Cabal and fps merge into base-package

Einar Karttunen
Hello

How is one supposed to handle fps being merged to the base package
in a Cabal file? Clearly GHC 6.4 will need to depend on the fps
package while with GHC 6.5 such a dependency is superfluous,
and actually having fps installed will cause conflicts.

What is the right solution?

- Einar Karttunen

Re: Cabal and fps merge into base-package

Donald Bruce Stewart
ekarttun:
> Hello
>
> How is one supposed to handle fps being merged to the base package
> in a Cabal file? Clearly GHC 6.4 will need to depend on the fps
> package while with GHC 6.5 such a dependency is superfluous,
> and actually having fps installed will cause conflicts.
>
> What is the right solution?

One solution is to provide 2 .cabal files. One default one, using
whatever the default compiler needs (i.e. -package fps). And for those
on the bleeding edge, a foo.cabal.6.5 perhaps, without the fps package
dep.  These users would then have to perform one extra step to build the
package.

I can't think of a native Cabal way to solve this though. We don't allow
__GLASGOW_HASKELL__ or such numbers inside .cabal files, or conditionals.

-- Don

Re[2]: Cabal and fps merge into base-package

Bulat Ziganshin-2
Hello Donald,

>> How is one supposed to handle fps being merged to the base package
>> in a Cabal file? Clearly GHC 6.4 will need to depend on the fps
>> package while with GHC 6.5 such a dependency is superfluous,
>> and actually having fps installed will cause conflicts.
>>
> I can't think of a native Cabal way to solve this though. We don't allow
> __GLASGOW_HASKELL__ or such numbers inside .cabal files, or conditionals.

it will be great to provide such support inside Cabal, otherwise we will need
separate installation for each compiler version

Re: Cabal and fps merge into base-package

Simon Marlow-5
Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> Hello Donald,
>
> Thursday, May 4, 2006, 3:51:53 AM, you wrote:
>

>>>How is one supposed to handle fps being merged to the base package
>>>in a Cabal file? Clearly GHC 6.4 will need to depend on the fps
>>>package while with GHC 6.5 such a dependency is superfluous,
>>>and actually having fps installed will cause conflicts.
>>>

>>I can't think of a native Cabal way to solve this though. We don't allow
>>__GLASGOW_HASKELL__ or such numbers inside .cabal files, or conditionals.
>
> it will be great to provide such support inside Cabal, otherwise we will need
> separate installation for each compiler version

One extension I've been working on might be able to handle this.

   http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/27

you may recall there was a fairly long discussion on this a while back :-)