable release) for Trusty.

[1] https://launchpad.net/~hvr/+archive/ubuntu/ghc

Re: Cabal and IPv6

Joachim Durchholz
Am 02.05.2017 um 16:53 schrieb Serguey Zefirov:

> I am at cabal 1.16 (yep, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) and "https is not supported".

I think I just got the reminder that 14.04 has reached end-of-life, i.e.
you won't be getting security fixes anymore.
Upgrading to a newer OS might also simplify other software, so now you
have *two* reasons to upgrade ;-)

Re: Cabal and IPv6

Mikhail Glushenkov
Hi,

On 2 May 2017 at 16:17, Joachim Durchholz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think I just got the reminder that 14.04 has reached end-of-life, i.e. you
> won't be getting security fixes anymore.

I think you're thinking about 12.04, 14.04 is going to be supported
until 2019 [1] (LTS releases are supported for five years).

[1] https://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life